• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Roosevelt Dime “S” & “D” mint
2 2

15 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 2:35 PM, DWitt said:

I did find it in the dirt after the rain. 
would environment damage cause an s and d mint mark? lol

No, but corrosion and damage could cause it to look like two different mint marks. You wouldn't believe some of the things that get posted on here with damage that looks like a letter or number.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, DWitt said:

Thanks for the responses ….what could I do to really know for sure if this is corrosion or not?

If you think that all the responses here are mistaken--and that's your prerogative--the next step would be spending $30-60 to send it in to a grading service.

I'm with everyone else....it's simply a corroded, damaged dime.  There is no OMM.  It's simply damage to the mint mark area of the coin, which is unsurprising given how beat up and heavily damaged that coin is.  It's had a very rough life and is worth face value, if you can find a machine or person to accept it.

On 12/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, Just Bob said:

No, but corrosion and damage could cause it to look like two different mint marks. You wouldn't believe some of the things that get posted on here with damage that looks like a letter or number.

This. It is a damaged D. There is no real S there. Period. 

On 12/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Private joke...  regardless, the result suggests a Really Rare Ratzie Reject and should be marketed as such.]  😉 

If Ratzie has an extra $9 Million laying around, he should talk to Researchcoins.  I think Researchcoins has a couple things that Ratzie may be the only buyer for....