• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profile Coin Photos
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, RWB said:

Many don't care to publicize their holdings, and consider "register sets" and similar things boastful.

This. Plus… I spent 30+ years of my life in photography and I am a perfectionist about it. I am not satisfied with the quality of numismatic photos. As in nearly none of them. 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:39 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Why are there so many members who don’t have any photos posted of their coins? It’s very simple. Take a photo with your smart phone and upload it!

That way we can see your treasures of the realm.

If smartphone photos are good enough for YOU, that’s nice. They are not even CLOSE to good enough for me. 

On 2/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

A smartphone photo is better than no photo. I’m not selling anything here so why would I want gallery photo quality ? As Confucius once stated: “One picture worth 1,000 words.”

Unless one prefers to write. Besides, I disagree with your premise. Bad photos are worse than no photos. Photos can tell lies. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Take a photo with your smart phone and upload it!

:(  geesh  i still use a flip.. i can talk like a phone is supposed to do and i can get texts.. after that i work 10 hours aday in computers do you think i want one on my face all night long..........as for taking pictures of my coins do you think that i would let anyone know what is under the mattress? its hard enough for the people i work with thta know i collect to look at every piece of change they get from the dsoda machine...........do  you think i want them to know howmuch money i laid out for a cent or nickle or dollar?

On 2/14/2022 at 8:06 AM, JT2 said:

:(  geesh  i still use a flip.. i can talk like a phone is supposed to do and i can get texts.. after that i work 10 hours aday in computers do you think i want one on my face all night long..........as for taking pictures of my coins do you think that i would let anyone know what is under the mattress? its hard enough for the people i work with thta know i collect to look at every piece of change they get from the dsoda machine...........do  you think i want them to know howmuch money i laid out for a cent or nickle or dollar?

We must be the last two....$1,000+ for a stupid phone that is perpetually pestering you? Ridiculous.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:46 AM, RWB said:

We must be the last two....$1,000+ for a stupid phone that is perpetually pestering you? Ridiculous.

The problems are fundamental and insurmountable: keyboard inconveniently small, screen inconveniently small. On top of that, you can't just hang it off your shirt and go on speaker. It's wear a headset or hold the SOB up with your hand. I have one (I was third to last), mainly because flips were so expensive and a very stupid handyman managed to drop my last flip into a pan of water. However, I do not fundamentally like the modern phone. There is so much to hate about it (I refuse to use the s-word because that just feeds into the marketing gimmick; it's no smarter than any other damn piece of electronic equipment).

So what drove me to buy one? One, I wanted the ability to block unwanted calls. (NOT "spam" calls. Spam is undesired mass email. People have forgotten that.) Two, there are now and then times when it's handy to be able to look something up while out and about, or sitting at the TV. Three, it enables me to set up video recording on short notice, such as if stopped by the police. Four, as dinky and inconvenient as it is, when stuck somewhere waiting for this or that (doctor's appointment, car repair, take-out order), it does offer games and newsreading that, pathetic as they are on this tiny little thing, beat all hell out of 2019 copies of People or Motor Trend for short-term entertainment.

So I have it. But I hate it. I hate even worse that mine constantly finds little ways to try and shove Google down my throat. I now see how the data hydra has survived the desktop PC era: between getting you to use logins and passwords on a laptop and for the same things on your phone (Gmail, Faceplant, etc.), once the camel's nose is under the tent, there's nothing to prevent a complete dossier. Evidently most people don't care about that. I do. And while I can't stop it, I can refuse to just bend over for it. I can refuse to make it easier for them. So the rule on my phone is simple: Nothing Requiring Login. No bank, no email, no brokerage, no nothing, don't care, don't want, won't do, forget it.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:38 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Well, there ARE other ways to get a photo of your coin on this site.  If photos were such a bad thing, we would all be gathered around an RCA Radio. 

But only AM if Sarnoff had his way.... :)

On 2/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

As Confucius once stated: “One picture worth 1,000 words.”

Actually, it was Fred Barnard who coined the phrase in 1921, just a little after Confucius' time.  But Confucius did say "he who goes to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger", so there's that.  

Edited by Morpheus1967

On 2/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Maybe because SOME of them don't have the coin, don't know how to post a pic or are just trolling.  Hmm?  :preach:

I know a few people believe it or not that don't have smart phones yet.  When they take pics they can't even forward them.  There can't be that many out there still...right?

Or if in a holder you can always use the paintbrush app to hide the cert # if that is the fear.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, DWLange said:

I think more people should use old coin boards...just sayin'

I have never tried making a phone call on an old coin board, but will try at the next opportunity.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Well, there ARE other ways to get a photo of your coin on this site.  If photos were such a bad thing, we would all be gathered around an RCA Radio. 

Who says we’re not? Look, OP, I have the phone I want, and can use right now (physical disability), it’s a current Apple model still being sold, and it takes virtually USELESS coin photos. I will NEVER spend nearly a thousand  on a stupid phone. I do however own literally hundreds of cameras. Most use film. Remember film? “There Goes Rhymin’ Simon” “Kodachrome”? Gives us those nice bright colors, gives us the greens of summer… Well, it’s gone, and I’m still hacked off about it, see? But there still is Fujichrome and Pro Ektachrome, and I do shoot those. I also do shoot digital for the ANA and you MAY have seen my photos in The Numismatist. I also shoot digital for dealer badges at ANA conventions. Do stop by and say hello.

I do shoot digital photomicrographs with my OPTICAL (no USB) stereo microscope. But the field size maxes out at about an inch, not gonna make it shooting halves and crown size. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/23/2022 at 9:52 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

From 2008 on, NGC has taken photos of every coin they grade. Front and back. All one has to do is click the photo icon and bam, it's there when they add a coin. 

Dude! :insane:

Honestly most NGC photos aren’t all that good. I have looked at some that I couldn’t hardly identify the coin. I have pics on most of mine, but I see no need to have them. 

I own over 110,000 coins, and I have photographed maybe 7 or 8.