• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999-S penny Die Chip
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is a bubble blister as it's zinc. I'm thinking die chip. Very odd that it's happening in the memorial where Lincoln's sitting. Just looking at a few proof sets and this one caught my attention. 

20221026_102439.jpg

20221026_102904.jpg

20221026_103016.jpg

Thanks Moxie15, and JP. I've been working on this coin for a couple of days, this is the best I can do and it changed my thinking on this. Now in this pic by angling it looks like maybe lamination or it took a hit. Looks like the plating is peeling. Whatevers it is , it's Going from pillar through the column. Hmmm hm 

20221030_081730.jpg

If it's a plating defect, that is likely even less desirable than a die chip on a proof coin. If you like it, keep it and move on.    It's rare that something that's hard to see with the naked eye has much value or interest

On 10/30/2022 at 10:34 AM, Hinkle said:

Thanks Moxie15, and JP. I've been working on this coin for a couple of days, this is the best I can do and it changed my thinking on this. Now in this pic by angling it looks like maybe lamination or it took a hit. Looks like the plating is peeling. Whatevers it is , it's Going from pillar through the column. Hmmm hm 

20221030_081730.jpg

You need a break Hinkle. Two days is too much time on this cent. Very nice picture by the way . (thumbsu

That looks like it's projecting outward and not something that's incuse, so it looks like a blister or die chip and not a hit. Is it projecting out in-hand? Very strange either way as it looks like a dude.

Edited by EagleRJO