• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best process for a rare coin

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I came across a rare coin in my collection that a similar one just sold at auction for a high record amount. I haven’t had it graded and am not sure how to submit for value of the coin. Is it better to take it to an authorized NGC dealer and have it handled that way or submit online? Need all the advice I can get on this as I am lost.

Thanks in advance.. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, Just Bob said:

If I were in your shoes, before I spent the money for membership, grading fees, shipping and insurance, etc., I would take it to a knowledgeable dealer, or even several dealers, and get a professional opinion.

Hello and Welcome, Floyd!

Bob has given you some very good advice.  I'd get the opinion of at least one professional dealer before spending the money of joining NGC and submitting the coin in queston.

Good Luck (thumbsu

On 1/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, Floyd Young said:

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am attaching three pictures, I know it’s a 1928 Chinese coin with I believe with Zhang Zuolin on it… any help or suggestions is welcomed.

No photos visible.

Open a reply window (bottom left). Drag the image file from your computer to the window. It will be visible to all once you hit the green "Submit Reply" button (lower right).

"L&M-871; K-688; KM-Pn90; WS-0111; Wenchao-pg. 558#901 (rarity three stars); Shanghai Museum-Mr. Shi Jiagan's Collection-pg. 124#585. The second finest certified on the PCGS population report, only just one finer by a mere half grade point (PCGS SP 64+). Obverse: Facing bust of Governor Chang Tso-lin in civilian dress, "Memorial coin of the Commander-in-Chief" in Chinese characters above; Reverse: Two crossed flags (the Five-Colored Flag of the Republic of China and the Iron Blood Eighteen star flag of the Wuchang Uprising); Chinese legend "17th Year of the Republic of China" above and "ONE DOLLAR" below." From Stack's-Bowers lot description and photos.

Your "coin" is one of thousands of counterfeits. A genuine example, which sold for over $2 million, is shown below.

cfe806d7-a883-43f4-a066-648460c332ae.thumb.jpg.abe2e01abf89eb458cf16a344d01c6a2.jpg