• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1899 ?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi Patman!
Well, in looking at your coin, I think it is damage, unfortunately.  If you look closely, you can see how that last 9 is actually somewhat deformed, which indicates to me that it was hit or gouged at some point after it was minted.  If it had been something that was struck into the coin, the last 9 wouldn't be deformed like that.  I could be wrong, but this is what I honestly think in examining the photos.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Patman!
Well, in looking at your coin, I think it is damage, unfortunately.  If you look closely, you can see how that last 9 is actually somewhat deformed, which indicates to me that it was hit or gouged at some point after it was minted.  If it had been something that was struck into the coin, the last 9 wouldn't be deformed like that.  I could be wrong, but this is what I honestly think in examining the photos.

Sorry Patman, I think Mohawk has the floor on this one. It looks like it was hit hard.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, Woods020 said:

I would attribute this to human boredom if I had to guess. 

Human boredom has caused many a strange thing to happen......and not just to coins.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:07 PM, Patman54 said:

10-4 thanks  always appreciated and Is very helpful. I always attribute boredom to laziness doesn't mean that there's nothing to do just means that there's nothing that I want to do.  My kids always loved that one.

No problem, Patman.  Always glad to help out when I can.  One of these days, I'm going to have better news for you, though!

On 1/14/2022 at 7:07 PM, Patman54 said:

I always attribute boredom to laziness doesn't mean that there's nothing to do just means that there's nothing that I want to do.  My kids always loved that one.

I always told my kids that boredom was caused by a lack of imagination. An active imagination will always find something to do.

I thought the very first coin I saw and bought on eBay looked "odd," and due to having no prior internet experience, thought, rather incredibly now that I think of it, that the only way to find out was to buy it.  I outbid 30+ other interested buyers only to find out that that "glint" captured in the accompanying photo appeared to be a glancing blow to the last numeral, just like yours, and was likely caused (in my case) by a sharp instrument. It was a bright, shiny coin which otherwise appeared to be problem-free. And then I submitted it for certification. And it came back AU-58.  I was more curious than disappointed. I quickly concluded there was wear there. Then gold prices shot up (this was a gold coin from Venezuela, not a few people wanted dearly) and I recovered my investment by default. The melt value is worth a lot more than what I paid for it. Imagine that. I deprived some serious collectors the opportunity to own a coin I never really wanted to begin with just to satisfy my curiosity. Unbelievable! I really ought to put it back out there.  :facepalm: