• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 Morgan S estimated grade? Worth grading?

15 posts in this topic

If it straight grades id guess AU55. Im by far not a professional though. Just want to point that out. Its got some wear on the high spots. It looks like it may have had a  cleaning at one time. Not saying it did. Just looks like it to me. If it has been cleaned it will get a details grade. I really like the pink toning though. There will be more knowledgable people come along shortly. But if it were mine I wouldnt have it graded. I would put it in a flip. I really dont think it will grade high enough to justify the cost of having it done. 

she has a really good strike on her.  without seeing the luster or being able to see how the light reflects i would say high AU as a conservative estamate.

I would not advise spending the money to have either of these graded, both are at best mid AU and from the photos both look to have been wiped/cleaned in the past and I would not be surprised if both came back as details grades.   Only if these are rare or highly desirable VAM's could it be worth it, I do not collect VAM's so I did not check.   However your coins and your money so your choice to have graded or not.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, La_isla said:

She's been in the family for at least 100 years.   

Being the family for a century doesn't mean she hasn't had a bath.

Neither are worth the cost of authentication and independent grading.

I don't think RWB meant any disrespect. As collectors we just know that lots of coins that get handed down have the potential to have been cleaned at one time or another. I have  morgens and  peace dollars that have been in my collection for 50 years and all were cleaned before I got them. Not much I can do about it. I just enjoy them for what they are. 

Thank you JP Mashoke......  RWB could have chosen many and far better words.  I've been around long enough to understand there are those who fail to understand common decency and have be brought up in a way that they feel comfortable to naturally mess on other people.  No sweat. It's all good.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:42 PM, La_isla said:

Jeeeeze.....  Thanks for the cold shower on both me and my family. 

You asked for opinions. My first was a little sarcastic - mainly meaning that you have no way to telling what was done to the coin in the past. Not a comment about your family only about unknowns.

The second is cold reality, something you requested.

Don't feel to bad....The old coins look "odd" to most people, and they automatically assume that if its old or strange looking it must be valuable. There are 2,000+ year old coins that are old and odd and worth only a couple of dollars....or even less.

Edited by RWB