• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ultimate research library for US coins? What is your opinion
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I am trying to really build up my research library and would love everyone’s opinion on what the quintessential library would entail. Again this is focused on US coins. I think many people would benefit from knowing the  best resources out there, and admittedly for several series I haven’t had interest in I don’t know the best resource. So let’s hear your thoughts. 

Tell the series and book. For example 

Bust Halves - Overton…

On 2/16/2022 at 10:55 PM, Woods020 said:

I actually just found a thread ATS that had exactly this. I just ordered 6 resource books from this list and ATS. 

Here is the URL: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties.

It's a good collection of books and I'm glad they kept it at the top of the page. There are a few out-of-date dogs, but most of the books listed from the past 20-30 years are good references. (The Breen Encyclopedia was once a great reference, but modern research has shown that it is filled with false, inaccurate and invented material. A reader has to be proficient in American numismatics to separate the good bits from the garbage and Breen's lies.)

On 2/17/2022 at 9:43 AM, RWB said:

Here is the URL: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties.

It's a good collection of books and I'm glad they kept it at the top of the page. There are a few out-of-date dogs, but most of the books listed from the past 20-30 years are good references. (The Breen Encyclopedia was once a great reference, but modern research has shown that it is filled with false, inaccurate and invented material. A reader has to be proficient in American numismatics to separate the good bits from the garbage and Breen's lies.)

Agreed. This would be a great sticky to add to the NGC site. It is hard to know the best resources across all of the various series, and it is nice to see a list. I would even condense it and make it easier to read bulleted points if someone knows how to get it pinned.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:12 PM, Woods020 said:

if someone knows how to get it pinned.

Check with a local college sorority....

Half Cents:

#1 Eckberg - The Half Cent 1793-1857: The Story of Americas Greatest Little Coin -  This book is well written and works to provide an overview of the coin's history, and makes use of panoramic edge photography and red/blue visual overlays to show die varieties.  This book has full color photos, and it's a great read.  The "eye candy" sections are particularly "drool-worthy" - showing the finest examples known.  

#2 Manley - Half Cent Die States - This is a comprehensive book of Half Cent Die Varieties and States.  By many, this is considered THE book.  This book has more comprehensive information than Fuhrman  (listed below), however, the photos are black and white and I find Fuhrman's series to be better for quick diagnostics.  There is no denying that this is a great book though!

#3 Fuhrman The Half Cent Handbook (Series) - This book is more for quick diagnostics of Die Varieties and Die States.  Very photo heavy with LOTS of great color photo representations for each variety (obverse and reverse) and state.  This series is my go-to "lap dog" when hunting coins online. (this is a series... Draped bust is ones book, Classic Head and Braided Hair are another (other volumes will also be released)

Early Copper Coins

Eckberg, Fagaly, Fuoss and Williams - Grading Guide for Early American Copper Coins - This book is choc full of color photos and is really a must have for anyone who wants to get into Early American Copper (EAC) coins.  EAC's grading is quite a bit different than today's TPG grading.  If you are unfamiliar with EAC's Net Grading, this book breaks it down

On 2/16/2022 at 12:20 AM, Woods020 said:

am trying to really build up my research library and would love everyone’s opinion on what the quintessential library would entail

You have to include my new publication. I have no doubt it will add value to your library collection.  I have just published and labeled it; "The 5 most valuable dug coins while metal detecting North Georgia; The story of the ED zinc Lincoln, worthless and useless since dropped".  

Ok... I am done now. My wife just read this and said."STOP.... you are making a fool of yourself...... your C meds are kicking in.....".  If I am banned from this forum I completely understand. I definitely need to go to bed now.

I am just kidding with you Woods, obviously.  You know I am a serious collector by ALL means.  I wish you the absolute best in your endeavors with your collection my friend!    

On 2/18/2022 at 5:03 PM, Lem E said:

Not that I have ever seen. Mine is a paperback. I never really looked that hard though.

I ordered one after Lem suggested and I could only find it in paperback. I looked for a hard cover and didn’t see any. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

So far as I know there never was a hardcover edition of that book. My copy is the softcover.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:18 AM, GBrad said:

You have to include my new publication. I have no doubt it will add value to your library collection.  I have just published and labeled it; "The 5 most valuable dug coins while metal detecting North Georgia; The story of the ED zinc Lincoln, worthless and useless since dropped".  

Ok... I am done now. My wife just read this and said."STOP.... you are making a fool of yourself...... your C meds are kicking in.....".  If I am banned from this forum I completely understand. I definitely need to go to bed now.

I am just kidding with you Woods, obviously.  You know I am a serious collector by ALL means.  I wish you the absolute best in your endeavors with your collection my friend!    

I am ordering three copies of this. One for me, one to pass on with my collection, and one for the next person tht thinks they know more then others here because u-tube said so. I was going to get @VanKurt a copy for his birthday too.

I will be more than honored to put my autograph on them for you @Rummy13... But I can only assume that my friend @VKurtB would probably use the pages of the book as kindling to start a fire....  I LMBO at your comment.  That was good. I needed that this afternoon!(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad

On 2/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Half Cents:

#1 Eckberg - The Half Cent 1793-1857: The Story of Americas Greatest Little Coin -  This book is well written and works to provide an overview of the coin's history, and makes use of panoramic edge photography and red/blue visual overlays to show die varieties.  This book has full color photos, and it's a great read.  The "eye candy" sections are particularly "drool-worthy" - showing the finest examples known.  

#2 Manley - Half Cent Die States - This is a comprehensive book of Half Cent Die Varieties and States.  By many, this is considered THE book.  This book has more comprehensive information than Fuhrman  (listed below), however, the photos are black and white and I find Fuhrman's series to be better for quick diagnostics.  There is no denying that this is a great book though!

#3 Fuhrman The Half Cent Handbook (Series) - This book is more for quick diagnostics of Die Varieties and Die States.  Very photo heavy with LOTS of great color photo representations for each variety (obverse and reverse) and state.  This series is my go-to "lap dog" when hunting coins online. (this is a series... Draped bust is ones book, Classic Head and Braided Hair are another (other volumes will also be released)

Early Copper Coins

Eckberg, Fagaly, Fuoss and Williams - Grading Guide for Early American Copper Coins - This book is choc full of color photos and is really a must have for anyone who wants to get into Early American Copper (EAC) coins.  EAC's grading is quite a bit different than today's TPG grading.  If you are unfamiliar with EAC's Net Grading, this book breaks it down

I just bought the three volumes of the series by noyer on large cents. I’ll look for the half cent books soon. 

Edited by Woods020

I have both #1 and #2. William Eckberg's book is the better written, but is not intended as deep dive into die varieties.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

To reinforce what Roger wrote, the Eckberg book is certainly more entertaining and ideal for an introduction to the series. Manley is a technical book, with illustrations of the progressive die states for each die marriage. It's the book I use for attributing half cents by Cohen numbers at NGC. The only flaw with it is that the binding is poor, and the pages can drop out like leaves. I ended up disassembling my copy completely and coil binding it at the office.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:36 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Half Cents:

Early Copper Coins

That are nice ones! I have read every one, and my favorite is the third one. I hope the author of this thread will share his library as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there are not many sources with related information on this theme, so I hope to find something interesting. As a student, it always was a big challenge to find needed info, but then I found this source (click to read more) where I could choose the best source for my writing tasks. Most of the information I got from education was from such sites. So I believe that this library will be a successful one.

Edited by purecentury

Proofs 1936-1942-

United States Proof Coins 1936-1942 by Roger Burdette. It is the authoritative reference and a must read for anyone interested in the series. 

Patterns- The Whitman Judd book, preferably the 10th edition as I think it is most recent. The Pollock books likewise cover the same info.