• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tampered NGC holders.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

There is no such thing as tamper proof!

they are tamper resistant. However it would be very difficult to get one open without causing cracks in the shell. But  a skilled person may be able to do it.

can you post some pictures on both sides of the slab for us to see?

On 12/31/2021 at 6:36 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Does anyone know how to tell if a holder has been tampered with?

I recently bought a coin that appears to have been opened and the coin switched. 

Are NGC holders “Tamper Proof?”

Did you check out “verify ngc certification” in the resources. I could be mistaken but there should be a picture in there of the coin that was certified with that number.

Edited by R__Rash

On 12/31/2021 at 7:43 AM, R__Rash said:

Did you check out “verify ngc certification” in the resources. I could be mistaken but there should be a picture in there of the coin that was certified with that number.

Not all NGC coins have a photo, NGC did not take pictures of every coin until recently.   So the coins in the older non prong holders seldom have any reference photos.

@Stackerdude21 We need photos of the slab and specifically where you have concerns about any tampering.   We have seen questions before about this and the usual issue is that on some slabs where the two slab halves are sonically sealed you may see a discoloration or area that looks melted.   This is normal and is more prevalent on some slabs than others.

I want to say I thought I saw a video on this about a year ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember the details but I think it also covered fake, replicated NGC holders too.  At any rate, if I see any holders that leave me wondering I pass on the coin altogether.  I've seen a few holders that look like somebody started a crack out and gave up.  Either that or they took some bad drops.  

I’ve bought some slabs that looked like they were used for teething. 
I try to size up the seller.  Think of possible ways it could look like it does. Balance it out with value of coin being cracked.  Always remember Caveat Emptor.  I agree a good workman can do wonders. Kinda “gone in 60 seconds “ ish .  And a good counterfeiter is well usually not detected 😳

If you look up the numbers online and are buying from a dealer like HA, GC, Northeast or a longtime dealer on EBay your chances are good that you got the real deal. Unless there in house graders got fooled then I would think no one would have known. I have some holders that I bought with chip, some that had a unknown chip when I got them mostly the staking tab and one with a crack but that is how you get deals.