• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whizzed/Rim Damage/Corrosion/Environmental Damage/Improperly Cleaned/Scratches
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

Within the last year or so, I've picked up my Boyhood obsession with coins and started buying NGC Graded coins. 

I dont buy any coins that arent NGC and I have recently been a little nervous that the "Deals" I thought I was getting are really just going to be biting me in the butt. 

I've purchase a few coins that are graded by NGC (AU,XF,VF) but they also come with the Details of Whizzed/Rim Damage/Corrosion/Environmental Damage/Improperly Cleaned/Scratches. 

My Question is, how do these details affect the value of the coins and does the Grade factor in the details or are they even less valuable than the grade is listed? 

Thanks for all who respond. 

Thanks Coinbuf, Some of these that I've collected was to own it for the historical significance with hopes that when I'm dead my kids can make a profit if they dont like them xD

I suppose going forward, when looking for investment pieces, stick to no problem coins. 

Dang! Thought I was getting some great deals. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, SirDubre said:

Thanks Bob. 

Just to Clarify, if I bought a AU 55 Whizzed coin, it'd be more likely valued (price wise) like a VF or F?

Correct.

I should also add that some series fare better when it comes to certain types of damage. A 1793 chain cent that was dug from the ground and labeled "Environmental Damage" would retain much more of its value than an Indian cent with the same type of damage. LIkewise, cleaning coins was acceptable, even sometimes encouraged, in the not-too-distant past. It is not unusual to find Seated Liberty or Barber coins that have been lightly wiped or dipped in jewelry cleaner. Some collectors are a bit more forgiving in these situations, but most people these days want "original surfaces."

On 2/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, ronnie stein said:

Mine have never been returned with a numerical grade. Just AU Whizzed, not AU55 Whizzed, or MS cleaned.

You're right Ronnie. There is no numerical value. Just the AU/XF etc. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, JKK said:

Bargain for them. Brutally. Take advantage of the thing you can control, which is how much you pay for them. There are degrees of cleaning and damage.

I gotta say, I'm not dropping huge amounts but was still thinking I was getting a great value Paying for an AU with a XF price. 

More than likely just paying the value of the coin and not really getting a great bargain. 

Any coin with damage - even on that can be "graded" - is severely discounted on purchase. Such coins do not hold even their depressed value and rarely increase at nearly the rate of undamaged coins. A coin graded "AU damaged" is not worth "EF money" but more like the value of a VF or even F coin.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, SirDubre said:

I gotta say, I'm not dropping huge amounts but was still thinking I was getting a great value Paying for an AU with a XF price. 

More than likely just paying the value of the coin and not really getting a great bargain. 

Next time offer an F price and act like you're being asked to swallow a towel before you go halfway between F and VF. Anyone trying to unload stuff that is certified damaged just wants it to go away. Unless, of course, it's a novice collector who's just trying to recover what he overspent, in which case you won't end up buying his mistake--and that's okay too.

Are there some details that are worse than others? 

I always assumed Whizzed or Improperly Cleaned was worth less than the value than a Rim damage or environmental damaged coin. 

Edited by SirDubre

On 2/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, SirDubre said:

Thanks Coinbuf, Some of these that I've collected was to own it for the historical significance with hopes that when I'm dead my kids can make a profit if they dont like them xD

I suppose going forward, when looking for investment pieces, stick to no problem coins. 

Dang! Thought I was getting some great deals. 

Unless you're a professional numismatist or dealer, I would forget about putting the words investment and coins in the same sentence. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, tj96 said:

Unless you're a professional numismatist or dealer, I would forget about putting the words investment and coins in the same sentence. 

I getcha. 
I love the coins for the historical value. Was just hoping, in addition to owning history, I was also leaving something of value to my kids. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, SirDubre said:

I getcha. 
I love the coins for the historical value. Was just hoping, in addition to owning history, I was also leaving something of value to my kids. 

Yes, I'm thinking that's the way most of us think about coin collecting.  I guess that would be 100% profit for the kids!  (thumbsu:banana:

On 2/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, tj96 said:

However, I had a second thought about coins and investing. 

If you're working for and getting paid by NGC or one of the TPG'ers and you're "not" a professional numismatist or dealer, I guess you could put investment and coins in the same sentence.  You're being paid (and maybe investing some of your salary) as a direct result of the coin market.