• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Hello old hoop star I never said my Penn was rare but it's also alot links to checc also you can check on the heritage auction I just stated certain ones was rare with doubling which is tru and also someone in comments posted a picture and spoke on it

Just a suggestion...  you have been here about a week, more or less, and quite frankly stumbled and made a mistake reminiscent of mine:  I didn't really know who all the major players were, and coming from a chaotic non-coin-related site, dove right in managing to insult, attack, roughhouse and alienate many very distinguished members without knowing who they were until I received a PM (private message) opening my eyes to the damage I had done.

To this day, I am basically blocked 🚫 from contacting these members and, anonymous chatboards being what they are, many left accompanied by their loyal friends.

My best advice is always wait a decent interval to get to know the players many of whom date to the inception of the chat board concept introduced, it appears, not long after 9/11.

Just sit back and listen. Observe who is whom and whether other members deride him (like me) or defer to him (98.44% of the members here.)

Get the Red Book, read it, study it and refer to it often.  In the Old days (for me, that's before silver was taken out of coins) that was pretty much the standard reference available.  It takes time to learn the pecking order here and who's who.  You paid your dues; you might as well make the most of them. If you are serious about the "hobby," and not just a few coins you may have come across, read and listen.  If you feel reasonably secure in your position, by all means, speak up or register your agreement with what's said by tapping the heart shaped "button" at the bottom right part of the post. Read and refer to the Guidelines governing use of the chat board.  And don't forget: there is NO FREE SPEECH, NGC is not obligated to print your remarks and participation is not a right. It is a privilege that can be withdrawn without explanation or notice, at any time. 

I wish you and yours, all the best for a happy, healthy New Year!   🐓 

I, for one, am willing to give any new member with an interest in numismatics, a chance.  Sure he made mistakes; we all have. Have we all not tripped over an uneven sidewalk, fell down the stairs, slipped into a crevice or crevasse? To paraphrase Twain, "have we not a perpetual inclination" to misjudge others' actions for hostility and aggression, real or imagined?  

We cannot all be expected to react to what others' perceive as reaction, or premature dismissal, equally, coming as we do from all walks of life, social classes, educational backgrounds and resources.

To the Administrator:  the inclusion of a photo (if available) and brief resume, was pure genius!  It is always helpful to have an idea as to whom a member is directing his remarks.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, Woods020 said:

31 CFR § 82.1 Prohibitions:
Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or designee) or as otherwise provided in this part, no person shall export, melt, or treat:
(a) Any 5-cent coin of the United States; or
(b) Any one-cent coin of the United States.

There are differences between 18 U.S.C. Sect. 31- U.S. [Criminal] Code, 31 CFR Sect. 82.1 C.F.R.- Code of Federal Regulations  and the Federal Register - F.R.

All emphasize coin melting, etc., within the United States, or the importation of such coins melted, etc., elsewhere into United States from elsewhere.

Accordingly, I stand corrected.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:12 PM, Woods020 said:

You still haven’t provided evidence of where you read these are rare and valuable. It’s a very fair question because there is clearly more to the story. 

There may have been some doubled die coins in good condition that sold for a decent premium. Nothing like the infamous 1955 doubled die cents which you may be confusing. With that said yours exhibits nothing out of the ordinary other than the terrible condition it is in. Just because a couple of the hundreds of millions of these coins minted sold for a premium due to a unique and desirable attribute in no way makes all of the others worth anything other than face value. I fail to see your logic for your response so if I am missing something by all means call me out. 

In what way are the 1955 doubled dies "infamous"?  If anything, they are probably the most highly sought after famous coins in U.S. history. Neither infamous nor notorious. Just downright legendary exceeded perhaps in recognition by the 1943 copper cent.

Thanks quintus you cant tell these know it all nothing, they think they know everything but lack real coin knowledge, if they knew any thing about coins then they would know coins are rare rather double die can see or not there still copper it's new errors and new coins goin up everyday in the coin market