• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Newb- Does this seem right? 1982-D

17 posts in this topic

Scared first timer. I submitted this coin for evaluation today. I think it's a 1982-D, small print, 3.1g copper variant. The internet tells me it's only the third to be found and auctioned? Any kind Old timers care to spare an opinion about this little guy that might ease my fears about all those submission fees. 😅 Or that I just paid nearly $200 to possibly waste my time and the time of others.  😬 I think I forgot to check the mint error box and there's nowhere to add notes so I hope they would figure out it's the copper variant. The anxious ramblings of a crazy person. Haha. 

Much appreciated in advance,

T

IMG_20221030_114444.jpg

Why didn't you ask us this question before submitting this coin to a grading service?  This coin is clearly a large date and worth face value in this condition whether brass (95% copper) or copper plated zinc!  Please refer to the photos in your standard "Redbook" or, in the event you don't have one, below are the photos from NGC VarietyPlus:

This is the small date, which doesn't match yours--note particularly the shape of the "8" and "2" and the difference in thickness of the two sets of numerals:

13039-2-1525267957.jpg.

This is the large date, which clearly matches your coin:

13027-3.jpg

Sorry to say I agree with the others that it looks like a large date cent. The "9" and "8" are distinctly above/below the "1" and "2" and not shaped correctly. If that is hard for you to see rotate the picture so the lettering and date are level, and if needed add a rectangle (so you know it's level and square) to the date. See the attached to see what I am referring to. Also attached is a guide to help, but keep in mind there are a lot of over-hyped junk vids on hitting the jackpot with change/rolls, when the reality is the chances of finding the rare 1982-D copper small date are virtually zero.

Also welcome to the forum, and feel free to post any questions you have or coins you are considering submitting. There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on the board that can usually answer questions or refer you to good research sources.

1982-D Cent Topic.jpg

1982-D Lincoln Copper Penny Small Date vs Large Date.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Bob,

First, welcome to our little world. 

Second, how did you guess small date? What was it that led you astray?

On 10/31/2022 at 3:41 PM, BobBumbler said:

Sigh... Well thank you for the kind welcome but doubtfully I'll show my face around here again. Too embarrassed. Siiiigh. 😭😭😭

No need to be embarrassed as mistakes and misconceptions happen to all of us, and just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I just had a total fail with a coin I bid on, which I posted anyway because I felt comfortable that people may just roll their eyes but not bash me and it may be a good reminder to others. And if I looked back at some of my first posts here, I would probably run and hide if I let it get to me. This includes one I do remember on overdates where I was previously incorrectly told it was the result of multiple coin strikes, and the correct info I was being given just wasn't sinking in, as well as at least one other about the grade of a coin where I was way off.

I just dusted myself off and plowed ahead. At least you know of a good source of information now, and maybe post some other coins you found or questions you may have. The members here are very helpful and forgiving of people truly trying to learn! (thumbsu

Edited by EagleRJO

@BobBumbler--If you are truly interested in collecting coins, you should "show [your] face around here again"!  To be successful, you must learn about coins through books and other resources, speak with experienced collectors and dealers, and study the coins themselves.  What you should have learned from your experience are (1) rarities are almost never found in pocket change, (2) before submitting a coin to a grading service, you should have sufficient knowledge about the coin to be reasonably certain that you have correctly identified it, and (3) you should also be reasonably certain that its rarity and condition warrant the costs associated with certification. Here is a post I made describing some print and online resources that may be helpful to you:

Edited by Sandon
misplaced bracket

On 10/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, BobBumbler said:

Enjoy the chuckle on my behalf 😅😅😟

Welcome Bob , No one here is laughing, it happens to a lot of new people. We only want to help new members if we can that is why we tell people to post coins before they send them in for grading. 

Definately the large date. If you ever have anymore you want to send in just ask on here and everyone will be more than happy to help. May save you alot of money. 

I once went to one of my favorite back country Pennsylvania auctions and accidentally left my loupe at home. I had my cheap drugstore “readers”, but not the high mag ones. There was a supposed “bar cent” in the auction which looked legit with my impaired vision. I got it for 8 bucks, and I drove home convincing myself it was real. One glance with proper optics revealed it to be a cast copy. I told myself the 8 bucks was worth it for a convention talk item. 

@BobBumblerI also wanted to share with you that one of the most helpful things I did when starting a series collection was to start posting questions and coins I was looking into on this board before I jumped into that. The members were able to look past what may have seemed like dumb questions at the time to really help me to learn about the coins I was interested in and coin collecting in general. It was extremely helpful and much appreciated.

I would also highly recommend the references linked above by Sandon and following his advice, which should serve you well. I am continuing to lean, and hopefully that will always be the case. So maybe we will see more of you as you continue with this most interesting hobby.

Just my two (Indian head) nickels. 😉

Edited by EagleRJO