• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First love

9 posts in this topic

I posted this in the “for the love of silver” thread. With all the conversations of what where how and why people have collections I thought I would share this.

My dad got these from the gates mystery man in 1965 at a gas station he owned. The package is sealed and original. I thought many times since he gave them to me for safe keeping in 1999 that I should take them from the package, have them graded and packaged individually but always convinced myself they were much more valuable to me knowing the whole story behind them in the original package they were given to him in.  

IMG_1726.jpg

If these are all dated 1887, I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't silver plated replicas. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Edited by bsshog40

A nice story and fun family keepsake, from the photo it appears that they all may have been polished or perhaps as Bobby suggested maybe even plated.   It may just be the Lucite holder giving it that look but from only this photo you made the right choice to not break them up and attempt to have them graded.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, bsshog40 said:

If these are all dated 1887, I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't silver plated replicas. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

According to the Gates history on these, they are real, not replicas but they were cleaned before being encapsulated for the award. 

Edited by R__Rash

On 12/12/2021 at 1:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

A nice story and fun family keepsake, from the photo it appears that they all may have been polished or perhaps as Bobby suggested maybe even plated.   It may just be the Lucite holder giving it that look but from only this photo you made the right choice to not break them up and attempt to have them graded.

Very fond memory for me while growing up. I was 10 when he got them. The package has been around for quite some time and Taking a quick picture through the hard plastic containment they are in does not do them justice. Thanks

Edited by R__Rash

On 12/12/2021 at 4:19 PM, R__Rash said:

Again my point was, and thank you for noticing, what one person might think is junk is another person’s treasure. And so it goes with collecting, anything! 

Family is such an important value to teach. Leave them right where they are. The history as is is far more interesting and important. Perhaps a letter by you telling the story. Frame it all up or get pictures and frame them with the letters. Keep the coins in the safe. I get worked up when I see an opportunity to pass on the legacy and family history. JZ 😉

On 12/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Family is such an important value to teach. Leave them right where they are. The history as is is far more interesting and important. Perhaps a letter by you telling the story. Frame it all up or get pictures and frame them with the letters. Keep the coins in the safe. I get worked up when I see an opportunity to pass on the legacy and family history. JZ 😉

Yes, and so do I. Thank you