• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying the Error, 1882-CC Morgan

16 posts in this topic

I am hoping someone could help identify the error and the possible value it may give to this 1882-CC Morgan Silver Dollar. I have researched Overstruck, Die Clash, Rotated Die Clash, Rotated Double struck, and more.  The definitions and the available pictures are confusing. The value opinions go from worth nothing to a very valuable coin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

49B210BA-7C50-49F0-80B8-DF9B0FE7A06C.jpeg

746524A4-0B13-4137-B419-BDFD59B7E92F.jpeg

D6F783FE-5579-4717-8D3A-70DF2E4F5EE1.jpeg

Edited by SusanN1665
Correct the pictures and subject line

Hello and welcome!

Please post a pic of the entire coin, front and back, so that members can view the coin in it's entirety.

All I'm seeing currently is damage but I'm terrible with identifying die clashes for some reason. Can you explain what you are seeing a little better, a specific area, etc..

Thank you for responding. I added two more pictures. The coin is dark and it is very difficult to get sharp photos of the error. If you look at the earlobe,  chin and neck, I can’t tell if the die rotated those are curls from the hair or if the “curls” and parts of the wings and arrows from the back. It could be a coin that was pressed with another coin but the marks don’t seem to break through the lines of her face. 

Sorry Susan , I can not see any clash only a lot of damage to the cheek and neck. On the reverse it looks like a Philadelphia coin with some impression's that may look like two C's above the D in Dollar. Without better pictures it will be hard to make a accurate judgment on this Morgan. 

Damaged 1882-P. No "errors." Bullion melt value only.

Members here will help you with honest information. Ignore the on-line videos and frauds like "Etsy" and "Craigs Listing."

Edited by RWB

I'm with everyone else, Susan.  You have a heavily damaged 1882 Philadelphia Morgan that is worth silver bullion value only.  It's not an error nor a CC coin.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:14 AM, SusanN1665 said:

The CC on the back is very faint, I can’t get a good picture of it.

When it's that faint, sorry, but it's not actually there. Something that looks like it might be there, but it's not the Carson City mint mark. That would be impossible to miss. It's just an 1882 Morgan with good detail and what looks like a worn and scratched obverse.

I am constrained to agree.  It is a shame, there are members -- myself included -- who have consigned this coin to the same category (silver melt) as those, on another thread, that were absolutely gorgeous, but cleaned. A real crying shame.

Yes Susan, it has a lot of marks and we have seen many a coin newer than this one with a lot of damage. It is 140 years old. I should look so good at that age. It is still silver and worth its weight, so not a total loss. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:23 AM, SusanN1665 said:

Thanks! Just disappointed and very true we all should look as good 😀

At 66, I’m not sure I have that 140 year old covered.