• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, tj96 said:

I know how much you like the Jefferson nickels.  Do you have the Westward Journey series?

I have the set in a book of circulated coins but only a few in graded slabs so far. The NGC Registry requires the complete set of 12 so it is still a work in progress. 

On 2/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I have the set in a book of circulated coins but only a few in graded slabs so far. The NGC Registry requires the complete set of 12 so it is still a work in progress. 

Oh, right.  Thanks!

84 years of nickels is a very large quest for collecting. Your nickel set is looking great.

I am sending in a group of clad dimes next month to NGC. The prices for most on the bay are too high for realized value. 

I have a large group of nickels saved as well that I can send in to fill many empty spots in our sets.

Stay in the hunt     (thumbsu

On 2/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Six Mile Rick said:

84 years of nickels is a very large quest for collecting. Your nickel set is looking great.

I am sending in a group of clad dimes next month to NGC. The prices for most on the bay are too high for realized value. 

I have a large group of nickels saved as well that I can send in to fill many empty spots in our sets.

Stay in the hunt     (thumbsu

Thanks Rick, Good luck with you admissions. It will be a long road because I am a cheep old SOB . I try to get MS 64 or higher on most of my slabed nickels for under $20 Or at the most 1/3 of NGC or PCGS list price so it takes a lot of shopping. Sometimes I get a crazy deal like I picked up that 89 and some others in my set for $2 and that makes up for the ones I have to pay regular price for. It all works out in the end I guess I just cant afford to many at once. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Six Mile Rick said:

I have a 1976-D NGC MS64 you can have.

LoL That's in my price range . It's really funny how some Nickels are just a low value and others are out of sight. Before 64 are mostly higher and after is lower on quite a few. Then there are those that cost more to slab them than they will ever be worth in my lifetime. But now that I think about it all coins are like that in general. 

Yes most coins are that way. I usually don't submit coins unless I have a couple collectors that are interested in adding to their collection.

Selling a couple high grade coins out of a 100 count submission will usually cover the cost of a large submission. I will end up with a lot of 

low value / just under the good tier coins that simply are hole fillers after all is said and done. The search is fun and I have around 5 years of hoarding

up boxes of U S coins from mint sets and rolls. 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, and $1's. Interested in adding to my clad dime collection so I will be getting a large

submission wrapped up and on the way to NGC this week. If all goes well my nickel hoard will be next. :) 

On 2/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Six Mile Rick said:

Yes most coins are that way. I usually don't submit coins unless I have a couple collectors that are interested in adding to their collection.

Selling a couple high grade coins out of a 100 count submission will usually cover the cost of a large submission. I will end up with a lot of 

low value / just under the good tier coins that simply are hole fillers after all is said and done. The search is fun and I have around 5 years of hoarding

up boxes of U S coins from mint sets and rolls. 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, and $1's. Interested in adding to my clad dime collection so I will be getting a large

submission wrapped up and on the way to NGC this week. If all goes well my nickel hoard will be next. :) 

Wow a big batch of coins. Again good luck. I hope you get some winners to cover your costs. Sounds like you have a shop Rick ? I will have to look you up next time I am in Rock Hill.

Edited by J P Mashoke

My office at home is a coin shop :roflmao:

As I got more into coins while running a great house framing business the hobby started to fill every empty hole in my office.

Now I am retiring sorta speak from work at 62 years old and I have all these coins I searched over the past 10 years or more and rat packed. :)

The coins will keep me busy for a while as I do vacations and trips for pleasure. (thumbsu

Spent 2 days going through the clad dimes. Preservation is next --- maybe Wednesday.

It will be a nice day here outside and I do my preservation off the porch out back. Then I will do a double check on all the dimes and reduce the submission.

Close to 350 dimes in the batch for starters. (1968 to 2015) 

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 2/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

My office at home is a coin shop :roflmao:

As I got more into coins while running a great house framing business the hobby started to fill every empty hole in my office.

Now I am retiring sorta speak from work at 62 years old and I have all these coins I searched over the past 10 years or more and rat packed. :)

The coins will keep me busy for a while as I do vacations and trips for pleasure. (thumbsu

Spent 2 days going through the clad dimes. Preservation is next --- maybe Wednesday.

It will be a nice day here outside and I do my preservation off the porch out back. Then I will do a double check on all the dimes and reduce the submission.

Close to 350 dimes in the batch for starters. (1968 to 2015) 

Ya I think it happens to most of us. In the beginning I only want to save a little of this and maybe a few of those maybe one or two of that . LoL When I started the nickels it was just the war set short and sweet. Now I am working on the full set the other day you said something about 84 years of coins. Well the full Nickel set is over 200 coins and the full set with proofs is almost 300 coins so I may be at this for a while and I may need more room and money if I keep going.:whatthe:

The clad dimes that were saved were full torch or 67 and better. The nickels have a full step and 67 or better as well.

There is no telling how many mint sets and rolls I bought and traded for over 10 years but the boxes are slam full of goods!! :)

No one else here understands or will be able to do anything with those coins I saved in that chest.

Time for me to finish a long time quest and clean it up. (thumbsu

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 2/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Ya I think it happens to most of us. In the beginning I only want to save a little of this and maybe a few of those maybe one or two of that . LoL When I started the nickels it was just the war set short and sweet. Now I am working on the full set the other day you said something about 84 years of coins. Well the full Nickel set is over 200 coins and the full set with proofs is almost 300 coins so I may be at this for a while and I may need more room and money if I keep going.:whatthe:

84 years ===== how many years we have been using Jefferson nickels ^^

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 2/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

No one else here understands or will be able to do anything with those coins I saved in that chest.

Time for me to finish a long time quest and clean it up. (thumbsu

Well , I agree but would be willing to try 😂.  Any” leftovers “ I would gladly help out with 👍🏼  
Congradulations, retirement can get pretty busy, but that’s when I got out the boxes and went through many years of stashing away. It’s great fun and can get a little emotional walking down memory lane. 
I found a fair amount of YN giveaway coins. Keep the hobby growing 😉