• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Mint Set

138 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, Ali E. said:

Hello.

Again, please follow these directions if you wish to request a score correction: https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/426754-how-do-i-request-an-ngc-score-correction/

Population is automatically considered in the NGC Registry scoring algorithm. It is one of many factors taken into consideration. Thank you.

Madam:

I see no logical reason why the '40-D in the grade of NGC MS67+ is so undervalued points-wise when compared to the '40 and '40-S in the same grade. 

Once again, I have taken up the chase as my next purchase will be a '40 Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+; this will net me an additional 1,790 registry points  and thus will bring my total to 24,803 points.

Just 3,255 points to go until I reclaim my rightful throne.....:grin:

On 10/11/2023 at 7:55 AM, Legionary1 said:

Once again, I have taken up the chase as my next purchase will be a '40 Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+; this will net me an additional 1,790 registry points  and thus will bring my total to 24,803 points.

Just 3,255 points to go until I reclaim my rightful throne.....:grin:

I was able to add a few upgrades myself and get my score back to where it was prior to the removal of the CAC points, you will need more than 3,255 points now. ;)

On 10/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

I was able to add a few upgrades myself and get my score back to where it was prior to the removal of the CAC points, you will need more than 3,255 points now. ;)

I see you bagged a '40-D Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+; congrats on that one

You also picked up a '40-D Washington in NGC MS67+

Well then,   Lay on MacDuff and damn'd be he who first cries 'Hold, Enough'

Edited by Legionary1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:50 AM, Legionary1 said:

I see you bagged a '40-D Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+; congrats on that one

You also picked up a '40-D Washington in NGC MS67+

Well then,   Lay on MacDuff and damn'd be he who first cries 'Hold, Enough'

Thank you, the 40-D became the low hanging fruit after you were able to get the points score revised, and while my previous 40-D Washington is very nice ti was always a bit dark for my liking.   This upgrade is a better fit from a visual standpoint to most of the other silver coins in the set, still need to find that just right 40-S Merc.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:08 AM, Coinbuf said:

Thank you, the 40-D became the low hanging fruit after you were able to get the points score revised, and while my previous 40-D Washington is very nice ti was always a bit dark for my liking.   This upgrade is a better fit from a visual standpoint to most of the other silver coins in the set, still need to find that just right 40-S Merc.

Once again, your kind words are gratefully received.

Let me guess, you're looking for a '40-S Merc in NGV MS68FB?

My next planned acquisitions will be the '40-D and '40-S Washingtons in NGC MS67+ and the '40-S Walker in NGC MS66+

Edited by Legionary1

On 10/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, Legionary1 said:

Once again, your kind words are gratefully received.

Let me guess, you're looking for a '40-S Merc in NGV MS68FB?

My next planned acquisitions will be the '40-D and '40-S Washingtons in NGC MS67+ and the '40-S Walker in NGC MS66+

A 68 would be nice, but the few I have seen listed on a few dealer websites over the past few years have been priced at around 4K, even the NGC graded ones.  :fear:That is a really steep price tag for me, I think a 67+ is likely all I'll ever be able to afford.   There is a PCGS 68 currently listed at $4,750 right now, great looking coin with some light tone, but way out of my budget at almost 5K.

On 10/19/2023 at 11:50 AM, Legionary1 said:

There are a '40-D and a '40-S in the grade of NGC MS68 up for bids over at Great Collections; they're probably going to go for stupid money......

I haven't seen any1940 Denver mint coins on GC in the MS68 range except for a nickel with a very expensive starting bid, there is one SF and a couple of Philly coins in that grade.   The SF dime is not a FB coin and will likely not sell all that high, zero chance of a FB and even at MS68 it scores just a few points higher than my current 67FB coin. so not really worth chasing.   The 40-S Lincoln up this week looks like a very nice coin, maybe not quite MS68, but very nice and should do well.   The 40-P that will be up in a few weeks is a dog, it looks like a mechanical error or a total whiff from the photos. 

On 10/19/2023 at 6:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

I haven't seen any1940 Denver mint coins on GC in the MS68 range except for a nickel with a very expensive starting bid, there is one SF and a couple of Philly coins in that grade.   The SF dime is not a FB coin and will likely not sell all that high, zero chance of a FB and even at MS68 it scores just a few points higher than my current 67FB coin. so not really worth chasing.   The 40-S Lincoln up this week looks like a very nice coin, maybe not quite MS68, but very nice and should do well.   The 40-P that will be up in a few weeks is a dog, it looks like a mechanical error or a total whiff from the photos. 

My mistake on that '40-D

I was referring to the '40-P; the picture does look rather off...

On 10/19/2023 at 10:40 PM, Legionary1 said:

My mistake on that '40-D

I was referring to the '40-P; the picture does look rather off...

Maybe just the photo, but it really looks terrible.   I'm watching the 40-S this week, would be nice but I expect it to go well out of my budget range as it seems to be a nice coin.   I may call Ian and see what he can tell me about that 40, maybe it is just a bad image. (shrug)

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well, I expected the 40-S to see some action, but it has surpassed what I thought it would go for.   To the moon!!

I see that the auction for that piece had ended.

What did it go for?

On 10/22/2023 at 6:23 PM, Legionary1 said:

I see that the auction for that piece had ended.

What did it go for?

Just under $4,600 with the juice, I dropped out at $3,150.   I would have really liked to have added that one to the set, but maybe another day.   Bidders #11 and #12 really wanted that coin desperately!!

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/22/2023 at 6:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

Just under $4,600 with the juice, I dropped out at $3,150.   I would have really liked to have added that one to the set, but maybe another day.   Bidders #11 and #12 really wanted that coin desperately!!

That exceeds the price paid for the same issue in Stuart Blay's collection, and his specimen was a PCGS-certified MS67+ with the CAC sticker

On 10/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, Legionary1 said:

That exceeds the price paid for the same issue in Stuart Blay's collection, and his specimen was a PCGS-certified MS67+ with the CAC sticker

Yes indeed, I haven't checked but this could be a record price for an NGC MS68.   There was a PCGS MS68 that sold for over $9,000 back in 2018 or there about.