• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Mint Set

138 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2023 at 10:01 PM, Legionary1 said:

Insane is the word you're looking for.

I left the auction with 45 minutes to go; the remaining action was a war between Bidder 8 and Bidder 9...

Irrational exuberance was the term used by a member of the forum ATS, certainly some truth to that thought.   I guess some folks just really wanted most of the Blay coins, I assume that some just wanted to have a part of the best set or the provenance.   This was true for me as the one coin I did win I paid too much for, not 4K too much for but well over what the coin I won is worth.   Some must be the very well heeled collectors that wanted to improve their sets, and lastly thee have to be some dealers that are planning to crack or resubmit looking for MS68 grades.

I know where I can lay my hands on a very nice 40-D in 67+ for less than $500, one fourth of what the Blay coin sold for.   Wild auction results for sure, and that is just the beginning as currently his Canadian cents are now up on GC and I am guessing that his Indian cents will be soon too.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

Irrational exuberance was the term used by a member of the forum ATS, certainly some truth to that thought.   I guess some folks just really wanted most of the Blay coins, I assume that some just wanted to have a part of the best set or the provenance.   This was true for me as the one coin I did win I paid too much for, not 4K too much for but well over what the coin I won is worth.   Some must be the very well heeled collectors that wanted to improve their sets, and lastly thee have to be some dealers that are planning to crack or resubmit looking for MS68 grades.

I know where I can lay my hands on a very nice 40-D in 67+ for less than $500, one fourth of what the Blay coin sold for.   Wild auction results for sure, and that is just the beginning as currently his Canadian cents are now up on GC and I am guessing that his Indian cents will be soon too.

It was the hype surrounding the sale of Blay's collection that did it.

Gentlemen:

It is with the deepest regret that I announce that (due to economic necessity), I have to downgrade my 1940 set from NGC MS67 to NGC MS66.

Nothing like a busted waterpipe in my house to kill my desire to continue the competition. 

On 2/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, Legionary1 said:

Gentlemen:

It is with the deepest regret that I announce that (due to economic necessity), I have to downgrade my 1940 set from NGC MS67 to NGC MS66.

Nothing like a busted waterpipe in my house to kill my desire to continue the competition. 

Sorry to hear about your bad news, those homeowner repairs can be expensive.   Last year I had to replace one of the A/C units for my house, I sure hope the other can last another year or two.   I hope that you will be able to come back stronger than ever in time.

I have a 1940 jefferson no mint 10 cent and a 1940 s also a 1935 mercury dime D i am computer illiterate if you all could possibly help me out a little id appriciate it

@Paul3990--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

You have posted your inquiry in an existing topic regarding "registry sets" for gem uncirculated (brand new looking) coins dated 1940 that have been certified by a grading service such as NGC, which is unrelated to your inquiry about the likely worn coins that you have, which would be worth much, much less than those obtained for registry sets. Your inquiry should be posted as a new topic in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, preferably with clear, cropped photos of each side of each coin. Without photos, we can't evaluate your coins.

Assuming that your coins are circulated (worn) as they are usually found, a 1940 Jefferson nickel would likely only have a retail value of face value (five cents) to twenty-five cents. A circulated 1935-D "Mercury" dime would likely be worth anywhere from its silver value (currently around $1.60) to $12 or so. I can't be more specific without seeing what the coins look like.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:42 PM, Coinbuf said:

Sorry to hear about your bad news, those homeowner repairs can be expensive.   Last year I had to replace one of the A/C units for my house, I sure hope the other can last another year or two.   I hope that you will be able to come back stronger than ever in time.

Due to improved circumstances, I've been able to keep the rest  of the 1940 set as it is, and have recently obtained replacements fro my 1940 Lincoln cents, all are now in the grade of NGC MS67 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

That is great, happy to hear that you were not required to dismantle your set entirely.  (thumbsu

The only remaining coin I need to re-complete the set is a '40-P Washington quarter in NGC MS67.

Unfortunately, the only specimens I'm seeing for sale right now aren't all that attractive; I've never been a fan of toning, as I prefer my coins to be stone-white brilliant. 

On 3/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Legionary1 said:

The only remaining coin I need to re-complete the set is a '40-P Washington quarter in NGC MS67.

Unfortunately, the only specimens I'm seeing for sale right now aren't all that attractive; I've never been a fan of toning, as I prefer my coins to be stone-white brilliant. 

Nice to see you on the hunt again! (thumbsu   One will pop up, not a tough coin to find in general and I can relate.   While I can appreciate a nice toned coin, for coins from this timeframe I prefer a blast white coin as well.

Owing to improved circumstances, I am once again able to continue improving my 1940 Mint Set; as I just bagged a 1940-S Lincoln cent in the grade of NGC MS67+ CAC from Kearney Coin Company in Kearny, Nebraska.

The presence of the CAC sticker is (as yet) unrecognized by NGC, so I'll have to dash off a message to get them to correct the entry.

Edited by Legionary1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:14 PM, Legionary1 said:

Owing to improved circumstances, I am once again able to continue improving my 1940 Mint Set; as I just bagged a 1940-S Lincoln cent in the grade of NGC MS67+ CAC from Kearney Coin Company in Kearny, Nebraska.

The presence of the CAC sticker is (as yet) unrecognized by NGC, so I'll have to dash off a message to get them to correct the entry.

No need to write NGC, NGC is aware of the problem See Here the real issue is that there is no way of knowing yet how it will be resolved.   Nice to you see you active with your set again, congrats on the 40-S.  :smile:

On 7/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

No need to write NGC, NGC is aware of the problem See Here the real issue is that there is no way of knowing yet how it will be resolved.   Nice to you see you active with your set again, congrats on the 40-S.  :smile:

Once again, your kind words are gratefully received.

I didn't know of the issues with CAC, so that's a new one on me.

If the CAC bonus point end up going away, I and others will be rather annoyed.

I had a chance to bag a '40-D Washington quarter NGC MS67+ and a '40-S Washington NGC MS67+ CAC for about the same price; about $1,500 each. However, while I was occupied in grabbing the '40-S Linc, some scurvy knave or knaves bought them out from underneath me

Edited by Legionary1

Well you are a touch closer after I lost all those CAC bonus points, and while I'm fairly comfy at the moment I do have an iron or two in the fire.  ;)

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/10/2023 at 6:36 PM, CIII said:

You guys are dangerous to read.  Sadly, my tastes are champagne, but my budget is only beer.

I would say that your description of yourself fits most of us, the hard part of not having a fat wallet is that a collector has to be disciplined and patient.   Takes way longer to build a set that way but I find that studying while I accumulate funds makes buying that one big coin extra satisfying.   In some ways it wouldn't be as fun if all I had to do was click the mouse a few times, although I would not mind trying that at least once.  ;)

On 4/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello. Please post any score correction requests by following the directions below. Thank you.

Dear Madam:

I have just requested a score correction on my 1940-D Lincoln cent in the grade of NGC MS-67+ for the following reasons:

"As regards the census for the 1940 cent, the census is 24, with none graded higher than NGC MS67+; for the 1940-D cent, there are just 5 examples graded higher than NGC MS67. Lastly, for the 1940-S cent in NGC MS67+, the census is just 7, with one graded higher. If anything, the point value for the 1940-D issue in NGC MS67+ should be equal to the others."

I wanted to enter this text in my request, but there was no way to do so.

Please advise.

I upgraded my '40-D Lincoln to the grade of NGC MS67+, and I'm hoping to get the score corrected.

It is severely-undervalued, points-wise, as there are just five examples of this coin in that grade in the registry.

• Administrator
On 9/23/2023 at 12:11 AM, Legionary1 said:

Dear Madam:

I have just requested a score correction on my 1940-D Lincoln cent in the grade of NGC MS-67+ for the following reasons:

"As regards the census for the 1940 cent, the census is 24, with none graded higher than NGC MS67+; for the 1940-D cent, there are just 5 examples graded higher than NGC MS67. Lastly, for the 1940-S cent in NGC MS67+, the census is just 7, with one graded higher. If anything, the point value for the 1940-D issue in NGC MS67+ should be equal to the others."

I wanted to enter this text in my request, but there was no way to do so.

Please advise.

Hello, @Legionary1.

Please follow these directions for a score correction:

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/426754-how-do-i-request-an-ngc-score-correction/

Population is automatically considered in the NGC Registry scoring algorithm. It is one of many factors taken into consideration. Thank you.

• Administrator
On 9/23/2023 at 10:42 PM, Legionary1 said:

I upgraded my '40-D Lincoln to the grade of NGC MS67+, and I'm hoping to get the score corrected.

It is severely-undervalued, points-wise, as there are just five examples of this coin in that grade in the registry.

@Legionary1.

If your coin is still showing the "old" grade in the NGC Registry, please email us your NGC certification number to registry@NGCcoin.com, or post it here. Thank you.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ali E. said:

@Legionary1.

If your coin is still showing the "old" grade in the NGC Registry, please email us your NGC certification number to registry@NGCcoin.com, or post it here. Thank you.

I did exactly that, and it didn't allow me to mention the coin's '+' grade

New Coin, Cert#6699782-004, 595 points

Old Coin: cert#637486-038, 575 points

The '40-D in NGC MS67+ is severely under-valued points-wise compared to the '40 and '40-S in the same grade; the NGC value of the '40-S exceeds the '40 and the '40-S combined. It is also far more rare...

Edited by Legionary1

On 9/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

Good luck on getting the points revised, that will give me a good reason to upgrade my MS67. ;)

Do please recall that, in a much-earlier post in this thread, I opined that the '40-D in the grade of NGC MS67+ was severely-undervalued points-wise and that ALI E. invited me to request a score correction...

• Administrator
On 9/26/2023 at 12:30 PM, Legionary1 said:

Do please recall that, in a much-earlier post in this thread, I opined that the '40-D in the grade of NGC MS67+ was severely-undervalued points-wise and that ALI E. invited me to request a score correction...

Hello.

Again, please follow these directions if you wish to request a score correction: https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/426754-how-do-i-request-an-ngc-score-correction/

Population is automatically considered in the NGC Registry scoring algorithm. It is one of many factors taken into consideration. Thank you.