• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin grading app
2 2

17 posts in this topic

If an app on Google Play can do all that, why would anyone need TPGS?  That's very dangerous.  It's going to cause a lot of dissension in the ranks.  Spread a lot of misinformation.  Now, we'll read posts from people disputing formal grades from graders.  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the heads-up!

I recall that back around 1990 PCGS and others spent a great deal of money trying to create a computer program to grade coins.  It didn't work then and wouldn't now.  Grading is by its nature is subjective and nuanced and involves a variety of factors that can't be precisely measured.  There could never be a precise set of instructions that would enable a computer to precisely grade coins to the general approval of collectors.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Sheesh!....It is by Next Vision Limited of Hong Kong, which is no different from the Chinese Communist Party any more. 

I love your intermittent references to what the Falun Dong folks refer to, in whispers, as the CCP.,

Hey, maybe it worked just fine with their coinage!  :roflmao:

On 11/14/2022 at 10:06 PM, Sandon said:

I recall that back around 1990 PCGS and others spent a great deal of money trying to create a computer program to grade coins.  It didn't work then and wouldn't now.  Grading is by its nature is subjective and nuanced and involves a variety of factors that can't be precisely measured.  There could never be a precise set of instructions that would enable a computer to precisely grade coins to the general approval of collectors.

For modern coins, and probably for the bulk of classic coins, I think Hi-Def scanners could do a reasonable job with MOST coins.  Certainly moderns, where 99.9% of the coins are 70, 69, or 68's. (thumbsu

@GoldFinger1969--I doubt that this could be done for "classic" coins or even modern coins made for circulation because they vary so much in strike, luster, location and severity of abrasions, toning, and other effects of environmental exposure, as well as the undefinably subjective "eye appeal".  As for untoned modern collector issues, they could possibly be graded 68-70 by computer because they all look virtually alike--which is why they really don't need to be graded as anything other than Superb Gem Uncirculated or Proof anyway!  Even for these issues, how could a computer be programmed to evaluate the positive or negative impact of toning, which varies infinitely in color, pattern, extent, location, and intensity?

On 11/14/2022 at 11:19 PM, Sandon said:

@GoldFinger1969--I doubt that this could be done for "classic" coins or even modern coins made for circulation because they vary so much in strike, luster, location and severity of abrasions, toning, and other effects of environmental exposure, as well as the undefinably subjective "eye appeal".  

I agree with these points.  I know I would not trust a computer scan, even a sophisticated one, to judge a Saint.  My own eyes + TPG + CAC (maybe).

As for untoned modern collector issues, they could possibly be graded 68-70 by computer because they all look virtually alike--which is why they really don't need to be graded as anything other than Superb Gem Uncirculated or Proof anyway!  Even for these issues, how could a computer be programmed to evaluate the positive or negative impact of toning, which varies infinitely in color, pattern, extent, location, and intensity?

Good questions....I guess that is where AI could come in.  But it may be an issue that appears simple on paper but in reality is much more complicated -- like self-driving autos.

@GoldFinger1969I how could a computer be programmed to evaluate the positive or negative impact of toning, which varies infinitely in color, pattern, extent, location, and intensity?

[ I believe, a highly-placed source, speaking ex cathedra on behalf of the congregation stated toning is not (or perhaps, should not) be a factor to be considered in rendering an opinion on a formal grade.]  🤔 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, J P M said:

So now everyone scans there coins and the pictures go directly to the counterfeiters in China so they can do a better job.         I DON'T THINK SO......... 

WINNAH, WINNAH, CHICKEN DINNAH!

Id say with that app out the listings on Ebay and Etsy will really start getting crazy. I bout fell over laughing when it told me that 1909 Lincoln cent was worth $109,000. Its really not funny though. Wonder how many people out there will not know better. And how many will take its word and buy something like that. Ive only been in the hobby for a couple years and I can already see where its heading. I can only imagine how the good ole glory days of collecting was. Would love to have started back then. Before social media took a major toll on everything. And all the endless sources making it easier to spread misinformation. Im sure bad info was being spread back then also. But it has to be alot worse now with You Tube, internet, and now coin grading and pricing apps. I can only imagine whats waiting on down the road. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:29 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Id say with that app out the listings on Ebay and Etsy will really start getting crazy. I bout fell over laughing when it told me that 1909 Lincoln cent was worth $109,000. Its really not funny though. Wonder how many people out there will not know better. And how many will take its word and buy something like that. Ive only been in the hobby for a couple years and I can already see where its heading. I can only imagine how the good ole glory days of collecting was. Would love to have started back then. Before social media took a major toll on everything. And all the endless sources making it easier to spread misinformation. Im sure bad info was being spread back then also. But it has to be alot worse now with You Tube, internet, and now coin grading and pricing apps. I can only imagine whats waiting on down the road. 

You said it Hog........The old days you really needed to know your stuff. It was tough. If you did not belong to a coin club or subscribe to a coin magazine everything would get stretched out or misquoted. Reading and research was a must. This forum is a storehouse of knowledge that newcomers can not grasp because they think the internet information is the gospel and most of it is not. I know it is difficult to see the same 1982 D every day but we have to keep trying or this hobby is not going to be able to survive the Male Cow Feces being handed out to unsuspecting future numismatics.