1878-CC Morgan Dollar
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have been looking for an AU 1878-CC Morgan for a bit at around $450 +/- and came across this NGC slabbed one graded AU-58 for $425, which seems like a good price, although it seems like it may be a bit scuffed up for an AU-58.  Greysheet lists a value of $442 and Redbook would be a little more than that (the higher end of between $300 for AU-50 to $475 for MS-60).  I might offer $400 and see what they say.  What do you guys think?

1878-CC Morgan Dollar AU-58 MGC - <a href='https://www.ebay.com/' class='notreplace' title='' target='_blank'  style=ebay Pics $425.jpg">

Edited by EagleRJO
typo & values

EBAY pics can be very deceiving  you can hide a ton of scratches and uglyness just by the way you turn the coin and the way the light his it....  bst to make sure they have a return policy

I would not call that "AU 58" -- I don't care what the label claims. (The 1921 appears to be AU-58. This coin should be almost identical.)

On 7/13/2022 at 2:34 PM, RWB said:

I would not call that "AU 58" -- I don't care what the label claims. (The 1921 appears to be AU-58. This coin should be almost identical.)

I agree, and why I mentioned the scuff marks I see.  Maybe $350 if it's actually a lower AU?

While I agree that the first illustrated coin should be graded lower on the "AU" scale than "58"--a "58" should appear uncirculated upon initial examination--I would not purchase any Morgan or Peace dollar at current prices.  Your $450 would have purchased an 1878-CC dollar graded MS 63 or so late in 2019 per the November/December 2019 PCGS Rare Coin Market Report, and while prices may not go back to these levels, they seem currently quite inflated for these common coins.  I have observed these "spikes" before in the early 1980s and 1990s, and those who bought at the peak were left disappointed for some years thereafter.  (My uncertified AU 50 or better specimen cost me all of $40, but that was back in 1992.)

These coins can be found as much better looking examples but it takes a bit of shopping.

I would consider that coin as more of an AU55 or 53, pricewise that is mostly in line with the current retail market for an AU58.    I would want an AU58 to have less field disturbance than this coin and would keep looking myself, but that is just my personal choice.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, jimbo27 said:

this is from ebay for $462, maybe a little nicer, the pcgs ones are even more.

s-l1600 (23).jpg

s-l1600 (24).jpg

Yea, that one's more $ for the same TPG AU-58 label, but I agree a little nicer.

If the guy doesn't want to come down to $350 to $375 I'm gonna pass and keep looking. There is no rush, and I could always spend a little less and go with a raw one as it's not that expensive imo.

Edited by EagleRJO

Posted (edited)

Maybe like around $300 to $350 for a raw one that may be a little better looking.

Edited by EagleRJO