• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone on or around Memphis? Going to the Memphis yearly show this weekend?

16 posts in this topic

I am going to be at the Memphis coin club show this weekend, and if anyone from here happens to be around stop and say hi. I don’t think many members are from the area other than me and Justbob, but I could be wrong. Would love to put a face to a screen name if you do go. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:23 AM, Woods020 said:

I am going to be at the Memphis coin club show this weekend, and if anyone from here happens to be around stop and say hi. I don’t think many members are from the area other than me and Justbob, but I could be wrong. Would love to put a face to a screen name if you do go. 

Dang looks like I will miss that one also. I won't be down that way for 3 or more weeks.

Well it won’t go well this weekend. I got the dates mixed up. I’m doing something for the day job this weekend. The fun business is next weekend. 

What I am looking most forward to is I’ve conned my daughter into being my booth helper. So that will be fun. She could care less about coins but she will love chatting up all the old boring coin guys. 

On 2/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Was just wondering the same.  Hopefully, some good collectors, dealers and coins at the show.

Sorry I have been sidetracked. The show was good. It was a regional show, so roughly 40-50 vendors set up. Lots of the regulars in this part of the country. Traffic was good, but sales were so so. That was the general consensus amongst dealers. Lots of tire kickers. I think I sold right around $20k, and I only stayed Friday and Saturday. A lot of that was two coins coupled with a ton of $50-$100 sales. I did better buying in my opinion. I was able to stock up on quite a bit at a reasonable price from other dealers. The highlight of the show to me was I bought a 1934S peace dollar in MS63 from a local club guy that had a table for $4700. I flipped it later the same day for $5850. I’ll walk over to the next aisle and back for $1150 any day 😂

On 3/1/2022 at 7:37 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I am in the northeast currently, but I have moved around some with work.  I probably have one move left in me... 

I feel your pain. I’ve been a nomad for work as well. I left the east coast not too long ago…..thankfully 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, Coinbuf said:

Sounds like you did well, did your daughter enjoy her duties that the show?

She had a blast. And I’ll tell you she was my secret weapon. She would simply smile and say hello to anyone coming by. Those that had head down or focused on something else then stopped to say hi and look. 

Her biggest observation after the show was “dad, does every collector have a story about each of their coins? Because everybody I talked to told me a long story about this one coin in their collection”. I just laughed and said yeah, for the most part collectors like stories.