• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-focusing on Collection - What is your strategy?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Like so many people, it wasn't without a focus, just too many focuses. I've thinned out my collection over the past several years, but I'm now actively culling to the core.

I used to throw a bunch of "that's neat" or "that's unusual" coins in a box. Just stuff you don't see. Those are being sold via eBay and a major auction house. I like 17th & 18th century European Crowns, but decided that if they aren't in special condition (generally MS64 or higher), I don't need them. They are replaceable. They're all going to an auction house. This includes some MS65 & MS66 examples that are amazing, rare, top pop, but I'm just not in love with anymore. 

With prices so crazy, I'm actually finding it harder to justify keeping many coins I like. I just watched a coin hammer for $8000, where a few years back I bought a same grade example for $1100. Earlier this year an MS62 example of a coin I own sold for $4000. I paid $1200 for an MS65 example a few years back. How can you hold these when there is so much profit available...

I would not recommend preserving it for your children unless they are active collectors. They won't know the value, won't appreciate them, and it will just be work for them to dispose of the collection. 

After reading an article in a coin publication, I realized I had ballast instead of a collection. I decided to go quality over quantity. I rolled a lot of common items into a few key coins that I really wanted. It was difficult, some of the coins were gifts and inheritances. For example, I traded 30 years of (mid 60's to mid 90's) mint and proof sets for an MS 62 RB,1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent. I did add a few bucks to make the deal. It's so much more pleasing to own this coin than have a suit case full of $5 mint sets I never looked at. Some of the sets were gifts from my late Father but I feel good knowing he played a major role in me having a coin I never thought I would own. My selling and some buying has been with a local Dealer and Coin Shows. I have made some online auction purchases and they are fun to search for deals. When I check out, I'll leave a legacy, not a burden.

Edited by Teddy R

The reason Im gonna leave mine to my children is because they enjoy collecting also. I never thought about it in a way if they didnt enjoy collecting. Thats why im planning on enjoying mine until its time to plant me under a big tree and then hopfully they will get all the enjoyment I do from them. They still enjoy looking through them now and ive already gave them a few. Got two boys. 

My standing orders are to call a couple of people on the list and tell them take everything.  no leftovers.  hopefully it will keep the wife in her style of living until she departs.  other than that i have started filling and selling everything that extra and narrowing the focus to my older series coins.

Is what you have to cull graded or raw? I agree with others on dealers or eBay, but I also like to advocate for selling on these boards. I like seeing collectors selling to collectors, even if I do try my hand at dealing from time to time. 

On 3/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, BillJones said:

You might call this "unfocused" but most of these collections are complete. 

I call this "extreme focused".  Each of those sets are extremely challenging, and the definitely do not complete themselves.  Nice work!

Safes and Tupperware tubs. Boxes and bags. Books and albums. More more more!  I’ll just have to go to my grave with a mountain of stuff and I think they will enjoy it. They are very aware of my passion and know that collecting is personal.  Very easy for me because I really really like what I’m doing and when I’m dead I won’t care.  

I’ll share this. Stick a $100,000 in a life insurance policy and specify it be used to preserve or replace the collection  with something different. A little cash makes negotiating something like this a little easier. 

Edited by James Zyskowski

My strategy is to establish a legacy/family heirloom collection. Hopefully, to be past down to the kids one day after I'm gone......   But who knows, my collection will probably end up in one of you guys collections one day!  :roflmao:

On 2/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, gmarguli said:

With prices so crazy, I'm actually finding it harder to justify keeping many coins I like. I just watched a coin hammer for $8000, where a few years back I bought a same grade example for $1100. Earlier this year an MS62 example of a coin I own sold for $4000. I paid $1200 for an MS65 example a few years back. How can you hold these when there is so much profit available...

I don't own any coins like this but totally agree.  Many of these coins are actually very ordinary, except under the inflated standards so widely used in the US.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I call this "extreme focused".  Each of those sets are extremely challenging, and the definitely do not complete themselves.  Nice work!

Agree

It's only unfocused if the collector doesn't have the money and interest to collect what they do simultaneously.  Being focused doesn't mean the collector has to only buy "finest known" or try to put together a high ranged registry set in one series.  

For me, I am down to one broader series.  It's the pillar coinage of Bolivia (1767-1770) and Peru (1752-1772): 1/2R, 1R, 2R, and 4R.  I also own some from Guatemala and Mexico along with a few 8s but don't buy it regularly.

That's all I have the money for if I am going to ever progress meaningfully.  I also have a few side collections, Spanish colonial quarter real (1790's to early 1820's) and Bolivia Republic decimals (1864-1909).  In the latter, I'm primarily interested in the crown sized Boliviano and "key" dates, though I will buy the more common ones if it's a reasonably priced very high quality example.

I used to collect several others, primarily South Africa Union but gave up due to lack of interest and funds.  I sold most of South Africa (value wise) and looking to get rid of most of the rest too.

I've occasionally thought about other sideline collections but won't ever do it.  First, it will take funds away from my primary collection. Second, I'm not interested in committing noticeable amounts of money (to me) for coins I don't even like that much and likely aren't that marketable. 

There are other coins I wouldn't mind owning as "one offs", but these are more expensive than those in my primary interest and above the financial level I collect: English medieval gold noble, US Assay Office $20, a few ancients (First Jewish Revolt) are examples