• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan 1884O/S mint mark

24 posts in this topic

2D71105C-7C04-43BD-8144-C07CF5E6003A.thumb.jpeg.04cde4d6959ba296640edb1eedbd1c03.jpeg2D71105C-7C04-43BD-8144-C07CF5E6003A.thumb.jpeg.04cde4d6959ba296640edb1eedbd1c03.jpeg2D71105C-7C04-43BD-8144-C07CF5E6003A.thumb.jpeg.04cde4d6959ba296640edb1eedbd1c03.jpeg2D71105C-7C04-43BD-8144-C07CF5E6003A.thumb.jpeg.04cde4d6959ba296640edb1eedbd1c03.jpeg.What I was really referring to was this O mm over an “S”. Original mm I an others  see  I meant was I think or believe I see the original mm under the edges of the O an it does appears to me as a possible S. Thesease photos were overlook the first time. Now I understand why others telling  mel me iIm seeing things that I want to see I know that maybe true at times but there six people on my end here see the same what appears as a”S” with the serifs showing an “O” mm over S but whether or not this happen or not. But there that possibility it did happen. This coin has live most of its time in bank lockbox 94 years but I want to apologize for me not stating what  I meant correctly 
regards

Nere H Ourso

74D018C8-5787-41EF-A8FC-D27DC50FD4E7.jpeg

4DA30F5B-683B-41AC-AFA1-7C2E70B363B4.jpeg

B6DDA9BF-1124-4575-A850-AD1C09CEB5FF.jpeg

E235E5E9-AB60-43E3-B8F4-3BF7EBB17066.jpeg

Coin buff is correct this is just an ordinary 84 - O.  what you are seeing is probably a strike from anopther coin hitting it in the eject bin or fro rubbing around on it in a bag.

NH I do notice what appears to be the serif top right and bottom left of the O mm. Agree it has either had a hit damaging the O. But see if you can take it to an ANA dealer to look at it under a scope. You can submit it for grading if you want to spend the money on a varietal o/s mm and see what a TPG might say. But I don’t think it would be worth the expense.

still a keeper though

53C25D30-D264-44C8-BE4E-646698886A41.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

It's a damaged 1884-O (round O). The number of photos posted doesn't change anything. Further, VAMworld's variety listing shows no O/S variety for this year.

Edited by RWB

On 5/3/2022 at 10:22 PM, N H Ourso said:

Dear coinbuff I’m not talking about the deformed O mm I believe I see a mm behind it an O on top of it 

I understand perfectly what you are saying, it is my opinion that you are wrong plain and simple.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/4/2022 at 9:25 PM, N H Ourso said:

Don’t quite understand your meaning

It's an oblique reference to member who refused to accept what experienced coin collectors were saying about his imaginary errors and counterfeit coins. Members tried to help, but he refused so people stopped paying attention to him. He attempted the same thing on other hobby message boards and got identical responses from members.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:33 PM, Woods020 said:

Is this what you are thinking is an S mint mark?

I think he's referring to the squiggle-shaped damage at center.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

NH I do notice what appears to be the serif top right and bottom left of the O mm. Agree it has either had a hit damaging the O. But see if you can take it to an ANA dealer to look at it under a scope. You can submit it for grading if you want to spend the money on a varietal o/s mm and see what a TPG might say. But I don’t think it would be worth the expense.

still a keeper though

53C25D30-D264-44C8-BE4E-646698886A41.jpeg

Thank you for info I will take it but wasn’t planning on selling it anyway I just know there is something there .Butt as they stated it’s damaged but like in Dirty Harry Magnum Force”I’d got to know” statement by black actor 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, N H Ourso said:

Thank you for info I will take it but wasn’t planning on selling it anyway I just know there is something there .Butt as they stated it’s damaged but like in Dirty Harry Magnum Force”I’d got to know” statement by black actor 

What members are saying is not a scripted fantasy, or "tabloid numismatics." Certainly submit the coin for authentication and grading. Be sure to specify the variety and pay the extra $18 (I think) fee. Members here will be interested in the results.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, RWB said:

It's an oblique reference to member who refused to accept what experienced coin collectors were saying about his imaginary errors and counterfeit coins. Members tried to help, but he refused so people stopped paying attention to him. He attempted the same thing on other hobby message boards and got identical responses from members.

Sir you are wrong on your assumption I’m sorry should you feel that way I’m only trying to learn an yes I’m very objective person  an I do accept their responses.So please don’t address me that way because I’m not. Thank you

On 5/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, RWB said:

What members are saying is not a scripted fantasy, or "tabloid numismatics." Certainly submit the coin for authentication and grading. Be sure to specify the variety and pay the extra $18 (I think) fee. Members here will be interested in the results.

Thank Ivan do that’ but inn going to accept advice of a member have it put under a scope to see what the anomaly I see is an return with my answer is to all

Best Regards

On 5/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, N H Ourso said:

Thank Ivan do that’ but inn going to accept advice of a member have it put under a scope to see what the anomaly I see is an return with my answer is to all

Best Regards

You do not have the knowledge or experience to draw any conclusions from what you think you see with or without a microscope. That knowledge is gained by listening, asking questions, and not by presuming you have answers, when you really have merely routine guesses.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:51 PM, N H Ourso said:

Sir you are wrong on your assumption I’m sorry should you feel that way I’m only trying to learn an yes I’m very objective person  an I do accept their responses.So please don’t address me that way because I’m not. Thank you

You asked what the other member's rat character meant. That's what I posted. There was no assumption of anything about you.

Edited by RWB

Morgan dollars have been studied and die marriages identified in minute detail. With the amount of scholarship that has been poured into this series over the last 50+ years, it's almost impossible that a major die variety was missed.  You may believe you see "something", but you really need to take an objective look at it.

Look at the following site and check all of the 1884-O and S mint reverses.  If " you'se gotsta know" this will tell you

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Home

Also, don't forget that you're getting responses from collectors and numismatic researchers with decades of experience.  These aren't people sitting at the end of the bar with questionable opinions, these are experienced numismatists.  You can bank on a consensus response.  Or you can keep arguing that you think you see something and alienate a knowledgeable group that could help you learn and grow in the hobby (one of whom has written numerous books on numismatics).  

Members here have a lot of honest, useful information, and offer it freely to new collectors. Those who post coins, ask for input, then offhandedly reject members' comments merely do themselves a disservice. Please remember that someone new to any specialty subject cannot have the knowledge that persons with years of experience have.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, Coinbuf said:

This photo was posted by another member not the op.

Well darn it was the only one I could kind of make out. 

These posts get more and more confusing. Now we have other people posting random pics in the mix.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Morgan dollars have been studied and die marriages identified in minute detail. With the amount of scholarship that has been poured into this series over the last 50+ years, it's almost impossible that a major die variety was missed.  You may believe you see "something", but you really need to take an objective look at it.

Look at the following site and check all of the 1884-O and S mint reverses.  If " you'se gotsta know" this will tell you

http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/Home

Also, don't forget that you're getting responses from collectors and numismatic researchers with decades of experience.  These aren't people sitting at the end of the bar with questionable opinions, these are experienced numismatists.  You can bank on a consensus response.  Or you can keep arguing that you think you see something and alienate a knowledgeable group that could help you learn and grow in the hobby (one of whom has written numerous books on numismatics).  

Thank you and l do resppect all the answers that you have gave me. I’m going to list 1901 no mm that I’ve been told but would prefer the answer from a member on this site