• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accomplished numismatic goal
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, bsshog40 said:

Congrats. I have the clad proofs from 55-2020. Silver sets from 99-2020. I quit collecting them when the mint went too high on the prices in 2021. Will probably just sell them off one day now. 

Why not catch up,if you’ve gone that far Boss?

Someone decide a safe material for such storage and I'll see if its feasible to cut it out on my Co2 laser engraver. The joints on the boxes are similar. Its my new toy, I'm having difficulty justifying its expense to the significant one..this might help...would acrylic be an option?

Coinbuf, ok, I gave in and bought the IS boxes. Now I’m going to have to unload all those very nice cigar boxes! Lol 😆 at least there is a market for those.

in the long run, whether I keep them or sell them, the IS boxes will be important.

value add for selling, safe storage if keeping. Thanks for the HO.

Bill

Edited by Mr.Bill347

The storage issues discussed here kept me busy for one whole winter.  Although I only have gold coins, which really do not tarnish, I still wanted storage improvements since everything resides in a wooden puzzle box, and that puzzle box resides in a strongbox, and so on, and so on.

I went with Coin Armour individual coin storage bags, and when the 14 coins of the collection, in their NGC holders, were then placed separately in the Coin Armour coin storage bags, and the bags were placed in the puzzle box, the end result was that everything looked like hell.

But I didn't give up.

I then found that by using a comic book size 9 1/2" x 13 3/4" Coin Armour storage bag, and with obsessive wrapping technique — folding and tucking —  I could get the entire collection to fit into one comic book bag.

The outcome is beautiful.  Taut, translucent polyethylene Corrosion Intercept® containment with crisp/clever starting-and-ending-point folds.  Hermetic due to the zipper seal.  Think hospital corner bedsheet folding on steroids.  Spent hours trying one idea after another.  Very enjoyable in the dead of winter, drinking morning coffee, maybe even snow falling outside.

Moreover, the entire puzzle box was then found to fit into one comic book size storage bag, too, with its own folding "puzzle" to solve, and its outcome was equally as beautiful.

It's not all about the individual coins.  Equally satisfying was working on their presentation, protection, inherent mystery, and the overall ingenuity of everything combined.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:10 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Why not catch up,if you’ve gone that far Boss?

You are right with silver stuff. Lol At the current mint prices for these sets, I just don't think they are worth it anymore. Social security makes you look at prices differently.  Lol 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, bsshog40 said:

You are right with silver stuff. Lol At the current mint prices for these sets, I just don't think they are worth it anymore. Social security makes you look at prices differently.  Lol 

Ain’t that the truth!

On 10/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Coinbuf….no more outgassing

0640EFDB-4926-49A8-AA06-517FC77E4E9C.jpeg

Much better Bill (the IS storage, not the outgassing being discussed). :grin:

Btw, I was initially tempted to do a complete mint proof set collection since I have some already (my birth year and some others, including more contemporary ones through an enrollment), but after what you have been through, I think I will pass. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

Eagle, yeah, unless you ready to spend a lot of money, time and effort seeking them out, and quite frankly, to what end?

I understand from a reliable source that NGC may soon allow the creation of custom sets, as does the collectors society branch of NGC. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out how to upload my images yet, so I’m hopeful that will happen. Until then, I know they are safely stored.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:45 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Not sure what I’ll do with them yet

Keep them and occasionally get them out to check them out and marvel at the achievement you accomplished, like with other collections. I would not sell them after the grinder you have been through completing the collection.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Coinbuf….no more outgassing

;-)

1B1088A5-A76C-456C-B6E8-FCC956BAEE6A.jpeg

6AFFC79F-ECE0-410A-9EA2-05A5B3467E91.jpeg

0640EFDB-4926-49A8-AA06-517FC77E4E9C.jpeg

Those are good boxes. I have a few that I keep my certified coins in. They are made well and are a great value. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:45 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thank you Hog! Very kind of you. Not sure what I’ll do with them yet, but accomplished a goal.

I like getting mine out and admiring them quite often. I enjoy looking at them. When they are all out and your looking through them it makes you realized what you accomplished to get them. That always made feel good. Also feels good to know ill have something to pass on to my kids and grandkids if these boys will hurry and give me some.