• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Suggestion
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just want to give a shout-out to J P Mashoke for some good advice given some time ago.  My question was 'where to find good coins without the premium price'.  Suggested was to check out auctions and antique stores.  I've had a fair experience at the auction places - but I don't have the money to play with the 'big boys' and drop $1000+ per week.

Driving by an old antique store in Maryland, I dropped in to try my luck.  He had several cases of coins, so I knew this guy was no novice. After we made friends, I picked out a few things that made me smile.  I picked up a Mercury Dime, some Buffalo Nickels, and a 1964-D Kennedy all in great shape and great price.  We talked a few more minutes and tempted me more with an 1898-O Morgan in amazing condition, an 1892-O Liberty Quarter (I'm seriously considering sending to NGC), and an 1835 1/2 Cent. I bought them all and am totally thrilled.  (I'm also broke until the next month paycheck!))

I love the historic coins but wanted to Show and Tell the 1835 Half Cent piece.  It may be a common 1/2 Cent date, but I'm really jazzed because I didn't have one to show the G-kids.  I also noticed that the reverse is askew and gives the coin a little more character.

So, thank you to all the guys who offer good advice and suggestions.

image.jpeg.1d5fd24caf2e57a99d73241fad4ca442.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.745e1581073d7f6ec1f5fa0f41e80b05.jpeg

God Bless,

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It sounds like you're having fun, which is what the hobby should emphasize.

There are two die marriages of 1835 half cents, and they're of roughly equal rarity. Your coin is Cohen-1, which is distinguished from Cohen-2 by the distance between letters ST of STATES. You can see examples of both here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-cents/classic-head-half-cents-1809-1836/811424/

Thank you for the info DW.  I haven't had a chance to look into the history yet.  

It's even more fun when the G-Kids bug Mom or Dad to give them a lift to GrandPa's house to search their Great (and Great-Great) Grandfathers pounds of coins.  But when they find a wheat penny, or a Mercury Dime their eyes POP!  That's the best fun.  We "hit the lottery" last week when we found a 1937 three-legged Buffalo.  The nickel was really flat - 'Good" condition at best - but a "nugget" is a "nugget" no matter how it looks.

God Bless,

Chris

On 8/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Thank you for the info DW.  I haven't had a chance to look into the history yet.  

It's even more fun when the G-Kids bug Mom or Dad to give them a lift to GrandPa's house to search their Great (and Great-Great) Grandfathers pounds of coins.  But when they find a wheat penny, or a Mercury Dime their eyes POP!  That's the best fun.  We "hit the lottery" last week when we found a 1937 three-legged Buffalo.  The nickel was really flat - 'Good" condition at best - but a "nugget" is a "nugget" no matter how it looks.

God Bless,

Chris

Great hunting Chris, Sometimes you just get lucky. I am glad you are having a good time. I also like to spend time with the grandkids and I give them stuff like Kennedy's, Sacagawea's and Presidential dollars that I have found in change through the years. It's great fun all around.   

Hi Frank,

By your request:

1892-O Barber.  It's always amazing the little flaws you find when you photo the coins.  But I'm probably still going to send it in.  I think it will still rate pretty good.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc89a58822b978058325cdcf4ad69d0f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ede21e05839ac6bc371f224e33249718.jpeg

...And that my become my new policy to photo the coins to see what NGC will see before I send in a coin only to be disappointed.

God Bless,

Chris

On 7/31/2022 at 9:59 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

I love the historic coins but wanted to Show and Tell the 1835 Half Cent piece.  It may be a common 1/2 Cent date, but I'm really jazzed because I didn't have one to show the G-kids.  I also noticed that the reverse is askew and gives the coin a little more character.

I love that you added a half cent to your collection.  Half Cents are kinda my jam - tons of character in that series!

FYI - a "common" half cent is usually more scarce than "semi-key" (and sometimes key) dates in other series.(thumbsu