• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kennedy sms halfs

43 posts in this topic

Off topic.  Skip this if you're looking for 64SMS stuff

On 1/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Speaking of traffic accidents i probably seen 100 to 150 today. No kidding. This winter storm hitting us is horrible. Its only a 2 1/2 hour trip to where we come from and I just now made it home. We left at 9:30 this morning and its 6:40 now. We got behind that 50 car pileup on I64 in Ky. Was trapped there for a couple hours. Was almost in it. Sadly 5 or 6 lost their lives in it that I know of. Maybe more. Almost got hit on I75 right before they shut it down. This been one of the worst trips I ever been on. Luckily all our crew and I made it home safe. Ive never seen so many crashes in my whole life combined as what I seen today. There was vechicles sitting everywhere over in the ditches. We even seen a few crashes happen. I just hope the best that everyone gets where they are going safely. 

I'm from the northeast and have spent more than enough time driving through lake effect snow in northern OH and Western NY.  It never gets easy.  You just need to develop the skill set to drive in it, which is harder for you in Kentucky since you don't get as many opportunities to practice :ohnoez: You also need to make good judgements about when to drive and when to pull off the road.  How do you know when to pull off?  I think the following meme sums it up

hnk3woi0o2rl.webp.b42110d2db8522d4fa6a46532e5f7c87.webp

On 1/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Off topic.  Skip this if you're looking for 64SMS stuff

I'm from the northeast and have spent more than enough time driving through lake effect snow in northern OH and Western NY.  It never gets easy.  You just need to develop the skill set to drive in it, which is harder for you in Kentucky since you don't get as many opportunities to practice :ohnoez: You also need to make good judgements about when to drive and when to pull off the road.  How do you know when to pull off?  I think the following meme sums it up

hnk3woi0o2rl.webp.b42110d2db8522d4fa6a46532e5f7c87.webp

We get some good snows. Not ones like up there. Those get really bad up there.  I always drive slow and do fine. Ive got several years experience. In the northern part of the state where I live we had several foot deep and better snows. We get snow every winter.  Got a 4x4. Im always worried about the other idouts that cant drive a lick and speeding. I never seen so many. We was driving 40 on I 75 and a girl passed us and she had to have been running 70 looking at a phone. Got up the road a few miles and she was sitting in the median sideways. Ive never seen so many crazy drivers in my life. We usually get a few good snows every year. And several big hills and very curvy roads. Most around here have plenty of experience. Just the others out there is what makes me nervous. If people would just slow down and drive like they had some  sense  it wouldnt be as bad. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I have lived on Cape Cod in New England most my life and also in Gouverneur NY Upstate NY north of Watertown which is one of the snowiest areas in NY so I have lots of snow time and Ice time one of my jobs when I was younger was driving a Zamboni making ice.  Many a storm I had to plow the road with my bumper and drive with the window or door open to follow the tracks of the last poor soul ahead of me.  I do have to say the folks down south have a big problem slowing down. Not sure why you will get home slowing down it just takes longer, but sitting in a ditch it may take even longer to get home or not at all.  

On 1/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I have lived on Cape Cod in New England most my life and also in Gouverneur NY Upstate NY north of Watertown which is one of the snowiest areas in NY so I have lots of snow time and Ice time one of my jobs when I was younger was driving a Zamboni making ice.  Many a storm I had to plow the road with my bumper and drive with the window or door open to follow the tracks of the last poor soul ahead of me.  I do have to say the folks down south have a big problem slowing down. Not sure why you will get home slowing down it just takes longer, but sitting in a ditch it may take even longer to get home or not at all.  

We got in one of the worst snows Ive ever drove thru up there. Just south of Shroon Lake. Cant remember the interstate. We was headed north. I had to drive  over 100 miles in about a foot of snow on the black top. Couldnt see a bit. It was a white out. Seemed like it took forever crawling around 15 to 20 mph. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

6-8 today on top of the 6-8 yesterday, to go along with the 6-8 the day before..... It's not too bad, pretty much dead calm and up around 20 deg. Long as the wind's not blowing this is nothing. (thumbsu

20220107_160356.thumb.jpg.79e9930249bdef2bd9d120fe35c03cca.jpg

We got 10 inches out of that one. We was only supposed to get 3. 

On 1/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

We got 10 inches out of that one. We was only supposed to get 3. 

Yep, wasn't supposed to snow at all day. This is what the doppler radar looks like on the live feed, but that ain't what's happening. (shrug)

Snow.png.fa91a7fe54763fea48c18ce3378c879f.png

On 1/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Good old Lake affect snow that never gets figured in.

Ah....my old nemesis.  I loathe lake effect snow (and snow in genera) if it accumulates enough to have to be dealt with!! Man, am I living in the wrong place for that!!! But any place I'd actually want to live in has a snow problem.....I'm pretty weird there.  But the advantages (to me.  Someone else may feel very differently) far outweigh the snow.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, RWB said:

In snow, you'll get home faster if you drive a little slower. We picked up 4-inches early this morning, but many had 7-10 inches. while scraping off the DW, I found a 1964-D SMS silver dollar - well, that's I call it after being run over a dozen times. I think it has a  head and a tail.

Was there a 1964-D SMS Peace Dollar anywhere nearby to go with it? lol  Oops.....you said silver dollar!!  What an i-d-i-o-t I am today!! I really need to finish shaking this cold :facepalm:

Edited by Mohawk
I'm sick and I'm stupid today because of it.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:02 PM, Conder101 said:

Smashed Mangled and Scraped?

Our snowplows and salt trucks are not kind to coins, mail boxes, or the family cat.