• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1859 Russia 25 Kopeks
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I am not familiar with Russian coinage or the value, but I do agree this is one very attractive coin. Others will be more help on if it makes sense to slab or not, but however you want to do it this is a keeper to be preserved. 

Very nice EF. The pleasant (JKK says "beautiful") coloring is common on these and others from the period. Many remained in bags and the sulfur from coal burning in St. Petersburg and Moscow created a gentle toning. This makes the intricate obverse designs (or reverse on the ruble) extra attractive. When poured out of a bag, these things glitter like fireflies. Gold from the same period also can have attractive toning, but not as nice as the silver. These run from $40 to $55.

I think that one is supper pretty and would send in. I don’t specialize in Russian coinage but I own several and if

i owned it I would send it in and splurge for some nice images if you can afford.

I think it’s AU58 and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s MS62/3. Toning is semi common but not that nice of toning like this one.

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll send it in and pay for imaging also. I'll be happy if it makes AU58 but due to its reflectivity I think it may be MS and be a weaker strike than others, but we shall see. I'll update here in about 45 days then :)

RWB: interesting stuff! Didn't know that about the coal burning making the toning. 

Not good at grading. But I agree with AU58. The wear is very little but you can clearly see it. It is an absolutely beautiful coin though. Lovely toning. I would be very happy to have one like it in my collection. Good luck on the grade. Hopfully Im wrong and it gets an MS grade. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I see the rub on the high points, but I don't think it's circulated. I think that's poor or negligent storage sometime in the past 170 years. I think we'd see a lot more evidence in the fields in the case of circulation. I do not think 63 is outside the realm of reason.

Man, I know nearly nothing about Russian Empire stuff (I tend to go Soviet when I go Russian), but I think Jonathan is right on about the improper storage causing the rub.  I'd be comfortable with MS 62 or MS 63 for this coin.

I've been looking at this off and on for the past few days and I don't think it makes MS, too much wear on all the high points, and couple good dings on the rev. I also think the images could be hiding some additional wear/scuffing in the fields but it's hard to tell, and that's not a knock on the OP's images, they are actually fantastic. It's  AU58 - 53 for me. The coin is a real looker no matter how you slice it. (thumbsu

Thanks everyone. I have been comparing and comparing to existing coins from AU58 going to MS65. The one thing the photos cannot pick up well is the coin's ability to reflect light. When tilted, it really gives off a shine that only an MS coin would. When I look at various Au58s, they appear dull with the surface lustre not apparent. On this, like others have noticed some of the high points appear worn, and I'm unsure if this is due to a weak strike or improper storage. I have sent the coin to NGC now and very much look forward to seeing the result.

Edited by Tobias J Reily

I don't think there is wear on it. Looks like the highest points aren't fully struck up, which is typical. I'd call it MS62.

As for knowing the grade in 45 days... lol   You're 60+ calendar days from NGC opening the package. Then you're 45 business days for it to be graded. You're 5 months away from a grade. 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:29 AM, Tobias J Reily said:

Is that the turnaround at the moment? I did a submission last year and it took about 50 days. We'll see, hopefully won't be as long as you say.

They post the times on the submission page. They are OPENING packages received the week of November 22nd. That's 2 months ago. Then it is 45 business days for grading. 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:29 AM, Tobias J Reily said:

Is that the turnaround at the moment? I did a submission last year and it took about 50 days. We'll see, hopefully won't be as long as you say.

Yeah, but it will be worth it. Make sure you ask them to image it. I think you'll be happy

On 1/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, coinsarefun said:

Yeah, but it will be worth it. Make sure you ask them to image it. I think you'll be happy

I did yes,  £11 I think it was, and standard grading. Package was signed for yesterday. The toning is super pretty, I'm looking forward to the imaging. 

That is a very nice one for sure. Absolute beauty. When you get it back let us know what the grade is. After hearing the opinions of others I see how it could be MS. Thats why I mentioned Im no expert on grading. Ive still got a whole lot to learn. Im not knocking your coin in no way at all but Im gonna keep my guess of AU58. No offence at all. Its a very nice piece. I hope Im wrong and it makes MS but Im seeing what I think is wear. But as mentioned above that may be from sliding around jn a drawer or case or something and not count aginst it. Thats why Im no grader in no kind of way. 

Ya I am also looking at this a lot and it looks like a lot of the rubbed high spots are just that the toning has wore off more than heavy wear. Mike is correct there are some good looking hits on the back that will knock down the high grade but the feathers. leaves and dental are in pretty good shape . I am going to say it is a MS 60-62 . That's my opinion for what it is worth. 

Impressive photos.

The little 25 kopek is now worth more than a big stack of current rubles....

On 3/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, Tobias J Reily said:

Still waiting on the grade but got the photos from NGC just now. They look great!

Please click the links to see them full size.

https://ibb.co/9ntmYQK
https://ibb.co/SPsmgTW
https://ibb.co/Y066yTk

A beautiful coin regardless of grade 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Tobias J Reily said:

Well there we go. MS64. I am so so delighted with this. For months I've been checking photos, and comparing to similar coins that have been graded. I kept coming to the same conclusion, that this was a weak strike and not AU like the majority of people were saying. Especially after seeing the NGC professional photos. I know we often overgrade our own submissions but in this instance I really thought it was MS63, so to see it has been graded MS64 is really great. In the center of the obverse, on regular and strong strikes there are horizontal lines, and on mine there are none. If the higher points were worn, then why would this 'inset' central design be worn? It just did not make sense. Combined with the fact that the lustre was blazing and completely unbroken. I was worried NGC might just think it was circulation wear and not a weak strike, but they haven't and I think this is completely accurate. Hooray for NGC.

64.jpg

644.jpg

Very nice. Congratulations. That is a stunning coin. 

On 3/25/2022 at 6:57 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice. Congratulations. That is a stunning coin. 

This proves that Roger can’t grade to save his life. “Very nice EF” indeed. And yet you continue to listen to this man. Of course he’ll insist he’s right and NGC is wrong. Doesn’t he always?

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks very much. I suppose with the weak strike it is easy to see it as wear. The problem with photos is you can't always capture the lustre. If it didn't shine so much then I would have thought it low AU or EF too. Looking forward to receiving it back.