• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Peace 1927S coin

9 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, ldhall said:

Is that toning, carbon or what on front of coin ? 

v/r

s-l1600.jpeg

s-l1600 (1).jpeg

Yes. All of the above, probably. 1927’s are frequently “funky”. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/13/2022 at 11:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes. All of the above, probably. 1927’s are frequently “funky”. 

Yes the VKurt is correct.. there are a couple of different dates in the peace series that can get this distracting look to them.  nothing worng with them that is just how they are.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Of all the Silver Dollars ever created; I believe the US Peace Dollar to be the ugliest.  Just my opinion.    :slapfight:

I agree Alex. I never liked the scary looking liberty lady. She just looks like she is mad at someone.

Edited by J P Mashoke

De Francisci was being "supervised" by Jim Fraser, and they were told to use Saint-Gaudens' "Nike Erini" bust as the model. This is the same as used on the 1907 plaster cent models and eventually on the 1907 $10 Eagles. The portrait actually originated as the head of Liberty for the Sherman Memorial in New York, the figure of which was used on the 1907 Double Eagle. The living model for all was Hettie Anderson, a beautiful mixed-race woman from South Carolina.

Edited by RWB