• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973-D half dollar error possibly silver
3 3

52 posts in this topic

What would be the weight tolerance for silver? The normal weight for a copper clad half dollar is 11.34gr and a copper clad silver is 11.50gr. Just curious, when weighing this coin it jumps from 11.47gr to 11.49gr. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. 

20221108_130048.jpg

20221108_130759.jpg

20221108_130806.jpg

For future reference there is an enormous thread dedicated to a 1971 Kennedy half dollar possibly being struck on the wrong planchet where this topic was beaten to death (multiple times).

Cliffs Notes tip: due to weight tolerance overlap you can't just weigh half dollars to pick up a less than power ball odds shot at having the astronomically rare struck on wrong planchet error.

Pro tip: take four of those 1973's and buy a power ball ticket. You would actually have a shot with less heart burn. 😜 

I am also curious what led you to believe that there was any shot at all of that 1973-D being struck on a 40% Ag planchet that wasn't used after very early in 1971 (like a handful of planchets) except in 1976.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, Hinkle said:

What would be the weight tolerance for silver? The normal weight for a copper clad half dollar is 11.34gr and a copper clad silver is 11.50gr. Just curious, when weighing this coin it jumps from 11.47gr to 11.49gr. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. 

20221108_130048.jpg

20221108_130759.jpg

20221108_130806.jpg

Please don’t go down this wrong planchet rathole. I promise I will lose my composure if you do. Think! Where would a silver planchet come from in 1973?! Nowhere, that’s where. There weren’t any. 

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks guys, I was thinking 40% silver copper clad vs copper nickel clad. I was searching on line and was kinda going by this in the pic.

20221108_151521.jpg

On 11/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, Just Bob said:

The silver clad halves did not have a copper colored band around the edge. If your coin has that band, it is copper nickel clad. End of story.

Hi Bob, it does have that copper band aroundthe edge. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks 

On 11/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, Hinkle said:

Thanks guys, I was thinking 40% silver copper clad vs copper nickel clad. I was searching on line and was kinda going by this in the pic.

20221108_151521.jpg

This is a prime example of why you can't rely on Google for accurate information.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, Just Bob said:

The silver clad halves did not have a copper colored band around the edge. If your coin has that band, it is copper nickel clad. End of story.

What's silver clad?  Never heard of that.  A 40%'er??

On 11/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, tj96 said:

What's silver clad?  Never heard of that.  A 40%'er??

Yep. 80/20 silver/ copper outer layer bonded to  a core of .209 silver/ .791 copper.  Works out to 40% silver/60% copper. If you look at the edge of a half minted from '65 - '70, you can see the slightly darker colored core.

Edited by Just Bob

On 11/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Just Bob said:

Yep. 80/20 silver/ copper outer layer bonded to  a core of .209 silver/ .791 copper.  Works out to 40% silver/60% copper. If you look at the edge of a half minted from '65 - '70, you can see the slightly darker colored core.

I know.  You said: "The silver clad halves "did not" have a copper colored band around the edge."  It's not a well defined band, but the copper color is there. You have to really look for it.  Many 40%'ers have slipped thru the fingers of CRH'ers over the years.   If CRH'ers are just looking at the edges of halves, (and not knowing what they are looking at), they will miss it for sure.  Many nice 40% edges look like modern clad junk! They better be looking at the dates when doing their searching. 

May we see the edge of this coin?  A bright red (uncirculated) or brown (circulated) edge will demonstrate that the coin has a copper core, not the approximately 21% silver core of a silver clad piece, which is much lighter in color.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, tj96 said:

You said: "The silver clad halves "did not" have a copper colored band around the edge."  It's not a well defined band, but the copper color is there. You have to really look for it.  Many 40%'ers have slipped thru the fingers of CRH'ers over the years.   If CRH'ers are just looking at the edges of halves, (and not knowing what they are looking at), they will miss it for sure.  Many nice 40% edges look like modern clad junk! They better be looking at the dates when doing their searching. 

@tj96I'm not sure what you are referring to here. I roll hunt half dollars, looking at the date/mark plus all 3 sides, and have never seen a pre 1971 40% silver clad half dollar with an edge that looked like modern copper nickel clad coins.

The first pic attached is a modern copper nickel clad half dollar with the reddish/brownish copper alloy core visible. You also occasionally get more of a solid silver color on the edge  like to the right, so you have to turn the coin even if you see that.

The second is an older 40% silver clad half dollar with the silver color all the way around. You can make out the slightly darker core JustBob was referring to but it's always silver in color, not like the modern clad junk.

Can you post a pic of the edge for the 40% half dollar coin you are referring to?

Cu-Ni Half.jpg

40%Ag Half.jpg

I know, I've been searching halves for many years, not just silver but errors.  You are obviously searching the right way by looking at the dates and all three sides of the coins...  Many novice CRH'ers are not.  They are just looking at the edge of the coins.  

I'm not saying they look exactly like a modern copper nickel junk clad half.  I said it's not a well defined band, like the one you posted above "but" the line is there.  An untrained eye might confuse it for a junk clad half.

Also, I don't call 65-70 Kennedy halves "Silver Clad", I call them 40%'ers.  Maybe that's where some of the confusion is.

These are all 40%'ers I've found in circulation.  All I'm saying is that in the light, you can see some copper on these edges and could be mistaken for junk clad by an untrained eye.

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

@tj96are those pics in sunlight, which can really mess with appearances? Also, I have heard the 40% silver clad coins referred to as "40% silver" and many just use "silver clad".

I mostly roll hunt quarters, but sometines half dollars too. Haven't really found anything valuable yet. I have these rubber like sorting mats with the more valuable dates, varieties and errors printed on them. Maybe one of these days. 😉

On 11/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, EagleRJO said:

@tj96are those pics in sunlight, which can really mess with appearances? Also, I have heard the 40% silver clad coins referred to as "40% silver" and many just use "silver clad".

I mostly roll hunt quarters, but sometines half dollars too. Haven't really found anything valuable yet. I have these rubber like sorting mats with the more valuable dates, varieties and errors printed on them. Maybe one of these days. 😉

Yes, I took the pictures in sunlight.  Yes, different light and angle of view can mess with the appearance.  For me, the term "silver clad" is to confusing.  It's either silver or it's clad.  The guys I communicate with know the term "40%'er" means 65 to 70 Kennedy halves.  90%'ers are all dimes, quarters, halves & dollars minted 1964 and earlier.  

I roll hunted quarters in 2019, 2020 & 2021 during the W craze!

On 11/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, tj96 said:

Yes, I took the pictures in sunlight.  Yes, different light and angle of view can mess with the appearance.  For me, the term "silver clad" is to confusing.  It's either silver or it's clad.

I really just use 75W/100W bulbs in regular lamps for coins, or a loupe/scope with built in LEDs, so that's probably why there are some differences. Sometimes when I look at a coin in strong sunlight it looks off, and I think why coin standards generally don't recommend that.

To me a silver half dollar coin is one that has a very high overall percentage like around 90% for older silver circulation coins (99.9% for various modern silver bullion coins), and then silver clad has 40% silver overall, and then there is the more modern copper nickel clad coins, or "cupro-nickel" which to me sounds like some kind of metallic drink or a cup full of coins. :grin:

@Hinklefinding that elusive struck on silver clad planchet error is super rare, but it hasn't stopped me from looking as I go through coins. But I don't specifically roll hunt half dollars for that, keeping in mind that the chances are astronomically small. Hopefully you picked up some tips to actually save you some time looking since you don't need to weight them (and it actually wouldn't help) to maybe find that unicorn. ;)

On 6/16/2023 at 6:53 AM, J P M said:

Welcome to the forum.  Some coins do not show a clear copper edge. If you have a scale to weigh the coins it will tell more. 

On 6/16/2023 at 6:58 AM, ldhair said:

Better images would be cool. Looks silver plated. 

Those are not the images of the coins that were up when I commented last?  I agree with Idhair they look plated.