• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A new CAC grading/slabbing service
1 1

136 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, ronnie stein said:

It definitely opens up a lot of questions. I think this could be good, although he kind of hints that higher end coins will be their main customer base.

I would say they already are as they do not certify all coin series now.

On 10/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

He says he'll be phasing out the Green Sticker's (beans) over time.  Interesting......

This strikes me as one of the most inevitable and funniest actions ever taken in numismatics. 

It definitely opens up a lot of questions. I think this could be good, although he kind of hints that higher end coins will be their main customer base.

...n that isnt a bad thing, originally only higher dollar items were the only coins being submitted...the rationale was to "standardize" the wide gaps between the higher dollar coins caused by price swings between 1 or 2 points on the grading scale...i distinctly remember being at the long beach show in 1985 n witnessing the submission n re-submission of early gold n yes morgan dollars in attempts to get that 1 or 2 point increase, common date n low dollar coins were almost never being submitted except for coins needing to be certified as genuine...it wasnt until later when all this "marketing" of common date modern coins became the norm that u saw the certification volume swell...the price swings tween a 20 n 25 or a 40 n a 45 coin started occurring later...i remember hearing all the loud bangs of certified coins being slammed on the concrete floors n being submitted immediately for regrading...it sounded like the shootout at the o.k. corral....

On 10/13/2022 at 4:10 PM, Tigerbait said:

Here we grow again.  Always changing and hopefully, improving processes.  How it will affect outcomes is anyones guess at this point.

...i suspect that the movers n shakers have already modeled this n have a good idea of exactly where its headed, this was not an impulse decision....

On 10/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, RWB said:

Without consistency between "grades" it is nothing more than the same old krapski as before TPGs were anointed to being stability.

...empirically speaking...limited capacity consistently begets limited insight...same old krapski without any anointment....

On 10/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, zadok said:

...n that isnt a bad thing, .... it sounded like the shootout at the o.k. corral....

Q.A.: ... if i may direct your kind attention, "empirically speaking," to your opening and closing lines ...  when ever has a shootout not been a bad thing?  

🐓:  ... i don't know from shootouts, but how about a shout-out to the OP? ...

Q.A.: ... 'ey, if it ain' "chopper one!" ... how's it goin'? ... long time, no see!  (thumbsu

On 10/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, ronnie stein said:

What did he say that made you think that (about higher end coins’)? I didn’t pick up on such a hint.

I would guess he's not looking to do re-grades of existing TPGs for small $$$....probably doesn't want to do bulk modern submissions, either.

Like you said, concentrating on the high-end kind of makes sense, at least starting out.

Does anybody know what fee is paid for a coin costing $100,000 from the TPGs (approx) ?  What about CAC ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 10/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, zadok said:

...n that isnt a bad thing, originally only higher dollar items were the only coins being submitted...the rationale was to "standardize" the wide gaps between the higher dollar coins caused by price swings between 1 or 2 points on the grading scale...i distinctly remember being at the long beach show in 1985 n witnessing the submission n re-submission of early gold n yes morgan dollars in attempts to get that 1 or 2 point increase, common date n low dollar coins were almost never being submitted except for coins needing to be certified as genuine...it wasnt until later when all this "marketing" of common date modern coins became the norm that u saw the certification volume swell...the price swings tween a 20 n 25 or a 40 n a 45 coin started occurring later...i remember hearing all the loud bangs of certified coins being slammed on the concrete floors n being submitted immediately for regrading...it sounded like the shootout at the o.k. corral....

That’s still going on. One end of the slab goes on the concrete floor. The other end goes on the rail that runs along the floor on those Z-rail trade show chairs, and BLAM! slab opening by clodhoppers. Probably tiny plastic shards embedding in legs and tablecloths, too.  

On 10/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I would guess he's not looking to do re-grades of existing TPGs for small $$$....probably doesn't want to do bulk modern submissions, either.

Like you said, concentrating on the high-end kind of makes sense, at least starting out.

Does anybody know what fee is paid for a coin costing $100,000 from the TPGs (approx) ?  What about CAC ?

Wait. You mean you DON’T have first-hand experience with that?

On 10/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, VKurtB said:

That’s still going on. One end of the slab goes on the concrete floor. The other end goes on the rail that runs along the floor on those Z-rail trade show chairs, and BLAM! slab opening by clodhoppers. Probably tiny plastic shards embedding in legs and tablecloths, too.  

...see still a market for boots, shinguards n chaps....

On 10/13/2022 at 11:30 PM, zadok said:

...see still a market for boots, shinguards n chaps....

...me thinketh your age is showing, bloke!...  :roflmao:

Q.A.:  Anybody remember when a crack, was just a crack? Now we've got crack-outs, crackheads, die cracks, not to mention one member's continuing fascination with "proof" die cracks.

🐓:  What do they call collectors who crack coins out of slabs?

Q.A.:  I don't know that there is a formal name, but do yourself and me a favor and don't call them crackers.  Sheesh!  :makepoint:

On 10/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, MarkFeld said:

What did he say that made you think that (about higher end coins’)? I didn’t pick up on such a hint.

After reading again, you're right. I was referring to the last paragraph.

I suspect that the people that would pay for a sticker are different from the people who slab coins. 

CAC is going to need to give submitters a reason to send to them instead of PCGS/NGC. The only reason would be more profit. Yet it seems like an extremely uphill battle for a CAC slab to trade at a higher price than the well established PCGS/NGC. 

I've never understood the hype about CAC.  I have a few coins in holders with green "CAC" stickers and don't find any of them to be particularly "choice for the grade" or undergraded. One is an 1883 "No Cents" Liberty nickel graded PR64 CAM by PCGS the frost of whose devices is so light as to make its "cameo" status arguable.  I also have a 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar in a PCGS "rattler" holder (the original holder used c.1986-89) graded PR64 with a gold CAC sticker.  It is nice and could grade "65" today, but that isn't unusual for certified coins of that vintage.  I bought each of these coins for what I thought was a reasonable price as I evaluated them, always below retail list at the designated grade.  The CAC stickers weren't involved in my calculation of their value.  Nor is the grading service grade when I consider a coin to be overgraded.

I have long been disheartened about the willingness of many collectors to base purchasing decisions largely or entirely on the name and number on a little paper tag or the presence or absence of a sticker.  Why isn't it better to gain knowledge about the coins one wishes to collect and to base purchasing decisions on that knowledge and on one's own personal judgment and taste?

On 10/14/2022 at 4:46 PM, Sandon said:

....Why isn't it better to gain knowledge about the coins one wishes to collect and to base purchasing decisions on that knowledge and on one's own personal judgment and taste? 

🐓:  Cat got your tongue?

Q.A.: Not exactly. More like z.  He is a proponent of CAC and, frankly, I find it difficult to speak for attribution with his eyes boring right through me. :roflmao:

Contrary to popular opinion, John Albanese is NOT immortal, and he’s showing signs of age. CAC had to end eventually, because everybody dies. His biggest challenge is building a staff that he can stand and who can stand him. Let’s call them “worshippers”. It’s as accurate as any other term. Having both incumbents owned by private equity was bound to become an issue for somebody with deep pockets. 

On 10/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, gmarguli said:

I suspect that the people that would pay for a sticker are different from the people who slab coins. 

CAC is going to need to give submitters a reason to send to them instead of PCGS/NGC. The only reason would be more profit. Yet it seems like an extremely uphill battle for a CAC slab to trade at a higher price than the well established PCGS/NGC. 

...im betting it wont take as long as u mite imagine for the cac cert coins to outpace the others...but the proof will be in the pudding....