• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982-P Zinc Large Date Lincoln Cent
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, tj96 said:

I broke this guy out, then had him locked back up!  :bigsmile:

S20160521_001.jpg

S20170119_001.jpg

S20170119_003.jpg

Why ANACS? You know whose board this is, right?

On 2/22/2022 at 9:38 PM, VKurtB said:

Why ANACS? You know whose board this is, right?

Because I'm not a key player.  ANACS is fine for me.  I don't submit a lot of coins.  When I do, I use their specials.  I test my non-professional grading skills with them. 

Yes I know, it's PCGS's board......................right?   :roflmao: 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:33 PM, tj96 said:

Because I'm not a key player.  ANACS is fine for me.  I don't submit a lot of coins.  When I do, I use their specials.  I test my non-professional grading skills with them. 

I’m always going to be among those who only trust the big 2 when it comes to very high grades. 

On 2/22/2022 at 10:33 PM, tj96 said:

I haven't done the pricing differences between ANACS and the top 2 for your coin, but assuming it would grade the same, your probably leaving money on the table if you want to sell.  The market has already built potential over grading into the prices. Saving a few bucks by using ANACS my be penny wise but pound foolish

Regardless, what you do is your choice and as long as you're aware of the potential downside and happy with your decision, no problem.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:28 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I haven't done the pricing differences between ANACS and the top 2 for your coin, but assuming it would grade the same, your probably leaving money on the table if you want to sell.  The market has already built potential over grading into the prices. Saving a few bucks by using ANACS my be penny wise but pound foolish

Regardless, what you do is your choice and as long as you're aware of the potential downside and happy with your decision, no problem.

Yes fortunately or unfortunately, I'm aware of the up and down side regarding this venture.

This coin hobby thing has never been about saving or investment for me.  I would never put the words "coins" and "future investment" in the same sentence. If I had to make a living at this, I would have starved to death years ago!  :bigsmile:  Unless you're a professional coin dealer, I'd say forget it. 

I would even take this a step further by saying; the vast majority of the "major players" (the experts) in this entire numismatic community...... the guys who write the books, magazines, manufacture and produce the coin products (Whitman, etc..), the TPG'er owners/management/employees or even government employees working at the Mints DON'T invest in coins!  Indirectly, I would say they are all making a living from/off coins............thanks to us! :bigsmile:

Edited by tj96

On 2/23/2022 at 10:31 AM, tj96 said:

Yes fortunately or unfortunately, I'm aware of the up and down side regarding this venture.

This coin hobby thing has never been about saving or investment for me.  I would never put the words "coins" and "future investment" in the same sentence. If I had to make a living at this, I would have starved to death years ago!  :bigsmile:  Unless you're a professional coin dealer, I'd say forget it. 

I would even take this a step further by saying; the vast majority of the "major players" (the experts) in this entire numismatic community...... the guys who write the books, magazines, manufacture and produce the coin products (Whitman, etc..), the TPG'er owners/management/employees or even government employees working at the Mints DON'T invest in coins!  Indirectly, I would say they are all making a living from/off coins............thanks to us! :bigsmile:

...mostly correct, but there r a few long, long term collectors that also have coin portfolios...its the same as anything else u need to buy the right stuff at the right time....my long term coin collection is bout +4% per annum, my misc stuff i just like is prob -15% overall, however my investment stuff is +4500%.....and exceeds my deferred comp portfolio by multiples.....

On 2/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, tj96 said:

But after all, your eye DID catch a “redonkulously” mark-free example anyway. Niiiice. 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, zadok said:

...mostly correct, but there r a few long, long term collectors that also have coin portfolios...its the same as anything else u need to buy the right stuff at the right time....my long term coin collection is bout +4% per annum, my misc stuff i just like is prob -15% overall, however my investment stuff is +4500%.....and exceeds my deferred comp portfolio by multiples.....

Yes absolutely, if you know what you're doing no problem.  However, I've never met a financial advisor that said:..  Add coins to your portfolio!  :grin:

On 2/23/2022 at 10:28 AM, zadok said:

Cool performance! I am fortunate enough to have a defined benefit old-school pension. Not only didn’t I HAVE TO make decisions about my retirement funds, I wasn’t ALLOWED TO. The best part? I don’t have to be audio and video assaulted by some butt-stupid ads from Rosland Capital’s shill. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, Alex in PA. said:

But, but doesn't William Devane have a right to a job too?  :roflmao:

You mean the guy who never really did serve at all but wraps himself in military schmaltz? That guy? Yeah. He was too busy at the Juliard School of Performing Arts in NYC. 

On 2/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, tj96 said:

Yes absolutely, if you know what you're doing no problem.  However, I've never met a financial advisor that said:..  Add coins to your portfolio!  :grin:

That’s because there are none. None worth listening to, at least. The best you’ll find is “gee, maybe you shoulda bought gold a year ago.”

On 2/23/2022 at 2:28 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Or like I did.  Pre 9-11 gold.

Most of my gold purchases were mid-1990’s, when gold was struggling to get within sniffing distance of $300 per Troy ounce. I sold it all in summer of 2011. I only kept pieces of sentimental value or family history.