• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017-D penny "Sneezing Lincoln" struck through
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Thought this was awesome. Couldn't find any struck through on line for a 2017. The coin is a little beat up but ok to add to my error collection. 

20221106_101659.jpg

20221106_100912.jpg

20221106_101054.jpg

On 11/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I really dislike when people give "cute" names to minor errors.  I see this on ebay where sellers try to hype minor, non value added errors so new collectors might think they're special and pay a premium.  Sorry, just one of my "hot buttons". 

Hoopster, don't mess up my fun bud. Ahahahah, just joking. I hear where you coming from. It should be stated as what the real error is, and then move on. Real collector's know the legit way to refer an error or other information on coins. Called professional way of terms. :D

On 11/6/2022 at 12:08 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I really dislike when people give "cute" names to minor errors.  I see this on ebay where sellers try to hype minor, non value added errors so new collectors might think they're special and pay a premium.  Sorry, just one of my "hot buttons". 

We all have our hot buttons. I have some you don’t. “Hero worship” of some members is one of mine. 

On 11/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, Hinkle said:

Hoopster, don't mess up my fun bud. Ahahahah, just joking. I hear where you coming from. It should be stated as what the real error is, and then move on. Real collector's know the legit way to refer an error or other information on coins. Called professional way of terms. :D

Real collectors call most of them “spenders”.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, VKurtB said:

We all have our hot buttons. I have some you don’t. “Hero worship” of some members is one of mine. 

I might be kinda guilty of something like that occasionally, but not intentionally as I think it's just part of being a newer member and more serious collector.

I think it's pretty awesome when someone completes a collection or puts together a really nice set or adds some nice coins to that, when I am struggling to just complete one collectors set. It's probably more like ok been there done that, have the t-shirts for more experienced collectors.

Or where I find someone's knowledge and willingness to be really helpful to me as well as others very impressive (even if it's a hard dose of reality). Yes, that includes you two guys and many others, but don't get a  big head on me ... and I may have just pushed VKurtB"s  buttons. 😜 

Whereas to a more experienced collector it might seem like run of the mill stuff most should know. But not to the point of putting someone on a pedestal and constantly talking about and referencing them.

So don't be surprised if I "push your buttons" sometimes. :kidaround: :roflmao:

Edited by EagleRJO

Idk, I think it's a cool looking minor error or deteriorated die, particularly looking at the full obverse worthy of putting it in a flip, labeling it "Sneezing Lincoln", and throwing it in a box labeled "Minors". But to vets who prolly have multiple boxes of these it's likely a ho-hum type of thing.

But I do agree that it wasn't presented very well, including the cute name in the title, instead of just posting "2017-D Cent - Minor Error?" and then just mention the appearance in an offhand or humorous way.

Just my two (Indian head) nickels. ;)