• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thing you found in change purchased or otherwise obtained.
2 2

250 posts in this topic

This blog post is for posting coins or tokens that you have obtained and could have questions about. There is no guarantee anyone could help but these people seem nice and have helped me to answer questions about coins. Please keep the posts clean no swearing and be grateful when some one gives you their honest opinion about a coin or a piece you have posted. We all can't be right 100% of the time but let this be a place to seek help. Newbie and off topic details always welcome here any coin token off metal paraphernalia all are welcome to discuss.   

The thing that I wanted to post first was a purchased coin roll hunt of three rolls of 1998-s proof cents purchased at $30 a piece free shipping. So I purchased these rolls with an understanding from the seller that I would receive the coin in the advertisement which appeared to be a close am proof which he assured me I would receive if I bought all three rolls. I used gloves and I searched all the rolls and all of the coins were the same wide am proof cents so I returned the coins for a full refund and I had to pay the shipping and insurance. Here is a picture of the coin as advertised. I was very hopeful that the rolls contained all 1998-S close am cents but if it looks to good to be true it probably is. Some one here told me I got to check for a space in the FG on the reverse which I will do next time. Better luck next time, Happy coin roll hunting!

1998s.JPG

Here's a questionable coin or counterfeit, this coin was found in copper purchased at 1.99 lb where I had to buy ten pounds from a local coin shop. The coin is a 1806 Hibernia coin which I think is a cent but I don't know, it has King George the second on the obverse. If anybody knows anything about this coin please share. Here is what the coin looks like.

20221105_140240.jpg

20221105_140255.jpg

On 11/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

This blog post is for posting coins or tokens that you have obtained and could have questions about. There is no guarantee anyone could help but these people seem nice and have helped me to answer questions about coins. Please keep the posts clean no swearing and be grateful when some one gives you their honest opinion about a coin or a piece you have posted. We all can't be right 100% of the time but let this be a place to seek help. Newbie and off topic details always welcome here any coin token off metal paraphernalia all are welcome to discuss.   

Correction this is ngc's message board not a blog post.

On 11/5/2022 at 5:11 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Here's a questionable coin or counterfeit, this coin was found in copper purchased at 1.99 lb where I had to buy ten pounds from a local coin shop. The coin is a 1806 Hibernia coin which I think is a cent but I don't know, it has King George the second on the obverse. If anybody knows anything about this coin please share. Here is what the coin looks like.

20221105_140240.jpg

20221105_140255.jpg

Looks like a BRITISH Geo III penny, not an Irish one.  Need better pics, as other have said.

An 1806 British halfpenny or penny (the "Britannia" on the reverse indicates it is British, not Irish) isn't worth much in this low a grade whether genuine or counterfeit. My Standard Catalog of World Coins from 2004 doesn't have a weight for these, so I can't tell which one it is.  You can check the current values on the NGC World Coin Price Guide under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page. The pertinent catalog numbers are KM# 662 for the halfpenny, KM# 663 for the penny. 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:42 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

So I purchased these rolls with an understanding from the seller that I would receive the coin in the advertisement which appeared to be a close am proof which he assured me I would receive if I bought all three rolls.

I'm guessing these rolls were from eBay or Etsy which right off the bat is a red flag as they are pretty much guaranteed to be a ripoff. You are lucky to get a refund.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Is this a legitimate coin or is it a counterfeit? It comes from a coin dealer but I have my doubts about this one and I would like some help.

1853.JPG

18532.JPG

Without having my books to properly dive into this, it looks like this could be the N-14 variety from the placement of the date. Weather or not it is a counterfeit, I am not sure. I don’t see anything that screams out at me but, I am not fully familiar with the fine details of these coins. 

There are at least 33 different die varieties of 1853 large cents, as shown on NGC "VarietyPlus" (under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page), most of which are identified largely by the placement of the date, which varied from die to die.  This is true for most U.S. coins from about 1836 until about 1908, when most production dies were prepared from a "hub" (master die) that usually included all of the design elements, but the date (and any mint mark, until the 1990s) was still punched into the die. (Occasionally, new varieties of earlier U.S. coins such as large cents are still discovered.)

I am quite familiar with this series. Based on your photos, I also see nothing that would identify your coin as a counterfeit, although the color seems a little dark. I see nothing unusual about the "denticles", usually referred to as "border beads" on coins made in close collars like these. (It is almost certainly not a "contemporary" counterfeit that was made as money in the 1850s, as these are rather crude.) I heard some years ago of counterfeits of common date Braided Hair large cents that were made from "spark erosion" or other copy dies that were modeled from genuine coins, and there are now all sorts of fakes coming from China.  However, the genuine pieces are so common that the odds of buying a counterfeit from an established coin dealer would seem rather low. It would require in-person examination and tests of the actual coin itself to say more.  These coins are supposed to weigh approximately 10.89 grams. What does your scale say?

On 11/8/2022 at 5:52 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The NGC photo for this coin does show the 5 into the braid.

E88B81B6-4C59-4B31-B052-134F6174BAE2.jpeg

Thank you I made an offer on the coin for 26.00 free shipping but I don't know if they will except my offer but I cant see paying any more then that for it. This picture shows me a pretty good example of a genuine coin but the stars are a little to worn for my taste. Thank you all very much.  

I got my coin camera microscope today and I am in the process of buying a new sd drive but I haven't found one new or used that I can afford yet I have a budget of $100.00 a month and the coin camera microscope set me back $87 so I got to wait. The good news is I found my nikon battery charger it was plugged into the wall behind a jar so now I just need an sd drive. Did any one read the latest The Numismatist magazine article on pg. 21 titled "Spolerimp" Coins, Part 1 they mention under TIYP Tip that some 2019 west point coins could have been dropped into change. I currently have one whole box of unc 2019 cents left over from 2019 because I don't like to search unc coins I think it's a waist of time because my chances of finding collectables are less. I have had problems getting circulated coins to search from the bank because the Lady who was helping me to get coins was let go from her job. I have made a few phone calls to the credit union here in town and they keep telling me this new guy Brett will call me back when he gets a chance to cut boxes open to find circulated rolls but he never calls. I might have to get a new account at another bank that can agree to service me. I miss Emily she helped me get circulated rolls for about four years and now I just helplessly wait on Brett who I have never met but they say he is the only one who carries a gun and a box cutter. I hope I don't get jokers like I had to deal with back in Vermont. I had one teller that used to help me get coins to search and he used to show me his gold coins that he walked around with in his pocket which I thought was cool but what used to frustrate me is he would charge me a premium of $1 per box and he told me it was because I wasn't a business. I changed banks and I never will go back to that bank. I don't even know how charging a premium for getting coins without a business account could be legal. Does anyone know how to get the coin roll boxes right from coin star? I used to be able to get the coins rolled from coin star through the bank in Shaw's Supermarket in Vermont when I worked their. I used to see the guarda man who came to the store to pick up the coins and he would get the coins to this lady Liz who would trade him new coins from the bank for me so I could get the coin star coins from her at the bank but that was only on special request and only if I was working on the same day the guarda man came. I found a few english pounds that way which are cool but not all that collectable because they are new but still neat to find. I tried bugging the Loomis guys but they carry fire arms and when you try to talk to them are beyond unfriendly they just say I see stand back thank you good bye. Anyway it's getting Late Happy coin roll Hunting and good Luck to all finding circulated rolls!     

On second thought stay off of baidu website I picked it up in a popup for english translation of the site I think that's chinese but I couldn't swear to it point is it's bad news looks like virus protection stopped it from invading my computer. I quarantined the virus called DRC Ive never heard of it but I lucked out my computer is safe I just had to update virus software. What ever that virus is you don't want anything to do with baidu it made my computer sound noisy and ran my battery down to about 10% and now when I reboot it it says that I need to replace my battery and to call HP. I figure it's time for a new computer if I got to replace anything. Besides how do I know that's not the virus asking me to put a chinese part in my computer to start jacking my information. Computers are costly so I hope this one doesn't die on me I leave it plugged in.and it sounds much better after reboot. P.S avoid baidu.

Thank you I hope I get a chance to go to a coin show. I bought the coin in the image they drove a hard bargain and sold it to me for 60.00 which I believe is red book value for an extra fine 45. I am happy with my purchase because the coin still has the crosses on the stars. Thank you for the post Sandon your advice goes along way. I purchased this coins from continental coins located in LA and they assured me the coin is genuine. It's a rarity in my collection because it still has the crosses on the stars I only have one other large cent with that feature still on the coin and am trying to avoid large cents that don't have that feature. Does anyone know how the flying eagle price went up so fast the sales are clearly passing red book prices per grade and I miss getting coins for around 20-35 dollars. I haven't received my sd drive yet but it's in the mail. I found one for 16.99 which is a far better price then 35 dollars which I found was the basic price for one last month. I will avoid chinese sites and stay looking at coin shops and coin stores online. I don't really care for the coin shops here in Oregon everything is so over priced hundreds of dollars above red book. If I can get vacation some time I would like to visit relatives in vermont and check out an old coin shop I used to frequently buy from. I have a few more coins to show you guys when my sd drive comes in one is a large cent from the coins bought by the pound for scrap copper and I believe its genuine and its old not the best condition though but worth having some one check it out. Thank you all as always I will check back later. Happy coin roll hunting everyone. 

Because the "Red Book" is published in April of the year before its date from data compiled months before then, it isn't good as a current price guide.  Please see my following topic for recommendations on "Resources for New Collectors:

Braided hair large cents, especially later dates, were often not struck with full star centers (the lines inside the stars, which is what I think you meant by "crosses"), so even many uncirculated coins don't have them.  The star centers also are usually worn off on coins grading below Extremely Fine.  I, too, prefer well-struck coins.  Here's an 1850 from my own collection, which PCGS graded MS 64BN:

1857389405_1850centobv..jpg.c0f727bbaf60338d01bc18e0bfe4ec77.jpg1022676598_1850centrev..jpg.acfe62c2c4842630be2e817c33092769.jpg

Here is a coin my dad just recently bought for about 35 dollars but the question we have is what is the round film on the reverse of the coin it looks to me like melted plastic from an old coin case but if any one knows what it could be please share your thoughts. I got my sd drive today so I can post new stuff. I got to work a double tonight so I will come back as soon as I can. Thank you all for the great posts and Thank you Sandon I got an old copy of the Big red book delux it is nice to see the different grades. Keep up the good work guys and gals.

morgan1.JPG

morgan2.JPG

On 11/14/2022 at 6:21 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Here is a coin my dad just recently bought for about 35 dollars but the question we have is what is the round film on the reverse of the coin it looks to me like melted plastic from an old coin case but if any one knows what it could be please share your thoughts. I got my sd drive today so I can post new stuff. I got to work a double tonight so I will come back as soon as I can. Thank you all for the great posts and Thank you Sandon I got an old copy of the Big red book delux it is nice to see the different grades. Keep up the good work guys and gals.

The pics certainly aren't flattering, to me the coin has that polished look. As far as the "plastic" on the coin, I'll have to take your word that it is plastic, could have been from an album or case. It's best to avoid coins like this, albeit $35 is not going to break the bank but it's money that would be better spent elsewhere.  

I agree he could have gotten a better coin but he aims for under 50 dollars only this time he forgot to look at the reverse image. It's hard to find good coins online and that's mostly where he shops from a guy called Morgan Dealer it's a shop on ebay. I still shop online to but I go to Continental coins online shop. The shop sells some good coins at decent prices. Here's a pick of a coin that I bought for an ex-girl friend from continental coins it's a 1909 s vdb I bought it for her because we split up due to long distance relation ships never working out and I wanted her to have something special in her and her grandsons coin collection.

1909 s vdb obv.JPG

1909 s vdb rev.JPG

It's a sad day I accidently left the coin safe open while we had company and this coin went missing I paid 51 dollars for it so I am upset. Sorry about the bad picture it's all I have left from the original advertisement. The two others that went missing were the only non defaced large cents I had an 1852 and an 1855 who ever took them took all three of my best large cents. The only good large cent I have now is in the mail the 1853 pictured earlier in this chat board. Oh I hate starting over this happened to me before with wheat cents and indian heads.Luckly back then I had mostly g4's so I wasn't as upset I have found coins better then those but I just can't stand losing something I paid good money for. 

1802missing.JPG

This post has been edited because it told people about a coin they could buy however that website does bad business!

Sorry bad intel!

Edited by pigeonman333rd
This post told people to use a bad website. Sorry bad Intel!