• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are 2021 Morgan and Peace design dollars part of the series?

18 posts in this topic

Several posts have appeared wondering for the 2021 0.999 silver dollars are part of the regular Morgan and Peace dollar series. While each collector has to decide that based on his/her own collecting strategy, and enjoyment, here are my thoughts.

All of the US coin we collect were accounted for as normal coinage - this includes proofs, which were included in normal production quantities. The only "coin-like" items excluded are patterns and related novodels, experimental pieces and other Mint personal property. The question, then, is: "Are the 2021 fine silver dollars included in normal coinage totals for the year?"

If "Yes," then they are part of the series, merely in a different alloy. (This is analogous to 1964 vs 1965 quarters, etc. where there was a change in alloy.)

If "No," then they are not part of the series regardless of design or denomination name. (This is analogous to 3-cent silver vs 3-cent CuNi coins.)

What do others think?

Are they striking regular business strikes and proof ASEs in 2021 and 2022 ?

I'm not sure if a coin struck in 2021 -- 100/80-something years after last being struck -- count as part of a "series."  At least the Morgan Dollar had a gap of only 17 years from 1904 vs. 1921.

Would the MCMXII 2009 UHR count as part of a Saint registry set ?

Legally they are a continuation of the original series. At least that was the justification for being able to mint them. 

The metal content change does not bother me. Fineness adjustments have been made to coins since the beginning of coins. I view the change here similar to your 1964/1965 quarter example. Whereas the 3c series had an alloy change, size change, and design change, so clearly a different series. 

These must be included in the normal coinage totals. They are legitimate coins regardless of their likelihood of circulating. 

Even though legally they are a continuation of the original series, I would not personally include them if I collected them. The main difference to me is the release and intent of them. The original Morgan/Peace dollars were intended to circulate and available for face value. There is no intent that these circulate and they are only available for a premium price. Therefore, they are commemoratives to me.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, gmarguli said:

These must be included in the normal coinage totals. They are legitimate coins regardless of their likelihood of circulating. 

The US Mint documents do not seem to treat them as normal coins...or have I missed something?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC sorts them within the category of Anniversary Coins and Medals, and that's where you'll find them in the Census.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:42 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I only bought 3 (P), (CC) (Peace) and all turned MS 70. 

Did they turn in the holders or before you sent them off. Toning; PVC; crud; "milk" spots; 1804 dollars -- they turned into different grade in the holders, too.

:)

No, they are absolutely not part of the series. No more so than the gold dime, quarter, and half were a couple of years ago. 

Collectors of the series might buy one as an interesting trinket to expand the collection, in the same way they might buy a GSA. 

On 2/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

trinket

Ahhhh...the key word as "thus spake Zarathustra."

On 2/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Collectors of the series might buy one as an interesting trinket to expand the collection, in the same way they might buy a GSA. 

I don't collect the series, but I thought many Morgan collectors target GSA.  Is that not accurate?  

Since I don't collect the series, I should not have a vote in the "include 2021>> vs not" debate. 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Since the 2021’s were authorized by legislation, they COULD BE commemoratives. Since the 2016 gold pieces were NOT authorized by legislation other than the blanket authorization for bullion coins, they are strictly bullion and nothing more. The 2021 silver pieces could be either, but not the 2016 gold. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I don't collect the series, but I thought many Morgan collectors target GSA.  Is that not accurate?  

Since I don't collect the series, I should not have a vote in the "include 2021>> vs not" debate. 

Everyone gets to vote !

On 2/23/2022 at 9:43 AM, RWB said:

Everyone gets to vote !

Will the Red Book add a new section? “Really Dumb Junk”?

Okay - since I get a vote... I vote that 2021 was a Commemorative of the 1921 transition from Morgan to Peace.  I vote all 2022 and beyond to be more of a bullion series.  But, not my area of focus.(shrug)

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 2/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Sure, many people focus on GSAs. Many people also focus on commemorative medals, tokens, and trinkets. That's not to say that's a bad thing, collect what you want. What I'm saying is, you can have a perfectly complete collection without a GSA - but you might buy one as an interesting side note for its history, or to expand the story of your collection. Same with these things. 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:07 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Sure, many people focus on GSAs. Many people also focus on commemorative medals, tokens, and trinkets. That's not to say that's a bad thing, collect what you want. What I'm saying is, you can have a perfectly complete collection without a GSA - but you might buy one as an interesting side note for its history, or to expand the story of your collection. Same with these things. 

Agreed. GSA is not a separate anything. Historically interesting, but that’s all.