• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seated Dimes. Please share your favorites.
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, ldhair said:

This one is special to me even with the damage.

I believe it's the Huge O Reverse of 1838-O

Image_0582.jpg

Image_0583.jpg

...appears to be the fortin 108 variety, huge 0 or also known as very large 0 , tuff variety to locate, the damage is minimal for this variety....

On 11/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, ldhair said:

This is an interesting coin with a sad history....  It will never straight grade.

Image_0564.JPG

Image_0567.JPG

Split-grade city.  As regarding the reverse, I award it an AU-58. (That ought to keep the nitpicker's over "wear" on the highlights at bay.) My sincere condolences on the obverse. 

On 11/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, zadok said:

...appears to be the fortin 108 variety, huge 0 or also known as very large 0 , tuff variety to locate, the damage is minimal for this variety....

I am afraid I am going to have to break with tradition here and take exception to the insidious insinuation seamlessly slipped in here, as illustrated with the following dialogue:

Q.A.:  This [fortin 108 varieties] one of yours?

🐓 :  Yeah, why?

Q.A.:  You saw the memo!  Any damage to these [108s] must be avoided entirely or, absent that, kept to an absolute minimum.  No exceptions!

To what authoritative source do you attribute this highly subjective conjecture masquerading as fact?  Not even a coelacanth has been around long enough to have conducted a personal inspection of every member of this sub-fraternity known to man, to date.  How would we know a proof die crack devotee hasn't similarly developed an affinity for this variety and accumulated a multi-generational hoard of same.  :whistle:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Happy New Year!