• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here’s a new one - USPS
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Just Bob said:

So, what was the weather issue? Floods? Tornados? Earthquakes? 

Couple inches of snow, but some white out conditions in the AM. 

I believe it to be staffing issues.  When a local post office failed to open up it made front-page news when it was disclosed none of the few clerks employed reported for work.  The USPS has been operating in the red for a very long time. The competition from other ground and air transportation companies have not made matters any easier.  IMNSHO.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, DWLange said:

Motto of the Postal Service: Two Postal Tributes Chiseled in Stone ---

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

The USPS has no official motto. That saying was by Herodotus referring to couriers during war. 

On 1/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, gmarguli said:

The USPS has no official motto. That saying was by Herodotus referring to couriers during war. 

I believe you are correct but the entire quotation is chiseled into the granite above the massive main post office entryway in New York City, one of the few buildings left from a time when fluted columns and a grand stone stairway were in vogue.  (It had since been renamed for an official, Foley?, and later re-named the Senator Daniel Moynihan Train Hall -- with postal services still available on the main floor, if memory serves.)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: deletion of one word.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, Alex in PA. said:

I've gotten USPS notices similar to yours.  But only in Pennsylvania and NEVER in Alaska!    xD

They will bring it to you in on dog sleds in Alaska. :roflmao:Them folks dont care. They wont let a little snow slow em down. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I lived in a Condo Area in Anchorage.  In January, with snow waist deep, the Mail Lady, with bag over shoulder, would deliver the mail on Reka Drive (near a half mile) on foot with wind blowing and temps to -25.  Not one day ever went by that my mail was not picked up and delivered.  

Now that's dedication!!! Wow!! I have to commend your mail delivery lady.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:03 PM, R__Rash said:

I was out plowing the snow away from the road side mail boxes awhile back and in came the mail wagon chained up on all four. I went to high school with the delivery lady and she commenced to tell me thanks for keeping the snow down all the time so her short little arms could reach the boxes from the window. Then she pulled out her green half gallon Stanley and gave me a few shots of hot coffee to warm up with while she put the mail in the boxes. Now that’s service.

Also some amazing dedication to be commended.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mohawk said:

Now that's dedication!!! Wow!! I have to commend your mail delivery lady.

Most of the mail delivered in Anchorage Proper is done by Mail Carrier.  Larger areas of metro Anchorage is by 4x4.  One day in December I had to take a kid to see his P.O.  It was -10, wind blowing, Blizzard conditions and I parked in front of the Juvie Building.  Ha!  On a day like this I don't have to pay for parking.  WRONG!  Came out to find a ticket on my windshield and this bundle of clothing struggling to walk against the wind headed away.  Meter Maid!.  Crazy huh?

On 1/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Most of the mail delivered in Anchorage Proper is done by Mail Carrier.  Larger areas of metro Anchorage is by 4x4.  One day in December I had to take a kid to see his P.O.  It was -10, wind blowing, Blizzard conditions and I parked in front of the Juvie Building.  Ha!  On a day like this I don't have to pay for parking.  WRONG!  Came out to find a ticket on my windshield and this bundle of clothing struggling to walk against the wind headed away.  Meter Maid!.  Crazy huh?

Yes indeed!!! It sounds like the long arm of the law is highly dedicated in Alaska as well!!