• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kennedy sms halfs

43 posts in this topic

I came across this article just after I purchased a 1965 special mint set a week or two ago.

1965 Special Mint Set

In 1964, America faced an impending coin shortage due to speculation and hoarding of small change, thus requiring all the attentions of the Philadelphia Mint. The shortage was so severe, that the Mint broke a long-standing tradition, and produced 1964 dated coins, as late as 1966! Even worse, the Treasury discontinued production of Proof Sets and Mint Sets, so that full production capacity could be focused on coins for circulation. As an alternative, the Mint began producing Special Mint Sets containing coins that were, in effect, souped-up Uncirculated pieces. The "special" finish was brighter and shinier than on regular coins struck for general use, but short of the brilliant, mirrored surfaces of true Proof coins.

Even though these sets were struck and produced at the San Francisco Mint (then an Assay Office), the coins bore no mintmark. Three things worked against the 1965 Special Mint Sets: One, they contained no 90% Silver coins (the Dime and Quarter were made of Copper-Nickel; the Half Dollar only 40% Silver); two, the public failed to embrace the new finish; and three, the Mint priced the sets at an unprecedented $4.00 - mostly to reduce speculation, and partially to pay for a seventy-five cent registered mailing fee (instituted to reduce excessive losses through the mail system).

The Mint sent IBM order cards to 800,000 buyers of either the 1964 Proof or Mint Sets. On one side of the card, buyers were instructed to make remittance to the "officer in charge"; on the other side of the same card, a conflicting instruction asked that remittance be made to the Superintendent of the U.S. Mint." Fortunately, payments made either way were accepted.

Orders for the 1965 Special Mint Sets were accepted through June 15, 1966 and shipment of sets began on May 20th. The public's reaction to the Special Mint Sets was subdued - sales for 1965 were less than half of the combined sales of 1964 Proof Sets and Mint Sets.

About the sets: All of the Special Mint Set coins were struck at San Francisco on old presses obtained from the Ordnance Department, but without an identifying mintmark.

Most 1965 SMS coins have a brilliant finish. Cameo surfaces are rare in Nickel and Half Dollar and very rare in Cent, Dime and Quarter. Deep Cameo surfaces are extremely rare (the Cent and Dime may not exist as Deep Cameo).

Each set contained five coins: Lincoln Cent, Jefferson Nickel, Roosevelt Dime, Washington Quarter, and Kennedy Half Dollar.

Mintage: 2,360,000 sets

Original packaging: The coins in the 1965 Special Mint Sets were sealed in flat pliofilm packs along with a blue and silver disk identifying this as a Special Mint Set. The pack was sealed in a white envelope.

That being said , you can find 1964 sets in capital holders. Attached is a photo of one. This is what I plan on getting sometime soon.

A5B5749E-EC19-4B2C-87F4-CAD0B6118F12.jpeg

I found that info pretty cool made me open the rusty coffee can as I remembered I had stuffed a large amount of 1964 mint sets in ole rusty mine have all the shipping labels still attached from 64 and shipped from San Francisco sealed wonder what's now in them 

16414121850304792919956342839835.jpg

Guess my question is did the San Fran assay office ship out p and d mint sets seems when ordered they should have been shipped from Philly or Denver 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, coin#son said:

does any body know why it is so hard to find a 1964 kennedy sms half dollar? i have the 65 66 67 but cant find the 64.

Because they do not exist. No "Special Mint Sets" were made of 1964-dated coins. Regular proof and mint sets were issued as in previous years.

The coins being touted as "1964 SMS" are normal pieces from fresh dies. See the Smithsonian NNC for samples.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

If my memory is correct the coins were struck at Philly and Denver then packaged and mailed from SF.   But I might not be remembering that correctly.

That's correct. 1964 Mint Set coins were normal production at the two mints. Bagged, then shipped to SFAO for assembly and fulfillment. There was/is nothing unusual about the coins - except they might have fewer bag marks because the bags were handled less than through other delivery channels.

Actually 1964 special mint sets do / did exist. Examples have been certified by PCGS. They were thought to have belonged to may have belonged to them mint director Eva Adams. They were offered for auction in 1991. They were housed in the 5 coin plastic holder.

And the battle starts again.........for the record, I'm with RWB.  There are no 1964 SMS coins and TPGs and auction companies are not infallible.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, J P Mashoke said:

This is what you would get from the mint in 1964

Or this:

1964 P, D 10 Coin - U.S. Mint Uncirculated at Amazon's Collectible Coins  Store

The 1964 options were a proof set or a plain old, not special, mint set.  And that was it.  Just those two options and nothing more.  Next year was the first year of Special Mint Sets and they're actually not very special.  To B.C......this envelope matches up to what you posted, so you have 1964 Mint Sets.

Edited by Mohawk

Claiming "it looks like" does not make it so.

So true.  I just picked this coin up, which to my eye looks a lot like what many Special Mint Set coins look like.  It's proof like, it's well struck and it has some contrast to the devices, but it's not a proof.  However, I don't think the Muldenhutten Mint made any Special Mint Sets in 1953.......

Deutschland / DDR  10 Pfennig DDR 1953 E   seltenes Jahr / Münzzeichen  prfr / Erstabschlag von neuen Stempeln, UNC / Prooflike

To add a couple more facts. SMS coins were processed using slightly different operations than normal circulation coins. Those operations changed a little each of the three years of SMS issue. No 1964 coins received such defined handling differences.

There is NO FACTUAL JUSTIFICATION for an "authentication" company to certify or "invent" a misleading and incorrect label for the pieces. Just as there is no factual justifications for some of the "specimen" "special proof" " prototype" or other perversions of truth.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:04 PM, Mohawk said:

And the battle starts again.........for the record, I'm with RWB.  There are no 1964 SMS coins and TPGs and auction companies are not infallible.

Same here. If theres no proof or documents to say otherwise. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, B.C said:

Believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see 

Even seeing is not half of reality. Five people witness a traffic accident. On questioning, all five reports differ yet all five people saw the accident.

Numismatics must utilize orderly science-based examination of items and competent historical research if truth is to be identified. Adding false or misleading titles, and failure to publish complete data merely show how primitive and greed-based numismatics is.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, RWB said:

Even seeing is not half of reality. Five people witness a traffic accident. On questioning, all five reports differ yet all five people saw the accident.

Numismatics must utilize orderly science-based examination of items and competent historical research if truth is to be identified. Adding false or misleading titles, and failure to publish complete data merely show how primitive and greed-based numismatics is.

Well said....I agree with this statement 100%.  

On 1/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, RWB said:

Speaking of traffic accidents i probably seen 100 to 150 today. No kidding. This winter storm hitting us is horrible. Its only a 2 1/2 hour trip to where we come from and I just now made it home. We left at 9:30 this morning and its 6:40 now. We got behind that 50 car pileup on I64 in Ky. Was trapped there for a couple hours. Was almost in it. Sadly 5 or 6 lost their lives in it that I know of. Maybe more. Almost got hit on I75 right before they shut it down. This been one of the worst trips I ever been on. Luckily all our crew and I made it home safe. Ive never seen so many crashes in my whole life combined as what I seen today. There was vechicles sitting everywhere over in the ditches. We even seen a few crashes happen. I just hope the best that everyone gets where they are going safely. Polish_20220106_190414696.thumb.jpg.d72371f1ccff5eae1f19ab74891f30c7.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Speaking of traffic accidents i probably seen 100 to 150 today. No kidding. This winter storm hitting us is horrible. Its only a 2 1/2 hour trip to where we come from and I just now made it home. We left at 9:30 this morning and its 6:40 now. We got behind that 50 car pileup on I64 in Ky. Was trapped there for a couple hours. Was almost in it. Sadly 5 or 6 lost their lives in it that I know of. Maybe more. Almost got hit on I75 right before they shut it down. This been one of the worst trips I ever been on. Luckily all our crew and I made it home safe. Ive never seen so many crashes in my whole life combined as what I seen today. There was vechicles sitting everywhere over in the ditches. We even seen a few crashes happen. I just hope the best that everyone gets where they are going safely. Polish_20220106_190414696.thumb.jpg.d72371f1ccff5eae1f19ab74891f30c7.jpg

Man, that's just awful Hog.  The weather down in your region has been crazy this season.....I'm glad you and your crew made it home safe, my friend.  And I feel for anyone who got into a crash......winter conditions can be just evil when you're trying to drive.  I'm a native New Yorker and I work really hard to avoid driving in snow.....it scares the c*ap out of me!! A big advantage for the job I start on the 17th is it's entirely work from home.....I can avoid that to a high degree now.  To anyone impacted by this....please, stay safe.

Wow! Glad you eventually made it home OK. A couple of days ago there was a similar, but bigger mess on I-95 for about 60 miles - both ways. It took 27 hours to clear it, and another storm (the one from Kentucky that caught Hoghead515) is heading this way. I'm north and a little west of I-95 so we got only abut 3-inches the other day and expect about 4 inches early Thursday. Seems like a good day to read some coin books..... :)