• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Sure if I should enter some coins in a registry
1 1

15 posts in this topic

You can use the registry in several different ways. You can go the competitive route or you can just simply use it as a way to catalog your coins and anything in between. You could start a type set with the 2 coins you have there. There are several other sets that those coins could be used in as well. Both nice pieces. Go ahead and give it a try and see what you think. 

On 8/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Both excellent examples Walter. Why wouldn’t you want them in the registry?

Im still trying to figure out the pros and cons of starting a registry. This is all new to me. 

You don't have to start a registry with competiveness in mind. My sets could never compete with most other sets. I created my sets just for a basic inventory. You name your own sets, add pictures of the coins and add any info you want for the coin in any series that you create. Just think of it as a record keeping section for your coins. You don't have to compete with anyone. If ya wanna show them off, the registry also supplies a link to your sets that you can even add to your sig line here on the forums. It's really a nice tool that NGC provides for free. 

On 8/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Im still trying to figure out the pros and cons of starting a registry. This is all new to me. 

Pros: keeps track of you coins in an easy to use and view method 

Raises your interest seeing other sets in the registry and motivating you to add coins to increase your position

Allows you to tell your story

Coms: puts your coins out on the internet - some people like their privacy (even if you keep the set private)

It is a great way with pictures to keep track of your coins without having to go look for them. You can add comments about the coin. See the average price ,gains and drops. It's just a fun thing to have. 

I do like the Oregon Trail 1939-D for a Registry coin. MS66 is nothing to sneeze at. So many 1926 out there. I do like the 1933-D best of all. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, VKurtB said:

I do like the Oregon Trail 1939-D for a Registry coin. MS66 is nothing to sneeze at. So many 1926 out there. I do like the 1933-D best of all. 

I have looked at the 1933-D. MS66 has a slightly higher value than  the 1939-D. This surprised me as the ‘33 has a higher mintage. 

On 8/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I have been reading many post about member coins placed in a registry which seems highly competitive. I have 2 coins: 1939-D MS66 Oregon Trail 50¢ and an 1894-S MS62 Barber 50¢. Would either of these be eligible to start a registry or are they a non starter? Thanks

Just a quick observation, don't people usually block out the cert numbers when posting on forums or in the registry sets to keep what they actually own to themselves?  You have to enter a cert # when entering a coin in the registry, but that may not be public.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, EagleRJO said:

Just a quick observation, don't people usually block out the cert numbers when posting on forums or in the registry sets to keep what they actually own to themselves?  You have to enter a cert # when entering a coin in the registry, but that may not be public.

That was something I started doing to help keep the counterfeiters guessing. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:39 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I have looked at the 1933-D. MS66 has a slightly higher value than  the 1939-D. This surprised me as the ‘33 has a higher mintage. 

The 1933-D Oregon Trail, along with the Lincoln cents and some (in?)famous gold, is the entire 1933 date set. That probably accounts for the extra demand.