• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting toning on a 1962 proof nickel

9 posts in this topic

I was breaking up a 62 proof set to get to a cameo in the bunch. The soft pack had yellowed pretty significantly, yet luckily only the nickel had any effect. I have never seen toning like this and thought it was interesting. Not that I think pea green adds eye appeal more a curiosity. 

Has anyone else seen this same ugly from a proof soft pack?

707B03DB-0C06-4A3B-A989-96D6EF5134F7.jpeg

3D8D1654-8AB0-46FC-8FBB-2A0D4E76217B.jpeg

On 2/18/2022 at 9:39 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Have you had success dipping nickels?  I have always been leery due to the copper content.

I have not tried dipping a nickel, proof or business strike.   However, I have seen a few before/after photos posted on various forums in past years so I know it can be done, I assume the dip must be highly diluted, but again I've never tried it myself.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:39 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Have you had success dipping nickels?  I have always been leery due to the copper content.

I dipped one recently with good success. It had some Haze and it took it off. I wouldn’t be at all surprised it it returned in the near future, but for now it looks good. I do use my own home brew dip but it isn’t a lot different than the others. I copied a recipe from a museum curator that they use but it does the same thing. 

On 2/19/2022 at 5:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

I have not tried dipping a nickel, proof or business strike.   However, I have seen a few before/after photos posted on various forums in past years so I know it can be done, I assume the dip must be highly diluted, but again I've never tried it myself.

Nickels seem to be the easiest to dip. Unlike silver or other clad it seems almost impossible to over bake them. I don’t make it a standard practice to dip many but I would hesitate the least on nickels. They almost seem Impervious. Now I’m sure if left in for 15 mins it would be a different story. But within reason they take it like a champ.