• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pay It Forward And Create A Collector........
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Not sure where you guys live but if you have average carpenter skills, you could easily build one.   It would also be a great project for Boy Scouts or Eagle Scouts. Then put them around town or any right-of-way location.  

If you build it, they will come!  Don't forget to add the coin folder.  😃

On 4/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, Woods020 said:

Well you know down here in Alabama we don’t like to read a whole lot…😂

Totally kidding and I hate the stereotypes. I live in the same town as The University of Alabama. But for whatever reason I am not aware of any of these existing here. I see them when I’m traveling for work. With our mayor it would take 3 years, 18 council meetings, an environmental impact assessment, and the wind to be blowing the right way for him to allow this. He is a nutcase on oversight of anything to do with building or city planning. 

I could see someone building them, putting them up along the roadside and guys using them as target practice in Alabama!  :roflmao:

On 4/11/2022 at 5:43 PM, tj96 said:

I could see someone building them, putting them up along the roadside and guys using them as target practice in Alabama!  :roflmao:

Stranger things have happened around here. 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:48 PM, Coinbuf said:

I am in Phoenix Arizona Hog, not unusual for it to be over 120 degrees on summer days, most summers we will see at least 40 days with temps over 110.   Heck the nights only cool down to about 90 thru most of Jun thru Aug.

Now you know why I have few toned coins.  ;)

Yes sir. I traveled thru Arizona back in 2001. Only time I ever been in Arizona. My dad and I. In a Chevy s10. Went to California working. Went past Vegas on way out. Went to Sacramento and San Fransisco. Then last job was in LA. We came thru the desert home. Got out there and s10 broke down at a gas station. Fuel pump goin out. Dad beat on the tank with a hammer for 10 minutes. Finally got it fired back up. We was afraid to shut it back off. Also had a bad oil leak. Every 3rd fillup of gas we would pour a quart of oil in it. Finally made it home and shut it off and it neverhit another lick again. Had to put new pump in it. That was a miserabe trip all cramped up in that truck. Very beautiful country we saw out there and back. I enjoyed the sights we saw through Arizona. Seen several those little small dust tornadoes or whatever they are. Cant remember the road we took but we went several miles with no traffic or gas stations. 

Ahh yes our dust devils, like mini tornados of a sort.   Those are nothing compared to the Haboos we get during the monsoon season, here is a photo that was taken a few years ago as a large Haboo moved into the Phoenix area, massive dust storms that cut visibility to just a few feet sometimes.

haboo.webp

On 4/11/2022 at 10:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ahh yes our dust devils, like mini tornados of a sort.   Those are nothing compared to the Haboos we get during the monsoon season, here is a photo that was taken a few years ago as a large Haboo moved into the Phoenix area, massive dust storms that cut visibility to just a few feet sometimes.

haboo.webp

Very impressive. Ive never encountered one of those before. But those little dust devils were pretty cool for someone like me who never encountered them. We seen like 7 or 8 at one time. They were everywhere.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, JKK said:

I used to live in Kennewick, Washington. Outside the NW it is not generally understood that only the western sides of OR and WA get a lot of rain. Both have mountain ranges dividing dry side from wet side, and Kennewick is one of the Tri-Cities (naturally often called the Dry Cities, or worse) along with Richland and Pasco, three hours and one major mountain pass from Seattle. In Kennewick, the wind blows pretty much all the time and the dominant terrain is sagebrush and sand. The wind often picks up enough of the finer dust to create dust storms; in fact, near Hermiston, OR there are signs warning of the potential for low visibility due to blowing dust.

The sagebrush (Russian thistle; invasive) breaks off when it dies as a big spiny tumbleweed ball about the size of a really big charcoal grill, and they pile up on the fences to the point where they provide a ramp for more tumbleweeds to roll over them. At Hanford, where the primary activity is not cleaning up the nuclear waste (blaming unions and DEA, never themselves) so that their children can get overpaid jobs not cleaning it up which will help their kids in turn have overpaid jobs not cleaning it up, there used to be a crew that drove around the fence lines (it's almost 600 square miles) doing nothing but safely burning tumbleweeds. As you might imagine, "safely" is the key word because in a place that only gets about 8" of rain a year (compare this to about 110" out in Forks, Twilight show country near the coast, and Aberdeen, Nirvana country on Grays Harbor), they fear fire like people on wooden ships or in lumber mills. Normal summers are about 100 F highs, spiking over 112 rarely.

What's really fun is when it's that hot, the wind kicks up and creates a dust storm, and you're catching nine innings. Like living in a hair dryer full of desert camo baby powder. Doesn't snow much or ice much because not enough moisture most of the time to begin building up on surfaces. And yet the Columbia, which is about half a mile wide, rolls right through with so much water SoCal was begging for some of it years back. Probably will again. (Good luck getting that across Oregon, heh.)

Crazy how the weather is so different. Is the mountain range the cause of it. I was always facinated with those sorts of things. 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Crazy how the weather is so different. Is the mountain range the cause of it. I was always facinated with those sorts of things. 

It is. Systems come in from the coast and hit the Cascades, a chain of andesite volcanoes and associated mountainry. This creates ski areas, and not much moisture gets past the high country except in northern WA. Get over the mountains and it's pretty arid. Potland/Vancouver and Seattle/Tacoma/Everett are on the wet sides, so they get more rain than the dry side but not as much as the coasts. My mother used to teach at Neah Bay, a res where WA comes to a point at the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and somewhat as we used to say back home, it typically rained much like a cow voiding her bladder on a flat rock.