• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Coin Grading At Orlando Fun Coin Show
2 2

73 posts in this topic

@VKurtB described the intricate beauty and utility of this product in considerable detail. I am against its wanton destruction and particularly so when it serves a selfish end.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB described the intricate beauty and utility of this product in considerable detail. I am against its wanton destruction and particularly so when it serves a selfish end.

It’s 21st century numismatics. Pretty much all that exists is “selfish end”.

On 5/28/2022 at 12:22 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

So complicated that they can be routinely  cracked open.

They can be cracked open, but NOT routinely. The act of cracking them open usually involves pretty thorough destruction.  

On 5/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Grader and TPG staff do provide pro bono work.  Mr Lange posts regularly on this site.  @Insider is active on some of the forums.  I've seen posts from the NGC ancient coin authenticators on the ancient forums. Fred Weinberg, recently retired error dealer and PCGS consultant offers great advice on various forums.  And they don't charge for it

Retirement does that to people. 

Philately, deltiology with numismatics on deck. Just an observation, not an opinion. The symptoms are there, a diagnosis was made, no known cure.

On 5/28/2022 at 12:22 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Philately, deltiology with numismatics on deck. Just an observation, not an opinion. The symptoms are there, a diagnosis was made, no known cure.

Sadly, many so-called professional numismatists will not buy ANY slabbed coin unless they believe they can crack it out and get a better grade than the current one. Case in point - my good friend from Millersville, PA. Had probably THE beat matte proof  Buffalo Nickel collection going, EXCEPT for one piece, which was stunning but had a disappointing grade. So his dealer talked him into cracking it out and resubmitting it to PCGS. It came back two points higher and turned a $20,000 coin into a $90,000 coin. Who would NOT do that?

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB

I would not. It's anti-scriptural.* I would accept the fate accorded that coin, and me.  (Your pulling our legs, right? Strictly anecdotal?)

* Something to do with tampering with, removing, or otherwise disturbing landmarks.

On 5/28/2022 at 1:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB

I would not. It's anti-scriptural.* I would accept the fate accorded that coin, and me.  (Your pulling our legs, right? Strictly anecdotal?)

* Something to do with tampering with, removing, or otherwise disturbing landmarks.

I feel you are ascribing a level of religious respect to a tiny label that borders on idolatry. Not at all dissimilar to the way some people treat Mr. Albanese’s flattened legumes. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, VKurtB said:

I feel you are ascribing a level of religious respect to a tiny label that borders on idolatry. Not at all dissimilar to the way some people treat Mr. Albanese’s flattened legumes. 

[As always, I am open to constructive criticism.]

On 5/28/2022 at 11:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

@Insider is active on some of the forums.

@Insider is constantly active on Coin Talk.  And his posts are very numismatic educational and have helped a lot of YNs.

[At a member's suggestion, I checked out CT. I did not like it. All they do is talk about coins. The secret of my success over there, not that it's going to make those who were forced to migrate therefrom feel any better, is simple. I Iurked, looked, and listened. And, this is key: I never spoke up. I like it here better where I am welcomed with open arms.]  🐓 

On 5/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[At a member's suggestion, I checked out CT. I did not like it. All they do is talk about coins. The secret of my success over there, not that it's going to make those who were forced to migrate therefrom feel any better, is simple. I Iurked, looked, and listened. And, this is key: I never spoke up. I like it here better where I am welcomed with open arms.]  🐓 

...take a deep breath but dont inhale...

To the OP, your friend and mine,  @Errorists:

If what I overheard a sales clerk telling a customer earlier today is true, the flimsy piece of paper spat out by a machine at a local pharmacy, much like an old ticker tape, at a cost of two measly dollars, may be worth at least $700 million, by 11 p.m. tomorrow, 24 hours hence EST.  New York Powerball.  Six numbers.  

Now before you start comparing me to Andrew Jackson "Jack" Whittaker who won the PB jackpot half that size 20 years ago (and has since passed at age 72, two years ago in West Virginia) after a tempestuous past, let me assure you, while arguably poor, I have no financial plans simply because I do not need any more money than is necessary to support my wife and myself at the subsistence level which (if enquiring minds must know) presently rests at 1/3 the median income of my neighborhood: El Barrio. Interestingly, 75% of all East Harlemites never married (53.26%) or are separated (23.20%).  The median age is 37, and females dominate males,  55% to 45%.  But I digress...

In terms of coins, there is nothing I want. (I am rumored to be divesting what little I have.)  But there are members, and not a few lurkers loitering about who can use an assist. I know who they are. I have written nothing down. It's all committed to memory. It doesn't even matter if I win; I just want the membership to know where my heart lies.  My biggest, yet unrealized dream has always been becoming a philanthropist. I deeply appreciate the contributions members have made sharing their knowledge, wisdom, scholarly pursuits and acquisitions.  Giving can be just as problematic as receiving.  I understand.  I will work with you. Lots of organizations make appeals for funds. There are several such funds I should like to see established. Also contributing, sustaining and lifetime memberships. I have some ideas. I would like to address the problems of costly errors as they come to our attention on the Forum. In any event, that's the direction of my thoughts. At the appropriate time I would be happy to entertain requests from people in the field.  There are members who've suffered natural disasters and setbacks.  I would like to address them in a meaningful way. Anyhow, that's what's been on my mind. I may be a simple person and may get a spinning wheel like Gandhi to make plain clothes, but if I can help level the ground for the average coin collector, and it is within my means to do so, I will.  I've got a lot to learn. Reviving threads is an entertaining pursuit but reviving a hobby will involve mass coordination to achieve a lasting effect for years to come.  I am partial to NGC. We've reached an accommodation and an understanding. I will be content to make things happen not just for the heavyweights but the little guys content with completing a series in an album. It will run the whole gamut.  And what better way to demonstrate appreciation, than to give back.  Sooner or later, my dream [and possibly yours] will come true.  Rest assured I have forgotten nobody.  Least of all my army of ignorers!  :roflmao: