• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Melting temperatures of US coin metals - Denver 1982

14 posts in this topic

The following are temperatures at which various metals are melted at the Denver Mint:
Copper Plated Zinc Cent (CPZ) 850° - 900° F.
Bronze Cent (Copper) 2, 200° F.
8 1/ 3 (%Nickel) Dime , Quarter , Ralf Dollar - 2, 400° F.
Nickel - 2,800° F.
Stamping Dies - 3, 000° F.

[Notice that melting zinc cents would leave pure copper slag at the bottom of the induction furnace. RWB.]

Edited by RWB

I just melted some lead a few minutes ago. It sure melts easy. Freshend up my sinker supply. Catfish season is here!!!!!!!! I make these flat no roll sinkers for the strong river current. Theyre not pretty but it saves me a bunch of money each year. I picked up enough lead tire weights beside the road at work to do me all year. 20220402_200108.thumb.jpg.9d9de070c723764bb6ccc43b88a0a0d2.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

Long ago my cousin and I would "mine" the local high school's rifle range (yes, we had one and could bring our own rifles to school - less the firing pin or bolt) for lead from the .22 bullets. We had an NRA (back before NRA became political and angry) marksmanship program for "activity period" and used .22 Longs. On a good Saturday, we could dig 10 to 20 pounds out of the hillside. The only rule was to put the dirt back and pick out any stones that might cause a ricochet.  (Other people used the firing range on weekends and non-school days, too.)

We would melt the lead in clean steel cans and cast it into fishing weights in a mold. Caught hell from my grandmother one time when my cousin's can split and lead split on her kitchen stove.

Edited by RWB

On 4/2/2022 at 8:51 PM, RWB said:

Long ago my cousin and I would "mine" the local high school's rifle range (yes, we had one and could bring our own rifles to school - less the firing pin or bold) for lead from the .22 bullets. We had an NRA (back before NRA became political and angry) marksmanship program for "activity period" and used .22 Longs. On a good Saturday, we could dig 10 to 20 pounds out of the hillside. The only rule was to put the dirt back and pick out any stones that might cause a ricochet.  (Other people used the firing range on weekends and non-school days, too.)

We would melt the lead in clean steel cans and cast it into fishing weights in a mold. Caught hell from my grandmother one time when my cousin's can split and lead split on her kitchen stove.

Its sure dangerous stuff. Bad about splashing. I got a blister on my thumb while ago where some dripped out on me. I dumped the old slag out of my sons melting pot and it popped all over the ground and splashed everywhere. Luckily it didnt get on me when I done that. 

Have been casting my own bullets for decades. Have used type metal (linotype) for best results and castability. This alloy is hard to find anymore but I have a small amount left though. Melts at around 685 F but pours best around 725 F.

On 4/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, numisport said:

Have been casting my own bullets for decades. Have used type metal (linotype) for best results and castability. This alloy is hard to find anymore but I have a small amount left though. Melts at around 685 F but pours best around 725 F.

Never used it before. Is it very expensive?

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Never used it before. Is it very expensive?

I'm sure you can still buy it. Your finished bullet will be hard but slightly light from molds designed for #2 alloy. You won't find actual print type metal anymore but you should be able to purchase linotype alloy in ingot form I would guess.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, numisport said:

I'm sure you can still buy it. Your finished bullet will be hard but slightly light from molds designed for #2 alloy. You won't find actual print type metal anymore but you should be able to purchase linotype alloy in ingot form I would guess.

How does it compare to wheel weight metal?

On 4/5/2022 at 10:35 PM, Just Bob said:

How does it compare to wheel weight metal?

Linotype is probably the hardest lead/tin alloy available. Usually Antimony is present in small quantities as well. By the way Lyman cast bullet manual shows 9 lbs. wheel weights and 1 pound 50/50 bar solder is referred to as #2 alloy which was considered the most common bullet alloy. Roger sorry to derail this thread, I'll stop here.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:51 PM, RWB said:

Long ago my cousin and I would "mine" the local high school's rifle range (yes, we had one and could bring our own rifles to school - less the firing pin or bolt) for lead from the .22 bullets. We had an NRA (back before NRA became political and angry) marksmanship program for "activity period" and used .22 Longs. On a good Saturday, we could dig 10 to 20 pounds out of the hillside. The only rule was to put the dirt back and pick out any stones that might cause a ricochet.  (Other people used the firing range on weekends and non-school days, too.)

In Lancaster and Lebanon counties in Pennsylvania, competitive rifle shooting is STILL an interscholastic sport and the scores are published in the Lancaster newspapers as they always have been, right next to the “ball sports”. Not everywhere has surrendered to the woke mobs. 

On 4/6/2022 at 6:18 PM, VKurtB said:

In Lancaster and Lebanon counties in Pennsylvania, competitive rifle shooting is STILL an interscholastic sport and the scores are published in the Lancaster newspapers as they always have been, right next to the “ball sports”. Not everywhere has surrendered to the woke mobs. 

We have turkey shoots around here. Pay so much a shot and maybe win some steaks, ham, money, or just whatever.  Havent been to one in a while but Ive had alot of fun going in the past. Dont see as many around as there used to be.