1940 Mint Set

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, Legionary1 said:

Ouch.

Remember what I said about stupid money?

My congratulations on snagging that '40 Washington in NGC MS68; the way things are shaping up, I'll not be able to beat you even if I did get a '40-S Walker in NGC MS67... 

Thank you, it was quite expensive but considering that it has almost the same point value as a 40-S walker in 67 at less than 1/4 of the price I decided to reach for it.    And to be honest the coin it replaces was never my favorite as the tone was rather heavy for my taste, a nice side benefit is having an NGC top pop coin inthe set.   Only one coin in the set that I really want to upgrade now, the hunt continues.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 6/9/2022 at 8:21 AM, Coinbuf said:

Thank you, it was quite expensive but considering that it has almost the same point value as a 40-S walker in 67 at less than 1/4 of the price I decided to reach for it.    And to be honest the coin it replaces was never my favorite as the tone was rather heavy for my taste, a nice side benefit is having an NGC top pop coin inthe set.   Only one coin in the set that I really want to upgrade now, the hunt continues.

You're quite welcome.

What coin did you want to upgrade?

On 6/9/2022 at 8:39 PM, Legionary1 said:

You're quite welcome.

What coin did you want to upgrade?

I would like to replace the 40-S dime, the one in my set is ok but doesn't have the best eye appeal.   So while a + coin would be nice to take its place, it is more about finding a nicer looking coin even if the grade stays the same.   Not a must do but rather one of those back burner coins that I'll be on the look out for but not aggressively searching for.   I actually have a PCGS MS65 with a CAC gold bean that is far more eye appealing than the current NGC 67, if I am not able to find one that has the eye appeal I want perhaps one day I'll crack that MS65 and have it regraded.   I think it would go 67 in a heartbeat and has the eye appeal I want, just hate to crack a rattler holder.

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would like to replace the 40-S dime, the one in my set is ok but doesn't have the best eye appeal.   So while a + coin would be nice to take its place, it is more about finding a nicer looking coin even if the grade stays the same.   Not a must do but rather one of those back burner coins that I'll be on the look out for but not aggressively searching for.   I actually have a PCGS MS65 with a CAC gold bean that is far more eye appealing than the current NGC 67, if I am not able to find one that has the eye appeal I want perhaps one day I'll crack that MS65 and have it regraded.   I think it would go 67 in a heartbeat and has the eye appeal I want, just hate to crack a rattler holder.

I see what you mean about your '40-S Merc.

I've never been a fan of toned coins; I've always considered toning to be a form of environmental damage.

My own specimen of the '40-S issue has the green bean; the stone-white brilliance on the obverse and reverse is why...

I've been looking for a specimen of the issue with both the CAC sticker and a '+' grade, but have had no luck. 

Edited by Legionary1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, Legionary1 said:

I see what you mean about your '40-S Merc.

I've never been a fan of toned coins; I've always considered toning to be a form of environmental damage.

My own specimen of the '40-S issue has the green bean; the stone-white brilliance on the obverse and reverse is why...

I've been looking for a specimen of the issue with both the CAC sticker and a '+' grade, but have had no luck. 

Finding one in NGC plastic will be tough as the census shows only 5 in 67+, so this crackouts there may really only be three or four.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

Finding one in NGC plastic will be tough as the census shows only 5 in 67+, so this crackouts there may really only be three or four.

So, it sounds like my specimen is as high as I can expect to get  

Edited by Legionary1

On 6/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, Legionary1 said:

So, it sounds like my specimen is as high as I can expect to get  

No just that it will take some searching and time to find one, I spent over a year looking for the 40-S Lincoln in 67+.   I was willing to buy a PCGS graded one due to the low population of coins in that grade in NGC plastic, but my patience was rewarded as a few new coins were graded and I was able to acquire one of those new to the census coins.   And of course you could always buy a PCGS/CAC coin and cross it to NGC, extra expenses that way but another possibility.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, Coinbuf said:

No just that it will take some searching and time to find one, I spent over a year looking for the 40-S Lincoln in 67+.   I was willing to buy a PCGS graded one due to the low population of coins in that grade in NGC plastic, but my patience was rewarded as a few new coins were graded and I was able to acquire one of those new to the census coins.   And of course you could always buy a PCGS/CAC coin and cross it to NGC, extra expenses that way but another possibility.

I have considered that, but if I dropped $1,500 on a .40-S Lincoln in PCGS MS67+ CAC, send it to NGC for a crossover and have it come back as a lower grade, I'd be wrathfully annoyed.

Edited by Legionary1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, Legionary1 said:

I have considered that, but if I dropped $1,500 on a .40-S Lincoln in PCGS MS67+ CAC, send it to NGC for a crossover and have it come back as a lower grade, I'd be wrathfully annoyed.

This is a real concern, before NGC began to allow PCGS coins back in registry sets I sent in a few high grade (67 or better a couple were already CAC'd) PCGS graded coins for crossover at same grade, all failed to cross.   Now I was only out the grading/shipping fees as I said at grade, but it just goes to show that crossovers are dicey and never a sure thing.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I have really enjoyed reading the friendly, competitive banter in this thread.  Thanks to both of you guys for bing such cool dudes! B|(thumbsu

You're quite welcome, sir.

Opportunities to upgrade my set are going to be few and far between, as the really high-grade stuff is very expensive.

Examples are that 1940-D Washington quarter NGC MS67+ at L & C Coins for $2,900.00; they also have a 1940-S quarter NGC MS68 at $8,504.00.

Trying to find a 1940-D cent in the grade of NGC MS67+ CAC; all I have seen are PCGS-graded, and I don't trust NGC to cross one over at the same grade.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:26 PM, Legionary1 said:

Opportunities to upgrade my set are going to be few and far between, as the really high-grade stuff is very expensive.

Examples are that 1940-D Washington quarter NGC MS67+ at L & C Coins for $2,900.00; they also have a 1940-S quarter NGC MS68 at $8,504.00.

Trying to find a 1940-D cent in the grade of NGC MS67+ CAC; all I have seen are PCGS-graded, and I don't trust NGC to cross one over at the same grade.

I am in the same boat, that MS68 quarter really emptied the piggy bank and then some!  But as I studied the pops and the points it was one of the best bang for the buck opportunities so I went ahead and swung for it.  While some coins in both our sets are maxed out at the current top pop, there are still some coins that can be upgraded.   But as you noted most of those upgrades, especially the 40-S Walker in 67 and the MS68 quarters are big money.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, Coinbuf said:

I am in the same boat, that MS68 quarter really emptied the piggy bank and then some!  But as I studied the pops and the points it was one of the best bang for the buck opportunities so I went ahead and swung for it.  While some coins in both our sets are maxed out at the current top pop, there are still some coins that can be upgraded.   But as you noted most of those upgrades, especially the 40-S Walker in 67 and the MS68 quarters are big money.

Quite so; our sets are at such a stratospheric level in the registry that opportunities for improvement will be both very spendy and few & far between.

For example, my three '40 Jefferson nickels are all NGC MS67 6FS. The '40-D in NGC MS67+ 5FS is actually worth fewer points than my '40-D NGC 6FS specimen.