• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jefferson nickel with no visible date and the nickel is way smaller than a regular nickel
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

When  posting please crop your photos and show both sides of the coin.
From what I can see from the rather blurry photo, it looks like some sort of damage.

Whatever it is, it isn’t an error.

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your nickel got caught in a machine of some kind, and suffered severe damage. It is not a mint error. 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your nickel got caught in a machine of some kind, and suffered severe damage. It is not a mint error. 

Blow torch?

On 4/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, RWB said:

What kind of commercial dryer or washer every accepted nickels?

I always thought the same thing, including cents!

Can change fall out of pants pockets and get caught between the inner and outer dryer drums?   I think many of these damaged type coins are just called "dryer coins" because an exact explanation is impossible. 

Edited by tj96

On 4/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, tj96 said:

Can change fall out of pants pockets and get caught between the inner and outer dryer drums?   I think many of these damaged type coins are just called "dryer coins" because an exact explanation is impossible. 

@tj96

Read the error-ref explanation including the link they provide.  That will provide a lot of good info explaining dryer coins. 

On 4/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, Oldhoopster said:

@tj96

Read the error-ref explanation including the link they provide.  That will provide a lot of good info explaining dryer coins. 

Yes, I've read it. I understand the concept.  Dryer coin is only "one definition" of an "altered" coin. This coin could have been altered in many different ways to create this effect.  Do you think it's impossible to create this affect with anything "other" then a dryer?  Give someone the right equipment and they could create these coins all day long in their garage. 

However, I will be convinced once I see one of these coin slabbed by a TPG'ers with Dryer Coin on the label. 

...or twiddled between V. Putin's fingers....

Oh...not fair to the nickel...... sorry. Should have added: хвала і слава Україні !

Edited by RWB

On 4/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, tj96 said:

A guy I know gave me a dryer for scrap iron. I broke it down to get the copper wire and motor out of it and it had over $4 in change inside it. And some coins aginst the tumbler. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:15 PM, Hoghead515 said:

A guy I know gave me a dryer for scrap iron. I broke it down to get the copper wire and motor out of it and it had over $4 in change inside it. And some coins aginst the tumbler. 

What did those coins look like?  Did they look like the OP's nickel?

On 4/2/2022 at 8:20 PM, tj96 said:

What did those coins look like?  Did they look like the OP's nickel?

A couple was worn fairly smooth  but most were unharmed. I should have saved them for referance but I never thought and put them back in circulation. Most the coins were down in the bottom of the dryer away from the moving parts.  Some probably got up by the tumbler while I was loading and unloading it off the truck cause I found a few behind it. I could hear them rattling around while I was tossing it around. It was loaded with change. Also found a lincoln in it with a masonary stap on it inside. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:32 PM, Hoghead515 said:

A couple was worn fairly smooth  but most were unharmed. I should have saved them for referance but I never thought and put them back in circulation. Most the coins were down in the bottom of the dryer away from the moving parts.  Some probably got up by the tumbler while I was loading and unloading it off the truck cause I found a few behind it. I could hear them rattling around while I was tossing it around. It was loaded with change. Also found a lincoln in it with a masonary stap on it inside. 

You had a nice little payday!!  It must have been like a treasure hunt inside that dryer.  👍🏻

Edited by tj96

On 4/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, tj96 said:

You had a nice little payday!!  It must have been like a treasure hunt inside that dryer.  👍🏻

The old man that gave it to me is bad about not cleaning his pockets out. He is a free mason and said he stamped a few lincoln cents. He told me to hang onto it and the change to. Hes into the mason thing big time. He goes to lodge meetings all the time. I work with his son. Hes a mason to. He said that cent came from one of the two of them. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I never felt there was much point in debating the cause if PMD.  Just want to point out that the editors of error-ref (Mike Diamond, Fred Weinberg, Jon Sullivan, et al) felt it was significant enough to include a section explaining it in the Non-Error section

Those individuals have been challenged and wrong before.  Just because they write books and articles doesn't mean they're perfect.  Trust me, there's a political angle and professional competition in everything they do in this industry.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, Oldhoopster said:

It could have occurred in anything where the coin is frequently tumbled, pump, rock tumbler without grinding media, etc.  Dryer coin seems to have become the generic term for any sort of tumbling PMD

I know.

Edited by tj96

Heres the cent. Its pretty corroded. Alot of them was. I guess from the moisture. Wished I had saved the two smooth ones. One was a quarter and one a nickel. May just been coincedence. May not have been done by the dryer but they were in there.  RoundPhoto_Apr022022_210404.thumb.png.b3e03968004b6d81438544ad0059d47e.pngSorry if I misspelled that word. Not the best speller. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, Alex2022 said:

Blow me haters

Dont see how anyone is hating. Everyone is telling you possible ways your nickel got damaged. Which is all it is. Damage. It didnt leave the mint like that. 

The OP has just lost any credibility he might have had. He felt the need to lash out, simply because he could not accept the idea that other people do not think exactly like he does. That makes us all "haters" in his book. This, sadly, is the mindset of the current generation. 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, Just Bob said:

The OP has just lost any credibility he might have had. He felt the need to lash out, simply because he could not accept the idea that other people do not think exactly like he does. That makes us all "haters" in his book. This, sadly, is the mindset of the current generation. 

Sure is. He was hoping he had something valuable and got mad when he was told the truth. Some people cant handle the truth. One of those hoping to get rich quick types. Probably watched some of those videos on you tube thats got people thinking you can become a millionare digging thru pocket change. 

Edited by Hoghead515