• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 D wheat penny oddity
1 1

15 posts in this topic

The line is melted into the T in trust and other oddities. What would this be called or considered. Is it mint mistake or environmental? Thank you for all your help.

20220219_105803~2.jpg

20220219_105851~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220219-114059.png

Edited by Deana2874
Picture added

That is known as PMD, Post Minting Damage.

Anything that happens to a coin after it is ejected from the striking chamber is considered damage.

Your cent has taken numerous hits including the rim above the “T” that has pushed the metal down into the T.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, Deana2874 said:

People don't seem to be very friendly on this site. I thought this was to help beginners like me?

We ae somewhat weird.  ;)   What you have is a normal coin that has been beat up during its travels in circulation.   Coins get used for lots of proposes other than to buy things, many are at times used as tool, say you need to screw in a slot head screw but do not have a screwdriver.   The penny comes to the rescue and does the job, however copper is very soft and can be easily damaged when used (or abused) in such a manor.    This one looks to have spent some time in a parking lot, run over by cars and carts which has damaged the coin and left it with many scrapes and cuts.   All of these damage is covered under the blanket term PMD (post mint damage), the coin did not leave the mint looking like this.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Deana2874 said:

So the melted line into the T on trust is coin abuse??

The rim is not melted. It's smashed. This looks like a parking lot coin, in that it got stepped on or run over while laying around a parking lot. Especially the weight of shoes and tires running over it, pressing it into the small rocks in the blacktop and scraping it, does stuff like this to a coin. I do not believe it was deliberate abuse, just happened. Probably no one who contributed to this mess was aware they were doing it.

As for unfriendliness, I'm not sure what you're seeing that would warrant that claim. You had your first reply within minutes, albeit not a very illuminating one, and no one has spoken abusively to you. You asked a question and have received polite answers. If that's unfriendliness, then I'm not sure what can be done.

@Deana2874, Hi and welcome, your coin has been damaged and abused after it left the mint. One of the things I ask myself when I look at coin like this is; How can this happen at the mint? The coin you showed (with very nice pics I might add) has damage that would not happen with in the press.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:17 PM, JKK said:

The rim is not melted. It's smashed. This looks like a parking lot coin, in that it got stepped on or run over while laying around a parking lot. Especially the weight of shoes and tires running over it, pressing it into the small rocks in the blacktop and scraping it, does stuff like this to a coin. I do not believe it was deliberate abuse, just happened. Probably no one who contributed to this mess was aware they were doing it.

As for unfriendliness, I'm not sure what you're seeing that would warrant that claim. You had your first reply within minutes, albeit not a very illuminating one, and no one has spoken abusively to you. You asked a question and have received polite answers. If that's unfriendliness, then I'm not sure what can be done.

Well the reason I said that is because this isn't my first post. My first post immediately got a whatever you call it remark too. My 14 year old daughter saw the flaw/abuse as I'm teaching her to collect as well as myself in honor of her father that passed away and I know absolutely NOTHING about coins. So kindness can go a long way. Thank you everyone for your response and info. Maybe this just isn't for us after all.

Edited by Deana2874

Deanna I was the first to respond sorry to be terse. We see a lot of damaged coins and so many it becomes somewhat not exciting. We aren’t a bunch of crabby old people. Welcome to the coin forum and please continue to post questions here. Your photos are adequate as is your question.