• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Up With Crypto?
3 3

316 posts in this topic

Here's my take on crypto, something I know next to nothing about...

Massive carpet bombing  campaigns to stimulate speculator/investor interest... followed by a surge in prices.

Precision well-coordinated sell-offs for profit-taking... followed by surgical-strike "buy, Buy, BUY!!!" - Believe the hype campaigns to re-ignite public interest, etc., through the wash, rinse, spin cycles... and repeat.

Fair enough. Where do you stand on crypto, and why?  Pro, con or indifferent. All comments welcome.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, zadok said:

...if clark kent knows nuf to stay away from krypto thats good nuf for me....

You honor me with your presence! I appreciate your counsel. (worship)

First, I think a thread on crypto and BitCoin is relevant to gold so I hope the mods have no problem with it. (thumbsu

Second....I have no idea if BitCoin is going to $500,000 or $5,000...or even zero.  Ditto the rest of the cryptos for whom a shakeout is coming.  Most are headed to zero.  I suspect that BitCoin, Ether, and a few others will gain big market share, whatever that is.

I also dislike the cryptos in the aggregate because they have clearly sucked out $$$ from gold.  :mad:

I much prefer literally holding gold or silver coins -- including classic Saints -- rather than owning some digital whatever.

@GoldFinger1969:

I believe at post-time, these cryptos were dropping sharply, that's why I began the thread... I was curious to see if there was somebody out there who had no problem with something evidently not for the faint-hearted--and could drop a jewel as to why. (Like you, I like mine in hand to appreciate the luster, brilliance, size, heft, etc.)

On 6/16/2022 at 12:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GoldFinger1969:

I believe at post-time, these cryptos were dropping sharply, that's why I began the thread... I was curious to see if there was somebody out there who had no problem with something evidently not for the faint-hearted--and could drop a jewel as to why. (Like you, I like mine in hand to appreciate the luster, brilliance, size, heft, etc.)

It will be very interesting to see how the EU, crypto, the stock market, etc....all hold up when the Fed is RAISING rates and the days of EASY MONEY (good movie with Rodney Dangerfield, BTWxD ) are over.

It's easy for to move up in price when the Fed is printing money.  Let's see how they do when rates are rising and you can get 3% in a money market fund without ANY risk.  

As an aside....it'll be interesting to see how gold/silver hold up, too.

Not sure how many of you follow the bond market (I manage bond portfolios) but rates have been rising bigtime in the last week and the bond market is having the worst year on record, even including the 1970's. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, gmarguli said:

They're all going to zero. It's the "uber smart" millennials that think this time it's different, that are pouring their money into this garbage.  Personally, I can't wait for all of them to crash to $0 so I can laugh at all the moronic fools that bought this utter garbage. 

Some are definitely headed there.  To me, they are NOT "currencies" -- they are quasi-tech digital plays.  I don't get this whole "meta" thing and the need for cryptos to buy things in an imaginary universe.

I'll wait for Holodecks like on Deep Space 9. xD

Interestingly, gold turned around from mid-day losses and rallied bigtime up $40 even as everything else tanked.  As bonds rallied (yields fell), gold turned up.

Let's see if it's a pattern.  If crypto is dead with a Fed Funds rate of 3-4% and a 10-year approaching or above 4%, gold may have legs for a move to $2,200.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/16/2022 at 8:16 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Crytpo "currencies" are not currencies at the present time.  They are highly-volatile, speculative, digital assets. 

No, it isn't.  Anything which radically fluctuates in value like that will never attain any meaningful scale as a form of payment. 

Commercially, there isn't enough motivation to accept it if for no other reason due to hedging costs and operating constraints.  From this standpoint, what I just described is no different than a foreign currency.  Companies use derivatives and their operating structure to hedge FX but it's not free and until crypto achieves sufficient scale, have no offsetting expenses to hedge their revenue.  

Once the mania ends, it won't be used for a store of value either.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:02 PM, zadok said:

...counsel??...i thought this was the repartee forum....

It is but you are greater than.  I abide by your counsel.  (worship)

How much does the crypto crash affect the collectibles market place? I'm going to type cast a bit and say that it will have the biggest impact on NFT's and little to none on coins. 

On 6/16/2022 at 12:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I also dislike the cryptos in the aggregate because they have clearly sucked out $$$ from gold.  :mad:

Sure seems like it, and now that money is gone. Poof! I don't know that gold rallies as crypto drops. Gold was right around the same price as it is today when BC hit its peak back in Nov, it did make a run at 2,000 in March when BC dropped 30% and was fluttering around 40k, but no real move since early May, other than slightly down, when BC jumped off the cliff again. For purely selfish coin related reasons, I wouldn't mind seeing gold pull back. :whistle: I have a feeling it will. Maybe. (shrug)

BTW, best Dangerfield movie, Back To School. lol

On 6/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

How much does the crypto crash affect the collectibles market place? I'm going to type cast a bit and say that it will have the biggest impact on NFT's and little to none on coins. 

NFT is even more ridiculous than crypto.  It's another bag of hot air destined to completely collapse.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Sure seems like it, and now that money is gone. Poof! I don't know that gold rallies as crypto drops. Gold was right around the same price as it is today when BC hit its peak back in Nov, it did make a run at 2,000 in March when BC dropped 30% and was fluttering around 40k, but no real move since early May, other than slightly down, when BC jumped off the cliff again. For purely selfish coin related reasons, I wouldn't mind seeing gold pull back. :whistle: I have a feeling it will. Maybe. (shrug)

BTW, best Dangerfield movie, Back To School. lol

Have no evidence of it, but don't believe that crypto (including BTC) is bought as an alternative to gold.  Not at any scale anyway.  It's rationalized as a store of value but it's just another form of speculation based upon nothing.

Despite close to a 70% collapse, BTC is only back near (slightly above) the 2018 peak when it first hit $20K.  It still has a long way down to go, though like any other market of any size, there will be counterrallies.

[I keep hoping someone will drop in and say, "Q.A., they --  meaning all the other members -- have got it all wrong. They embellish! They embroider!  They EXAGGERATE!  Volatility? Where? Lack of consumer confidence? How so?"

Okay, so who's buying up all this stuff? Where's that magical Racing Form they've been consulting for top-tier investor advice?  I'll wait...]

On 6/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, zadok said:

...rumor has it that bags of hot air mite sell in the low to mid 5 figures if they can find enuf dupes....

image.thumb.png.705de618ce3a26d2118287ea8bea615e.png1

I believe the listing was eventually pulled, and am now wondering how you knew what the going rate for hot air was. :whistle:

lol

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

[FWIW:  "The Coin That Could Wreck Crypto," The New York Times, June 17, 2022, (which unbeknownst to me had a very comprehensive summary on a "stablecoin" called Tether, with a handful of references to recent related articles)].