• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Large Date Defective Die
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Boy that is a beaute for sure. However it has me confused now. 

I see a lot of CUD's on Sheild's because a FB friend is just ga-ga over them, and I was under the impression that by the time a CUD has developed to this size there are signs of it elsewhere on the Coin as well. Whether the Break is visible or a major depression somewhere else on the Coin. I guess that's not correct since I don't see anything abnormal on your Coin except for the CUD itself. Dang-it. Time for more study for me I suppose. And here I thought I already knew it all. Lmbo! Great Coin. I've never found one myself. Shucks! 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Boy that is a beaute for sure. However it has me confused now. 

I see a lot of CUD's on Sheild's because a FB friend is just ga-ga over them, and I was under the impression that by the time a CUD has developed to this size there are signs of it elsewhere on the Coin as well. Whether the Break is visible or a major depression somewhere else on the Coin. I guess that's not correct since I don't see anything abnormal on your Coin except for the CUD itself. Dang-it. Time for more study for me I suppose. And here I thought I already knew it all. Lmbo! Great Coin. I've never found one myself. Shucks! 

May be the difference between it being from and on a Copper as opposed to a Zinc Cent? Yours is Copper, right? 

On 6/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

...I was under the impression that by the time a CUD has developed to this size there are signs of it elsewhere on the Coin as well. Whether the Break is visible or a major depression somewhere else on the Coin. I guess that's not correct since I don't see anything abnormal on your Coin except for the CUD itself....

On 6/25/2022 at 7:42 PM, bsshog40 said:

It actually looks like the cud interferred with the lettering on Cent on the reverse. Nice cud!

Bobby is right. The first place I looked to see if it really was a cud was on the lower reverse, opposite the cud. And, there it was: a weak "CENT.".

OP, please don't give this coin some cutsie name, like "LOAF OF BREAD ON LINCOLN'S HEAD, " or "CLUB-HEAD CENT."

On 6/25/2022 at 11:48 PM, Just Bob said:

Bobby is right. The first place I looked to see if it really was a cud was on the lower reverse, opposite the cud. And, there it was: a weak "CENT.".

OP, please don't give this coin some cutsie name, like "LOAF OF BREAD ON LINCOLN'S HEAD, " or "CLUB-HEAD CENT."

Oops! I thought that was just some of the black smudge that gets onto them. My bad. Shew! Glad I don't have to be all cornfused again.