• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Pennies

12 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2022 at 4:08 AM, Thomas Beers said:

Why do coins cost so much to get graded though ? it’s crazy

You are paying for a service, the time of professional numismatists to evaluate your coin and holder it.  Most coins just aren't worth that expense.  Actually the 1918 S is the most valuable of the three, but still not enough to justify professional grading.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:08 AM, Thomas Beers said:

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it makes some people think twice about getting a coin graded and saves them money that they would have otherwise spent on coins undeserving of grading in the first place. Dealers sending in bulk submissions get a deal on the grading fees and is often why you see coins like the ones jimbo27 posted for less than what it would cost you or me to have graded. To answer your other questions, No I would not have any of these graded, and Yes I would absolutely hold on to them. (thumbsu

On 6/23/2022 at 6:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it makes some people think twice about getting a coin graded and saves them money that they would have otherwise spent on coins undeserving of grading in the first place. Dealers sending in bulk submissions get a deal on the grading fees and is often why you see coins like the ones jimbo27 posted for less than what it would cost you or me to have graded. To answer your other questions, No I would not have any of these graded, and Yes I would absolutely hold on to them. (thumbsu

So this wouldn’t be considered ms?

F1F167E0-8458-456B-803B-2567AB5A7FBA.jpeg

C5E7B306-8E17-4384-AEE9-F8DF1ED58D80.jpeg

On 6/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, Thomas Beers said:

So this wouldn’t be considered ms?

The '57-D maybe, the '68-S looks like a no. At any rate, just because a coin would grade MS does not mean it's worth sending in for grading. For example the two graded coins posted in this thread, that are for sale on ebay, are MS66 RD and can be bought for under $30 and $35 respectively. How high would one these need to grade to be worth the cost of submission, looks like MS 67 RD or higher. Would either of your coins grade MS67 RD or higher? It's an easy no for me. 

These are two nice coins, I would stick them in a Whitman folder or keep them in a flip and hold onto them. Nothing wrong with that. 

These three coins are very nice collectable coins, just not suitable for sending in for slabbing.   These are perfect for use raw in an album or coin folder, every coin has its place in the collecting world, few are worth slabbing.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:08 AM, Thomas Beers said:

There are other options to the expensive service fees at NGC or PCGS, ANACS has a much less expensive option that collectors can use to have coins graded and slabbed.   Here is a screen shot of pricing at ANACS, you could also use ICG as I hear their fees are lower also.   Keep in mind that you would have to add in the shipping and any handling costs to the grading fees shown in the photo below

image.thumb.png.8e3187a60e26dc5a789c994d052f93c4.png

I cannot stress enough that while these options are less expensive I am in in no way suggesting that you should send these three coins to be graded and slabbed, it will be a waste of your money.   As I said these are coins that should be left as they are and used for a purpose that is fitting for the coins, raw in albums or folders.