• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Mint Set

138 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

Congrats on the new addition, I hope the bid you placed on the Red Copper Cents coin don't have you end up with a duplicate.

That was an error on my part, I'm bidding on the '40-D and '40-S Lincolns... 

On 12/6/2022 at 7:18 PM, Legionary1 said:

That was an error on my part, I'm bidding on the '40-D and '40-S Lincolns... 

Ok, that makes more sense.  (thumbsu   Again a very nice upgrade you have in that 40P

On 12/6/2022 at 7:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ok, that makes more sense.  (thumbsu   Again a very nice upgrade you have in that 40P

Did you have any issues with adding your own '40 Lincoln PCGS MS67+ CAC to your set?

If I win that '40-D, I'll be asking NGC to correct the point value; it is severely under-valued when compared to the '40 and '40-S.. 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, Legionary1 said:

Did you have any issues with adding your own '40 Lincoln PCGS MS67+ CAC to your set?

If I win that '40-D, I'll be asking NGC to correct the point value; it is severely under-valued when compared to the '40 and '40-S.. 

No not with that coin, I have had some issues with NGC coins as the owner did not do his/her due diligence and remove the coin from a set or inventory once the coin was sold.   But I do not recall ever having an issue with a PCGS coin.   If the cert # checks out on the PCGS cert verification page then you will probably have to contact Ali to get some help.   As I was typing one thought came to my mind, it may be that the sets are still frozen after the registry deadline, I'm not sure how long the sets are kept frozen after that date.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, Coinbuf said:

No not with that coin, I have had some issues with NGC coins as the owner did not do his/her due diligence and remove the coin from a set or inventory once the coin was sold.   But I do not recall ever having an issue with a PCGS coin.   If the cert # checks out on the PCGS cert verification page then you will probably have to contact Ali to get some help.   As I was typing one thought came to my mind, it may be that the sets are still frozen after the registry deadline, I'm not sure how long the sets are kept frozen after that date.

I've had the same issues with a few NGC-certified coins not getting removed from their former owners' sets after I bought them.

I've  already contacted NGC about the issue regarding this coin; hopefully, they won't take too long to get back to me

Edited by Legionary1

I've been outbid on the '40-D and '40-S Lincolns in PCGS MS67+ CAC

However, I do have a line on a  '40-D Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+. If I win this one, I won't have to take the chance of sending the PCGS-certified coin to NGC for a crossover (and having it come back a lower grade). Plus, if I can get the score corrected, I'll net an additional 1,732 points.  

Edited by Legionary1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:13 AM, Legionary1 said:

I've been outbid on the '40-D and '40-S Lincolns in PCGS MS67+ CAC

However, I do have a line on a  '40-D Lincoln in the grade of NGC MS67+. If I win this one, I won't have to take the chance of sending the PCGS-certified coin to NGC for a crossover (and having it come back a lower grade). Plus, if I can get the score corrected, I'll net an additional 1,732 points.  

I'm not surprised, I expect that a few very well to do collectors are snapping up the Blay coins and price is no object to them.   I'm watching a few and will bid strong but still expect to be blown out on those myself.   You are better off finding a coin already in NGC plastic as that is what you prefer, far less expense and hassle than dealing with the problems of crossovers.   During the time that NGC was not allowing PCGS coins into the US registry I attempted a few crossovers, not a single coin crossed, and half of that group had CAC green beans.   There are a lot of politics and nonsense with the crossover game from both companies.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not surprised, I expect that a few very well to do collectors are snapping up the Blay coins and price is no object to them.   I'm watching a few and will bid strong but still expect to be blown out on those myself.   You are better off finding a coin already in NGC plastic as that is what you prefer, far less expense and hassle than dealing with the problems of crossovers. 

Undoubtedly; the problem with that is that NGC-certified slabs in those grades are scarcer than hen's teeth.

That '40-D Lincoln in NGC MS67+ that I found on ebay yesterday disappeared today.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Legionary1 said:

Undoubtedly; the problem with that is that NGC-certified slabs in those grades are scarcer than hen's teeth.

That '40-D Lincoln in NGC MS67+ that I found on ebay yesterday disappeared today.

Darn that is unfortunate, sorry to hear that it got away, did it sell that quickly or was it taken down by the seller?   You are correct that they don't come around every day, but there are enough between NGC and PCGS that they do show up now and then, so I'm sure that another will surface again. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

Darn that is unfortunate, sorry to hear that it got away, did it sell that quickly or was it taken down by the seller?   You are correct that they don't come around every day, but there are enough between NGC and PCGS that they do show up now and then, so I'm sure that another will surface again. 

It was taken down by the seller; don't know why...

On 12/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Coinbuf said:

I'm not surprised, I expect that a few very well to do collectors are snapping up the Blay coins and price is no object to them.   I'm watching a few and will bid strong but still expect to be blown out on those myself.   You are better off finding a coin already in NGC plastic as that is what you prefer, far less expense and hassle than dealing with the problems of crossovers.   During the time that NGC was not allowing PCGS coins into the US registry I attempted a few crossovers, not a single coin crossed, and half of that group had CAC green beans.   There are a lot of politics and nonsense with the crossover game from both companies.

I could also find the coins in the grades I want in PCGS slabs, and just add them. After all, the point values are the same.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:47 AM, Legionary1 said:

I could also find the coins in the grades I want in PCGS slabs, and just add them. After all, the point values are the same.

This has always been my approach, find the best-looking coin regardless of the of brand of plastic.   Only during the PCGS blackout period did I try a few crossovers for registry reasons, lesson learned there.

I am pleased to report that I just bagged a 1940 Washington quarter in the grade of PCGS MS67+ CAC

Pending the release of the coin's ownership.,  it will be added to my registry set. The previous example I had of the issue is graded NGC MS67, with a point value of 774.

The new coin is worth 2,674 points, and the net change is 1,900 points 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I love how you two compete and support each other as you do it.  It's a testament to fellowship in numismatics.  Thanks for being great role models for collectors!

Indeed.

We are, all of us in this hobby, gentlemen; are we not? 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, Coinbuf said:

Hope you win it, it is a very nice coin and the price is not too bad right now.

I had a bid out on the Stewart Blay '40-D cent, but I was outbid. I'm letting this one go because in my mind, the price isn't worth the few extra registry points I'd get for it.

Edited by Legionary1

On 1/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Yep that 40-D is very nice indeed, would be a very nice upgrade if the points were there.

I have to wonder why the  '40-D is so under-valued points-wise.

In MS67+ CAC, it's just as scarce as the '40 and the '40-S... 

On 1/29/2023 at 4:38 PM, Legionary1 said:

Well, I've been sandbagged.

My bid of $800.00 for that '40-S Lincoln just got surpassed.....

Did you see the final price, $4,472 with the juice!!  Not just surpassed, you were blown away!!   Wow I never expected that to sell for that much.   And the 40-D went for moon money too, crazy bidding.

horror.jpg

On 1/29/2023 at 8:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

Did you see the final price, $4,472 with the juice!!  Not just surpassed, you were blown away!!   Wow I never expected that to sell for that much.   And the 40-D went for moon money too, crazy bidding.

horror.jpg

Insane is the word you're looking for.

I left the auction with 45 minutes to go; the remaining action was a war between Bidder 8 and Bidder 9...

Edited by Legionary1