• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Special mint sets

9 posts in this topic

Not be able to find much info on either of these sms sets. 1942 and 1964 trying to find if there really sms sets or something some scammer put together and screwed me on? I've found some info on the '64 but none on a '42 sms. Thanks for any help I can get. 

1942 sms.png

1942sms.png

1964 sms .png

1964sms.png

Someone simply re-used the holders in which the U.S. Mint sold 1966 and 1967 Special Mint Sets (SMS) to house other sets of coins. These holders can easily be opened without damaging them and then snapped back together after substituting different coins. (The 1965 SMS were sold in soft plastic sheets placed in paper envelopes like previous years' proof (1955-64) and uncirculated (1959-64) coin sets.)  The 1942 coins appear to be regular uncirculated or about uncirculated regular issue Philadelphia mint coins, which are rather common.  Some or all of the 1964 coins appear to be proofs, which would have been removed from the soft envelope in which they were issued as a very common proof set.

The only 1964 coins that have been authenticated as SMS were traced to the mint director at that time and are controversial.  They may have simply been first strikes from regular production dies.  They aren't mirror-like like those in your set.

Whether you were "scammed" depends upon what the seller represented these sets to you as and how much he sold them to you for.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:42 PM, Sandon said:

Someone simply re-used the holders in which the U.S. Mint sold 1966 and 1967 Special Mint Sets (SMS) to house other sets of coins. These holders can easily be opened without damaging them and then snapped back together after substituting different coins. (The 1965 SMS were sold in soft plastic sheets placed in paper envelopes like previous years' proof (1955-64) and uncirculated (1959-64) coin sets.)  The 1942 coins appear to be regular uncirculated or about uncirculated regular issue Philadelphia mint coins, which are rather common.  Some or all of the 1964 coins appear to be proofs, which would have been removed from the soft envelope in which they were issued as a very common proof set.

The only 1964 coins that have been authenticated as SMS were traced to the mint director at that time and are controversial.  They may have simply been first strikes from regular production dies.  They aren't mirror-like like those in your set.

Whether you were "scammed" depends upon what the seller represented these sets to you as and how much he sold them to you for.

They were represented as S.M.S. and $75 for the '42 and $60 for the '64..guess should of ask on here before buying.. But was kinda a spur the moment thing and id say I got took big time

If you bought these from an on-line site like ebay you can return them for a refund, the seller lied and misrepresented what he was selling.   Ebay will 100% back you if you file a SNAD (significantly not as described) claim.    If you bought them at a local show I would contact the show promoter and discuss with him any possible options, at the very least I would show up at the next show and very loudly call this sleaze bag out on his selling practices.   But I'm very comfortable being confrontational and not everyone is.  If this transaction occurred via a social media platform you are hosed and have paid some tuition.

Edited by Coinbuf

Sorry to see you got ripped off. I have a few of the 66,67 SMS sets and it makes me sad to see someone using the holders to scam people.

On 11/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you bought these from an on-line site like ebay you can return them for a refund, the seller lied and misrepresented what he was selling.   Ebay will 100% back you if you file a SNAD (significantly not as described) claim.    If you bought them at a local show I would contact the show promoter and discuss with him any possible options, at the very least I would show up at the next show and very loudly call this sleaze bag out on his selling practices.   But I'm very comfortable being confrontational and not everyone is.  If this transaction occurred via a social media platform you are hosed and have paid some tuition.

Seems ive paid tuition to school of live and learn!! I'll just right it on the wall with my other mistakes ive made thanks everyone for responding.

"Special Mint Set" was the name applied to the US Mint's substitute product when proof coin sets were discontinued from 1965-1967. No other US coin sets have this name and no others were ever made.

The Mint had previously issued uncirculated sets including one coin of each denomination from each mint, and proof sets. UNC sets were merely ordinary cons picked from bags and put into cheap paperboard holders. This was an easy way to build a collection since all coins for the calendar year were in the set. When you look on-line be sure of what you are seeing.