NGC Coin Grading At Orlando Fun Coin Show
3 3

72 posts in this topic

Check NGC's website -- the authoritative source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 10:54 AM, RWB said:

Check NGC's website -- the authoritative source.

This is their website.

Edited by Errorists
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, Errorists said:

This is there website.

“Their website”. I’m sure he meant the section which lists grading tiers and fees, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 11:03 AM, MarkFeld said:

“Their website”. I’m sure he meant the section which lists grading tiers and fees, etc.

Yes what are they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, Errorists said:

Yes what are they?

If you have to ask…

Seriously, download the form. It’s complicated. First, there’s a fixed cost per form. There’s return shipping. Then there are numerous tiers of grading services. Do all of us a favor please. Read up on it BEFORE you get to NGC’s table. Don’t clog up a seat forever having your hand held. Go in prepared. 

Edited by VKurtB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, Errorists said:

This is their website.

No...this is a set of message boards for collector communication which is hosted by NGC. Go back to the home page and start exploring the NGC content and official company information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 3:27 PM, RWB said:

No...this is a set of message boards for collector communication which is hosted by NGC. Go back to the home page and start exploring the NGC content and official company information.

Nah I'll do it here TYVM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 4:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Are we allowed to use that pronoun? 

Can't figure out what it is.  Sure sounds like Elenora  6/15/2021 or maybe the great 'Errorist' Elaqnore8   6/15/2021

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 7:41 AM, Errorists said:

19 bucks for moderns. How much for moderns at the coin show??

The same, as long as you let them ship them back to you. I don’t know if NGC even does show walkthroughs at a 3-day show, but if they do, it’s expensive. July FUN is a 3-day. January FUN is 4 days. August ANA is 5 days, 6 if you count Dealer Day. To me, 4 days is the sweet spot. 

Edited by VKurtB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Only for minor errors with catchy, over-hyped names.

For all coins don't discriminate..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 4:51 PM, Errorists said:

Should be cheaper at all shows.

Well it’s not. It’s more expensive. MUCH more expensive. If they offer show drop off and pick up, you’ll be at nearly $100 per coin, all in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 12:47 AM, VKurtB said:

Well it’s not. It’s more expensive. MUCH more expensive. If they offer show drop off and pick up, you’ll be at nearly $100 per coin, all in. 

Should be 10 dollars per coin at shows.

Edited by Errorists
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 7:34 AM, Errorists said:

Should be 10 dollars per coin at shows.

@errorist

Why do you feel grading should be cheaper at shows?  Any logical thought behind this, or are you just wishing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Oldhoopster said:

@errorist

Why do you feel grading should be cheaper at shows?  Any logical thought behind this, or are you just wishing?

Coin shows should be a place where you can go view coins and buy some if you want and have fun. It is no longer fun when you have to pay more then the regular price for your coins being graded. In fact it would be fun if they had discounted prices for such coin shows. Because of these higher rates I will not be going this year to the fun show because it is no longer any fun..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 11:02 AM, Errorists said:

Coin shows should be a place where you can go view coins and buy some if you want and have fun. It is no longer fun when you have to pay more then the regular price for your coins being graded. In fact it would be fun if they had discounted prices for such coin shows. Because of these higher rates I will not be going this year to the fun show because it is no longer any fun..

So you're just wishing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 10:19 AM, Oldhoopster said:

So you're just wishing 

No I'd go to the show if the coins were 10 bucks a coin to be graded.. Coin shows should have special deals not price gouging.

Edited by Errorists
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, Errorists said:

No I'd go to the show if the coins were 10 bucks a coin to be graded.. Coin shows should have special deals not price gouging.

The slab itself -- without any grading -- is probably worth $10.  Some of these larger ones for 2 ounce and 5 ounce and 10 ounce coins can be pricey.

I've never submitted but I find, even where actual grading might be unnecessary (i.e., a modern proof gold coin) that it's convenient...makes it easy to handle....makes giving it as a gift or showing it to friends much easier than handing them a raw coin....etc.

Definitely worth the $$$ spent getting it graded and in a nice protective holder.  Some of the holders lay the coin out nicely and have nice labels, too.

Edited by GoldFinger1969
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The slab itself -- without any grading -- is probably worth $10.  Some of these larger ones for 2 ounce and 5 ounce and 10 ounce coins can be pricey.

I've never submitted but I find, even where actual grading might be unnecessary (i.e., a modern proof gold coin) that it's convenient...makes it easy to handle....makes giving it as a gift or showing it to friends much easier than handing them a raw coin....etc.

 

10 bucks for slabs should be less then a buck. Rip off.. Need new slab supplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 11:13 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Ok. That pretty much explains your thoughts.  Figured as much

Did you consider that the grading company has extra costs associated with the expenses of the graders at the show?  The logistics of moving and setting up their equipment?  Did you figure in the convenience for submitters that they don't have to worry about shipping issues (at least shipping to the grader).  The convenience of on site turnaround?  While it seems these conveniences are not worth the extra cost to you, they apparently are to others.

Don't forget, the TPGs are a business and need to justify costs.  It would be nice if there were discounts, but the real world doesn't always work that way.  But by all means, keep insisting they are price gouging at shows.  BTW: Nobody is stopping you from using the standard submission method

That's to expensive also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, Errorists said:

No I'd go to the show if the coins were 10 bucks a coin to be graded.. Coin shows should have special deals not price gouging.

Proper grading firms have NEVER done ANYTHING for 10 dollars. (Yes, I know about ANACS specials - they’re not a proper firm. They used to be, but not under current ownership,)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, VKurtB said:

Proper grading firms have NEVER done ANYTHING for 10 dollars. (Yes, I know about ANACS specials - they’re not a proper firm. They used to be, but not under current ownership,)

God forbid proper grading firms have specials at coin shows. Could they leave us with a few bucks for a hot dog 🌭 at least? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, VKurtB said:

Proper grading firms have NEVER done ANYTHING for 10 dollars. (Yes, I know about ANACS specials - they’re not a proper firm. They used to be, but not under current ownership,)

Not true - reholders used to be no more than that. That’s the problem when you use words like “NEVER” and “ANYTHING”.

Edited by MarkFeld
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3