• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883O Morgan

9 posts in this topic

IMG_20220509_155437147_HDR.thumb.jpg.d8be0e324c5a0b72c5162862c2e20282.jpgFound this in my aunt's coins that she had left for me. Is it something I should have graded? It's in much better shape than the ones I recently bought from a friend for a $100 bucks.

IMG_20220509_155426062_HDR.jpg

Edited by Newbie 1026
Didn't have the pictures attached

This one falls in the category of high sentimental value and marginal numismatic value. 1883-O is a very very common year Morgan dollar, and unless it is a very high grade example it would not warrant grading for financial reasons. With that said if you wanted it graded and slabbed as a keep sake that is perfectly fine. However, if you just want to keep it safe and well preserved there are many low cost options. Several DIY slabs, coin capsules, etc. that will protect the coin just as well for a fraction of the cost. I would suggest getting it out of that 2x2 before too long. 2x2s are fine, but the staples may eventually rust and that can get on the coin. I do not see any rust yet but that one appears to have some age on it. Also if you have several in 2x2s you will be storing do yourself a favor and flatten the staples. When they stick up like they are now and rub against another 2x2 you can scratch a coin very easily. I am ashamed to say I learned that one the hard way myslef early on.

Lightly circulated common date/mint. Follow Woods020 suggestions and enjoy the coin as a way to open pleasant memories about your aunt and family.

you know get it graded and preserve it as is decline the conservation and have incapsulated that way itllalways  be the same as when you got it im sure your aunt could appreciate that.... its a really beautiful coin if you ask me

On 5/10/2022 at 7:49 AM, Shawn11 said:

you know get it graded and preserve it as is decline the conservation and have incapsulated that way itllalways  be the same as when you got it im sure your aunt could appreciate that.... its a really beautiful coin if you ask me

Are you recommending the owner spend $35 on a coin worth $25? That's nutz. A simple Cointain or plastic 2x2 will be fine and offer just as much protection as a slab.

I was going to suggest an Airtite. They are clear, easy to snap closed, and will protect the piece well. Any coin dealer has them in all US coin sizes and they cost like a buck or two.